R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrip Planning Tips?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trip Planning Tips?
    Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 11:08am
I usually just plan and reserve the big destination(s) and leave the little details for the road.  Of course, if we're crossing the border, homeland security likes to know where we're staying for the first night in the U.S.; I make sure to have a printout of the reservation.

Choosing a spot to overnight or as a home base for being tourists is much different for us than choosing a spot for more traditional camping.  A KOA or similar resort that specializes in short stays and offers amenities like swimming pools, hot tubs and mini putt is right up my alley.  In general, I like to stay away from resort parks full of seasonal residents with only a handful of transient sites.

As far as guidebooks, I prefer the Trailer Life Directory (Good Sam).  The parks are regularly visited (for the most park, annually) and the reviews and information are up-to-date.  The ratings focus on cleanliness and general appearance.  In addition to the printed guidebook, they have a CD version available- I've bought this every other year for the past six years and load it on my netbook to take with us.  The software has excellent route planning and I find identifying and choosing between different campgrounds much easier than looking them up in a phonebook-sized guide.

As far as navigating, I prefer my satnav.  I've got a TomTom that came with free quarterly updates for life, which keeps the maps and the Points-of-Interest (POI) database current.  I find the POIs invaluable, whether looking for a gas station, a bank machine, WalMart or a shopping mall in the local area.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 10:45am
We'll sit down in January or February and figure out places we want to go that year.  In the past there have been a few gotta-go locations, same time same channel every year.  Plus one or two new places.  But we've had so many "I'd like to go to's" lately we decided recently that next year we are going to completely change it up.

We like reservations.  Even if we decide to go someplace for the weekend last-minute I'll get online and make a reservation.  I want to know I have a spot.

We love GPS and Google Maps.  When we go on a big tour of the US in a few years I'm going to install a laptop mount in the tow vehicle for GPS, weather and traffic updates.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
marshwatcher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 9:30am
All you experienced Podders out there, I have a question. How do you plan your trips?

I tend to be one who likes a mix of planning to be certain places at certain times but also take on the spontaneous as well. I have this, perhaps, irrational concern of not finding a port if we are too spontaneous or ending up in a less desirable camp ground.

BTW, I still like a good old fashioned road atlas for navigating. (Anyone else?)

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12