R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectroluminescent wire as a "tacky light"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electroluminescent wire as a "tacky light"
    Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 10:38pm

Also known as EL wire and glow wire.  We used "tacky lights" for years on our popup but only used them a few times on our 'pod.  A few years ago we bought this EL wire from IKEA on a closeout but never found a good use for it - its too dim to use as a primary light and we didn't have anything that needed an accent.  On our latest trip we decided to try it on the 'pod.  We like it so much I'm considering buying more, this time I'll get a brighter version.

There are 9 or 10 colors available depending on the site you visit online, it comes in various thicknesses and brightness.  It is waterproof so you can leave it up in the rain, but I've read that some of the colors use a secondary coloring in the outer sheath that can fade in the sun over time.  It is very low power so it can be run from AA battery packs if you are dry camping, from your 'pod's battery if you buy a model that can accept 12 volt input, or from an AC power adapter.

This is how ours look right now.  We have two lengths of about 42 feet each, enough to circle our 10 X 10 EZ-up and also outline our Dome.  Note that everything in this picture is brighter than it looks in person - the sky is dark and that is not the sun but the full moon.  The EL wire is much darker too, I couldn't read by this but the stuff I'm going to order next I think I could.  Sorry for the blurry picture, I was handholding my camera on a long exposure here...

If you decide to buy this stuff, unless you are handy with a soldering iron make sure you buy it pre-soldered.  Many places sell it - especially in bulk lengths - in its raw form if you aren't careful.  Here is just one place that has it, I haven't bought from here but they have some pictures of the various colors.  Mine is a cool blue almost white.

http://www.elbestbuy.com/

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Damour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 1:25am
wow... it's hot ! good job
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 9:29am
Wow, I thought this was just regular Rope Lighting at first but I checked out that website and that stuff is too cool!  Smile

Time to bust out the soldering iron and get to work!
FISHTAIL View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 10:09am
I like it.  So does the wife.  We'll probably order some soon.  I wonder how long those battery packs last...
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 11:13am
Awesome.  Although, being a kid at heart, I'd probably wrap that light around my body and run around the RV park singing Dixie.  LOL
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 11:41pm

I've seen costumes made from the stuff, like "stick man".  That was funny.

Yeah, it is much more like a really long flexible florescent light than a rope light.  No single points of light, just one long one.  There is a sister product called EL tape, too.  Something else to blow some money on, LOL.

Considering their small amperage draw they should last quite a while on a battery pack.  Part of the equation is how bright your model is and another is how long it is.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply