R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGray Water Tank Overflow???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gray Water Tank Overflow???
    Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 10:18pm
I was sitting outside SpongePod last night (enjoying some adult beverages) while grand-daughter was showering. I noticed water pouring out underneath the pod, from the area of the gray water tank and dump valve.Shocked  I thought the tank had sprung a leak and I ran over and looked underneath, but saw no leak on the bottom of the tank it seemed to be coming from higher up.  I quickly pulled the dump handle (hose was hooked up) and once the dump started the gushing stopped. Inside, there was some water on the floor outside the shower and underneath the bed, but not alot. I accept responsibility for not keeping up with the tank level; but is there some sort of overflow valve or exit for water without pulling the dump handle or did something come loose?? This morning everything seemed fine.  I am perplexed. Confused
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 4:35am
Normally the gray water tank will, when over filled, flow into the shower.  That is because the shower drain is the lowest opening to the gray tank.  I think you might have a problem.  I haven't heard of any type of overflow valve on the outside of the tank.  But who knows, maybe there is such a thing.  Give you dealer a call (or any dealer), explain what happened and ask about it.  Be sure to let us know what you find out.  Good luck!

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 4:39am
Not sure what or where your leak might be.  I had a gray water overflow in the shower the first time I had her out and I can tell you that mine simply overflowed back through the drain so that by the end of my shower, I was standing in an inch of water.  The first thing I would do is check under your shower and see if your drain pipe is tight.  I'm not sure, but can't you take that white vent off the wall right below the bathroom door and service the under-shower area from there?  It sound to me like the rising water inside the gray water tank may have reached an area inside the shower drain pipe where things might not be water tight and you might not know it until standing water rose to that level.  I'm just thinking out-loud here.  I might be totally off, but I'm also a new Pod owner.    
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 8:52am
Sounds like you've got a leak to me, perhaps at the vent.  Time for a trip to the dealership for some warranty work.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 12:11pm
Thanks everyone for their input. I talked to the maintenance guy at the dealer and he thinks maybe the water was coming from a drain vent, especially I guess, since the leak stopped when I opened the dump valve. Anyway, he won't know until he looks underneath the pod and they are backed up for 2 weeks. I managed to crawl underneath and looked around, but could not see anything that screamed to me "water was coming from here." Time will tell.
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 4:27pm
My best guess agrees with the "vent theory".  Since those pipes usually don't/shouldn't carry water (only air) they (the manufacturer's) probably don't put a lot of effort into making sure they are sealed really well.   Let us know what you find out.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 10:54pm
If it was mine I would fill it up again to see where it was leaking.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
harleyguy1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 7:32am
For added safety, you may also want the service tech to inspect the black water vents/connections!
Marshal
2011 R-177
Longview, Tx
 Post Reply Post Reply