R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed help - black tank won't dump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help - black tank won't dump
    Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 2:00pm

kymooses, yup, filled to the top of the toilet valve.

Even worse I noticed water dripping out from the cabinet under the sink and opened the door to find the connections to the sink drain were loose so with the black tank backed up into that pipe it was leaking.  All over our plates, cups, foil, ziplock bags, etc.  So my wife just handwashed everything outside and I just spent the last 1 1/2 hours messing with the tank.  

I had an idea to fill the gray water tank, then use that to fill the sewer hose, then close the gray valve and lift the hose up in the air to backwash into the black tank.  I got some out but not much.  Maybe enough to handle teeth brushing and a night time bathroom run.  I think part of the problem is even though I have the risers my dump valve is barely higher than the sewer connection.  I can't talk myself into disconnecting everything and going for a drive.  Yet.

Fishtail, on mine there is the valve then a 90 degree bend to the hose connection.  Maybe 4" total on the outside of the bend, 3" on the inside.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 3:37pm
Very very sorry to hear about the latest bit with it.  I'm not sure enough bleach exists in the world to steralize everything if something ever leaked inside.  Dead

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:26pm
At least that water was 99.9% from the sink itself, probably nearly nothing from the tank down below!
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by techntrek

At least that water was 99.9% from the sink itself, probably nearly nothing from the tank down below!

CHEERS to that!
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 7:15pm
Doug, I'm confuzored! Wacko  When talking about water coming from under your sink, are you saying that your sink drains into your black tank?  Mine drains into the gray tank, along with the shower.

And I won't ask how you managed to fill your 35 gallon black tank just using the toilet.  But, maybe I've just answered my own question... it sounds like your sink does drain into the black tank.

Anyway, the Valterra knife valves are fairly simple, well made devices.  A quick google search showed no complaints of Valterra valves failing.  In fact, just the opposite: when electric or remote-cable valves fail, they're replaced with manual Valterra's like we have on our R-PODs.

I assume that everything feels fine when you pull the handle on the valve open and closed?  I'm pretty sure that, if it was broken, it'd feel very different.  So, I suspect that you've got a clog.

Best solution I've got is the obvious one: park the trailer somewhere where the ground can get messy.  Put on a pair of rubber boots, gloves and old clothes.  Grab something long, strong and flexible (like 3/4" PVC pipe), open your black valve and start poking up there like you're givin' the pod a prostate exam.

Once you've drained the tank, you'd better get your hand up in there to make sure you've pulled out everything that's clogging the valve... hopefully, its just a couple of paper towels.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 7:23pm
For techntrek:

Star
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 10:01pm

LOL!  Love that movie.  No Y connectors in my 'pod!

I thought the sink went to the gray tank, too, but we haven't had a problem under the sink until now.  I think some jurisdictions consider sink water to be black so maybe that is the reason.

The valve doesn't feel any different than before, and now that I've shoved a stick up the pipe past the valve I know its open.  My first solution is going to be to pack up a little early on Sunday and then go for a drive for 15 minutes, come back to my site and try to dump.  If that is a no-go I have a 4-5 hour drive to my dealer when I leave here so that should slosh things around really good.  I figure they must have a dump connection somewhere for when they have to work on tanks so I'll try to dump again when I get there.  If they don't, well I guess its going to have to wait until I get it home.  I really hope option 1 works, the thought of hauling 35 gallons of waste water to the dealer and then home is a real pisser.  Thumbs Down

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 6:29pm
The 'pod has been dropped off at the dealer for a scheduled removal of the decals on the front and rear.  I couldn't get the tank to dump at the campground even after driving it around and putting it up on all the blocks I had to get it higher and angled slightly towards the drain valve.  I didn't see a dump connection at the dealer so I have no idea if sloshing around for several hours fixed the problem and won't until I get it home in a week or two.  Its going to smell GOOD after baking in their lot in the sun!
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by techntrek

The 'pod has been dropped off at the dealer for a scheduled removal of the decals on the front and rear.  I couldn't get the tank to dump at the campground even after driving it around and putting it up on all the blocks I had to get it higher and angled slightly towards the drain valve.  I didn't see a dump connection at the dealer so I have no idea if sloshing around for several hours fixed the problem and won't until I get it home in a week or two.  Its going to smell GOOD after baking in their lot in the sun!

Sorry mate, was really hoping to hear better news about that.  Ouch
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 9:06pm
Well, Tech, you're bound to be an expert in this new topic by the time this stinking situation is resolved!
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>