R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGastropod home from dealer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gastropod home from dealer
    Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 12:00am
We took Gastropod in for some minor things yesterday. She had her propane tank checked out. We had a slow leak from the hose at the trailer end which we discovered with our noses and the soapy water method.  I was sure we had not used that much propane as we cooked outside most of the time and turned off the hot water heater after warming the water up.
The new cover came in for the electrical panel. (one hinge pin-plastic!-had broken). They put the new one on. Very technical workLOL
At any rate it is good to have her back and ready to be packed for the big trip.
B
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:54am
Very good!  Now you are all set to go.  Have fun!

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 7:21am
Originally posted by Snowbound

I was sure we had not used that much propane as we cooked outside most of the time and turned off the hot water heater after warming the water up.
B

Well Bette, you should be back out camping in the Gastropod soon then, right? 

You made a statement that got me wondering again, and I wonder if the techies out there could answer my question.  In regard to having hot water and efficient propane use, is it better to leave the propane turned on all the time, or should you turn the water heater off and only turn it on before you need to shower or wash dishes?

Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

FISHTAIL View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 8:21am
I'd leave it off until you need it.  It only takes a few minutes to heat it up.  Otherwise you'll be using up propane to maintain temperature on a tank of water you won't be using for hours.
Tri-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 8:28am
When we have electricity we just leave ours on. Although I like the idea of turning it on when you need it but no electrical switch inside so that becomes a hassel going outside to turn it off. My propane regulator makes a strange noise so we haven't used the propoane until we get that checked out. Clark
2010 PR 176 sold 2012 replaced with
2013 SP 240 w outside kitchen
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
Me, My Honey, and Max our GSP
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 11:39am
We usually use propane for the heater as we don't often have electrical sites.
We have found that if you get up in the morning, turn on the water heater and  have breakfast in your pjs, by the time you are finished you will have hot water for dishes and showers. We leave it on until after showers then we have hot water, then warm for the rest of the day . We turn it on again before supper so the water is hot again for dishes and stays warm for the rest of the evening. By doing this we save propane, dollars and in a very small way the enviroment.

Hodge, we are off next week for the beginning of the rest of our lives. Tom retires on the 22 and we leave THAT DAY! for five or six weeks on the road. We'll be home for a couple of weeks then off again for another month. Gastropod was his retirement gift. This feels like every Christmas of my life all rolled together. I can't wait, I can't WAIT, I CAN"T WAIT!!!
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 5:45pm
Well Bette, Congrats to you and Tom!  I hope you have wi-fi or broadband and stay in touch with us during the next few adventurous weeks.  I have another year and a half to retirement - can't wait!
Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 5:56pm
As a biologist and a former Cape Codder, (although I guess it never leaves your system!) I love the name Gastropod!! Glad she's back to rights! Enjoy your big trip!

We had both electric on and propane on for three days, two nights last weekend for the HW heater. The color wheel on the propane tank hardly deflected and I heard it fire up only once during one night to maintain temp. I will grant it was 90 in the daytime and only 75 at night. That meant the frig wasn't the coldest it could be (see the other thread today). We used it for a couple of short (tepid) showers to de-sweat and to wash the dishes.

Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 8:17pm
Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  I couldn't be happier for you both!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 11:14pm

The system is designed to maintain temperature with the electric element, its trigger temp is slightly higher than the propane system.  Only when you turn the shower on will the propane kick on, usually.  So if you have full hookups don't worry about using the propane.  However, the propane system will bring the tank up to temperature much faster than the electric system so you'll want it on if more than one person needs to take a shower in the morning.  One person or showers throughout the day and you could get by with only the electric.

On our popup I used to go through the trouble of going outside and putting it in pilot-only mode between showers.  I'm an ultra-conserve-it-all-greenie kind of person.  Drives my wife nuts sometimes.  Then one day I forgot and I also happened to spend the whole day sitting on the far side of the camper.  Around dinner time I realized I only heard it fire up once or twice, and only for a few minutes.  I also knew from experience that the water stayed quite hot all day even when the burner was off which confirmed that it wouldn't need to come on much to keep it hot.

I didn't bother turning it off after that.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>