FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed advice from RPodders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advice from RPodders
    Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 5:26pm
Hello everyone,

My name is JD and I just joined your forum. I do not own an RPod - Yet- but am seriously considering one . Before we go much further in our research I would like to ask for your feedback and advice.

First, we have Chalet hardsided pop up which we have used and loved for the past five years. It's tows easily and dosen't kill our gas mileage, we get between 18-19.5 towing with a 2010 Rav4 6 with the towing package but no weight distribution hitch. The Chalet is easy to use and has never had a serious mechanical or operating problem. In short we truly enjoy it but want to look for something a bit larger with a shower and bathroom so we can spend even more time camping. The Rpod 173 may be just what we need if we can tow it without dropping our mileage too far.

Does anyone tow with a Rav 4 6 with tow package and if so how does it do? What's the gas mileage like?

If you have a173 how do you like sleeping on the coach? My wife and I are big so we would use both the dinnette and the coach for sleeping.

What about the quality of construction?

Any recurring problems with the major components?

Can you purchase just an awning or do you need the entire R Dome.

How do you like the R dome?

What about warranty issues? How responsive is Forrest River on warranty issues?

Well that's enough for now. I do appreciate any feedback I can get. When we started looking at Chalets I joined thier owner forum and they we exceptionally helpful. Thanks so much for your help and advice.

Sincerely,

JD

JD
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 8:53pm
Hi JD,
Welcome to the forum.
I can answer your question about the R-dome.  There is no awning specifically made the r-pod but some have had theirs specially made to fit in the dome track.
We love our r-dome and put it up if we are going to be camping more than just overnight.  It doubles the size of the living space and keeps mosquitoes and rain out very effectively. It is far easier to put up with two people and a two-step ladder but can be done by one person.
We have only had to work with our dealership on a few minor warranty issues and they were fixed up very quickly.
We were towing originally with a Grand Caravan 3.3 V6 but my husband did not like the rpms so we moved up into a Dodge Durango which has lots of pull.
The r-pod seems to make getting over 12 mpg almost impossible. It is not as gas efficient as it looks but....
we love ours.
B
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
tdrace View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 9:29pm
I have a 173 and I always sleep on the couch. I just let it down, very easy to make the bed. I pulled mine with a Hyundai v-6 with no problem.Love my R-POD!
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
NorthStarPodders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 9:34pm
JD, we bought a gently used 2009 173 model a few months ago, and I've slept on both beds. I find the couch to be very comfortable. I usually let my teenage son have the dinette bed, because he's a lot taller than me. I bought a 3-inch memory foam topper to put over the cushions for that bed, and we keep it stashed behind the couch when not in use.

We're still pretty new to rPodding, but we're very pleased with the quality so far and haven't had any problems with any of the mechanicals.

We set the rDome up for the first time a few weeks ago. It went up very easily. (Great tips on here for that.) Loved the extra space and the fact that our lawn chairs stayed dry after rain storms. Also, the inside of the camper seems to stay cleaner with the rDome as sort of the "mud room." :-)

Good luck with your research, and happy camping, whatever you decide to do!

2009 173
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 11:14pm

Most people here report getting mpgs around 12, but with a heavy headwind some have gone as low as 8 on some trips.  No major component or quality of construction issues.  There were some things in the first production run or two but nothing lately.  Some here have had custom awnings made, others like the R-Dome, and others don't.  We prefer our EZ-up awnings and use them most of the time, reserving our Dome for weekend trips where we know it will rain most of the time and for week-long trips.  Several have had issues with the decals on the front and back peeling (most likely due to ice running down the curved sides) and they've been replaced w/o issue.  I haven't heard anything about problems with major appliances.

Welcome!

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 12:28am
We, too, had a Chalet, but it was a larger model with a shower and bathroom. If you like Chalets, that may be something you would like to look at. Unlike you, we weren't satisfied with the build quality of the Chalet in our five years of ownership.

We now have an RPod 175 and feel it is much better built. The Chalet did have a full sized queen rather than a short queen as do RPods. That didn't matter to us, as we're both short. The couch in our 175 is too short to sleep an adult comfortably.

