R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAxle Riser DIY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
RoadToad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle Riser DIY
    Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 10:40pm
Somewhere I saw a DIY riser kit that used $12 worth of 3/16" square 2"x4" tubing- 2 pieces 12" long.  I already bought those at a local metal shop. Now I need to get bolts and drill holes in my two risers. Anybody know where that set of instructions is on the net? 
 Ouch RoadToad
2015 RP179
SiberD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 9:23pm
Oh yeah, I check the torque on the lug nuts before a trip and at the campground before we leave. I may not post much but I do read here extensively ;)

Oh, another reason it took so long is that I got my right hand, dominant of course, caught up in a table saw in April and the darned thing still doesn't work too well!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:48pm
Make sure you check the lug nut torque often until they seat again.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
SiberD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 5:42pm
Thanks for the tutorial! Got mine installed today but it took me far longer as I ran into a few problems. Of course as far as projects go I had to make that obligatory trip to the hardware. 

Where I ran into problems were yes, those bolts are on tight and I don't have an impact wrench. I put some WD40 on them and got all but the last one! I ended up fashioning a redneck breaker bar by cutting a piece of pipe and sliding it over the 1/2 in drive. It didn't take much to break it loose with the extra leverage.

Next problem was that there was a  big ole weld burger right where the axle riser was to be installed and it was enough to cause a noticeable gap on that end. I got my angle grinder out and carefully ground down the burger without getting into the rail. Channel now fit snugly on both ends.

All righty, time to bolt everything into place and tighten to 120ft/lb. Getting close now......not. The lower bolts were easy enough, even though its slow going, but the ones on the frame bracket were a kitty "b" as I had to use an extension on the drive and it kept slipping off of the bolt head. That's where the hardware trip came in. Went and got a deep well 15/16in socket and that was just the ticket. All done with that, put the tires back on, tightened to 100 ft/lb and then raised the E2 receiver up, significantly too, with the rear end riding just slightly higher than the front.

I'm a happy camper and no longer worried about scraping my pins that hold the stabilizer bars on the E2 hitch any longer. This is how the camper should come from the factory!
Littlegun410 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 2:50pm
Since Forrest River no longer has a supplier for the Dexter axle version of the 4" riser(for a 2012 R177), has anyone found an alternative supplier or fabricated a set? Forrest River suggested I may get lucky and find a set in dealer stock somewhere. I called several of the largest FR dealers I could find and no luck. The part number for the kit I need is 10F10587A. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.
2012 R177
2003 F350
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 10:12pm
Here it is.  Looks like good info. here.  
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
electrician549 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 10:42am
Thank you for the information.  After measuring everything this weekend it looks like one bolt hole up will be all we need to move the hitch as well.  I imagine keeping the angle of the ball the same because the toungue wait will stay the same.  It looks like we won't have a chance to install them before this trip and it is nothing I want to rush through.
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 2:48pm
After you have installed the risers, you should check how level the trailer is when connected to the TV.
My four inch risers made a noticeable difference in matching the Pod tongue angle to my TV.  I had to reposition the TV's tow bracket one more bolt hole higher to keep the Pod angled slightly down in front.  By adding the risers, the downward angle would have been more than recommended for my weight distribution hitch if I hadn't adjusted the bracket.
Every trip I take proves to me the advantage of the risers. Of course my mileage was so bad already (11-12mpg) towing the Pod, that I found no real difference in mileage after adding the risers.
TIDALWAVE
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 9:05am
I have no idea where I got the Clark thing from. It must be cause you're like Superman or something. Kidding aside, thanks for all of this information. It's gonna make this easy and my stabilizers are going to be eternally happy not to mention my driveway.
Z-pod
Chuck Janet & Bogie the dog
'12 RP 177
1972 Shasta 1400
2005 Ford F-150 5.3L V8
FISHTAIL View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Chuck

Clark, It would appear in your picture of the installed riser that it is somewhat pitched where it is bolted to the frame. Is that something that I will need to be aware of? And thanks for this posting. It has given me the confidence to do this mod myself and save around $200 it looks like. (more money for awning lights, more flamingos I think)

Who's Clark?  Anyway, no, that's just what you see in the picture because that photo was taken before I put the riser under load and tightened the bolts.  It was hot out (100+) when I did this job, and my wife and I were supposed to be heading out soon, so I was in a hurry.  I didn't think to snap pictures at every juncture, and only remembered to take that one when I'd stood up to grab my impact gun.

At any rate, the risers install flush with the axle, frame, and bracket.  So no worries there.  It just looks off because of when I took the photo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>