Topic ClosedCastaways RV south of Ocean City, MD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Castaways RV south of Ocean City, MD
    Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 7:03pm

We had a great week camping once again south of Ocean City, MD, after being home only for about 12 hours after going to/from Florida for the shuttle launch.  This is a 5-star resort, although we still miss the old mom-and-pop operation it used to be until a few years ago.  We often had the private beach to ourselves and now it is full of campers.  But, now that the kids are older its probably better for them because there are lots of new friends to play with.  And they have a full bar on the beach so we enjoy some adult beverages fresh from the blender.  Of course we gave several tours of the 'pod and many people waved and said they liked the camper as they walked or drove by on their golf cart.

We took the long way home to drop our camper off at the dealer for some work before we head to Maine in a few weeks.  We were lucky to just miss a major accident on Route 1 in Delaware which shut the road down for hours (it also shut down I-95).  We got off DE-1 at 1:40 for lunch and at 1:45 a driver ran off the road just about where we would have been at that time, into a parked crane.  She did not survive.  We got caught in the traffic mess and lost an hour - but I would rather that than either get hit by an out of control driver or see the aftermath of the accident that we would have seen.

After dropping off the camper in Adamstown, PA we took a 30-second trip down the road for an obligatory dinner and ice cream at an old mom-and-pop stand called Boehringer's (I think that is how its spelled) which has been there over 60 years.  If you are on US Rt-222 going past Rt-272 you must go west 1 minute for some extra calories.

Oh, and they had a new 177 on the lot, similar layout as the 171 but with the slideout... and now my wife is bugging me to see how a trade-in would work out... Confused

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by techntrek

We had a great week camping once again south of Ocean City, MD, after being home only for about 12 hours after going to/from Florida for the shuttle launch.  

Oh, and they had a new 177 on the lot, similar layout as the 171 but with the slideout... and now my wife is bugging me to see how a trade-in would work out... Confused

Glad you had a good time!  At the risk of being stoned to death by the Podders, I suggest, before signing on the dotted line, you take a look at the Surveyor Sport line.  Same everything as the Pod, same towing mpgs, a little wider, no axle risers needed, and a dry bath. Wink
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 8:52pm
LOL, don't give my wife any ideas!  (they do look nice, though)  
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 9:32am
Originally posted by David

[QUOTE=techntrek]
[At the risk of being stoned to death by the Podders, I suggest, before signing on the dotted line, you take a look at the Surveyor Sport line.  Same everything as the Pod, same towing mpgs, a little wider, no axle risers needed, and a dry bath. Wink

The day that we bought, we compared a Sport 191T with the RP 177. They were actually sitting side-by-side. It was a really hard decision but when it came down to it we decided we didn't want to deal with any canvas but most importantly The 177 is just so darn cute. I really wanted people to point at us when we drive by and say "Hey look at that". And they do. (I think they are pointing for the right reasons. Hmmm, maybe not). I have to tell you it was a hard decision and the 191T really has a lot going for it. I too would suggest a comparison. Maybe your dealer like ours will have both on the lot.
Z-pod
Chuck Janet & Bogie the dog
'12 RP 177
1972 Shasta 1400
2005 Ford F-150 5.3L V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 10:24am
One thing we really like about the 'pod vs. our old popup is the lack of canvas, which would be an argument for the 177.  I also noticed the tongue weight of the Sport is well over 350 pounds, so that excludes it with our current tow vehicle.  I'll be upgrading it within the next 1-2 years but we still need to be able to camp between now and then.

I know many popup owners love the tent ends and it did have some advantages (like lots of extra room for little extra money) but it lets in noise, heat/cold, and light, and if its wet when you leave the campground you have to open it up at home to dry out.
 Post Reply Post Reply