Our initial tow rig ( Dodge Dakota w/tow pack, 3.92 rear end, and 4800 tow rating) didn't tow the RPod nearly as well as it did our Chalet. The fact that an RPod will push a lot more wind than a Chalet will tax your RAV a lot. Our tow MPG went from 13-14 with the Chalet to 9-11 MPG with our RPod. A RAV is also a short wheelbase SUV, so the added wind buffeting with the taller RPods will probably cause some hobby horsing and sway problems without a WDH/sway control.

I don't want to sound too negative about your trying to tow an RPod with a short wheelbase, but I wrecked a 20' Layton slabside that had a WDH and sway control, because my short wheelbase full sized pickup couldn't be controlled during  an extreme gust along the Columbia River Gorge. Wheelbase is very important with tall trailers. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 6:05am
Originally posted by JD

It's tows easily and dosen't kill our gas mileage, we get between 18-19.5 towing with a 2010 Rav4 6 with the towing package but no weight distribution hitch.  The Rpod 173 may be just what we need if we can tow it without dropping our mileage too far.  Most everyone gets about 10-12 mpg, regardless of what they tow with.  The short wheel base of the RAV may be a concern, as mentioned.

If you have a173 how do you like sleeping on the coach? My wife and I are big so we would use both the dinnette and the coach for sleeping.  I am a former 173 owner and I slept on the couch all the time.  I thought it more comfortable and convenient than the dinette.  Big-OK.  Tall-some over 6' have problems.

What about the quality of construction?  I was very satisfied with the overall quality of construction.  I only had a couple of minor caulking issues that I fixed myself in just a few minutes. 

Any recurring problems with the major components?  Again, none.  Everything did what it was supposed to do.

Can you purchase just an awning or do you need the entire R Dome.  See other comment - Forest River only has the dome available. 

How do you like the R dome?  I never took mine out of the bag.

What about warranty issues? How responsive is Forrest River on warranty issues? N/A

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search!  Smile
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 9:47am
At first, I was unsure as to what you're asking advice for, but then it appears you are asking for advice the R-Pod itself.  I'm in the minority, especially being on one of the two R-Pod forums saying this, but I would never own or recommend an R-Pod again.  My unit was plagued with issues from the get go and continues to have issues.  Yes, I've had things fixed under warranty, so that process seems to work OK, however this thing should have never been issues to begin with.  The build quality of these units (again, using mine as the example) is terrible.  Very shoddy installation, with the "who gives a sh*t" attitude during the build and installation process.  Saw dust all over the place, wooden knock-outs not removed, wires strung all over the place without be nicely run or secured-down, pipe opening that haven't been filled and the list goes on and on.

I've had 2-sets of decals blister and peel off, had to have all my moving window replaced due to bad installation and the AC fan went.  The TV was replaced once is is acting up again.  This is just a few of my issues.  Like always, I'll get my b*lls busted for posting this here, but if you wanted only positive opinions, I'd expect you would have noted that.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Damour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 10:07am
I buy an rp 171 this week and we adore it . The R-Dome too, for us it's a big part or our R-Pod.

And we are two big people too and get fine it the queensize bed.

Good luck to take your decision.
rp 171 , from Québec with not a good english writing lol
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 3:10pm
 The RPod being our first trailer to camp with, I was surprised the build quality is far from a automobile that is what I was trying to compare it to. We have a 2009 as was mentioned the first ones had problems but I understand they have been corrected except for possibly the sawdust and chips of wood not cleaned up. As for ours it is still a pain to open and close our windows we had it back to the dealer and little was done to fix the problem. It is now out of warranty. The newer RPods I believe may have a little different made window there may not be a problem with windows any more. Over all I think the RPod is well built for the price it cost to buy one. And by reading reviews there have been many with the same concerns you have with quality, and after comparing the Rpod to other campers they chose the Rpod. Not including myself but I think there are a lot of intelligent and experienced campers on this form who have chosen the Rpod as there camper.       David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>