R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrip Planning Tips?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trip Planning Tips?
    Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 9:30am
All you experienced Podders out there, I have a question. How do you plan your trips?

I tend to be one who likes a mix of planning to be certain places at certain times but also take on the spontaneous as well. I have this, perhaps, irrational concern of not finding a port if we are too spontaneous or ending up in a less desirable camp ground.

BTW, I still like a good old fashioned road atlas for navigating. (Anyone else?)

Thanks!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 10:45am
We'll sit down in January or February and figure out places we want to go that year.  In the past there have been a few gotta-go locations, same time same channel every year.  Plus one or two new places.  But we've had so many "I'd like to go to's" lately we decided recently that next year we are going to completely change it up.

We like reservations.  Even if we decide to go someplace for the weekend last-minute I'll get online and make a reservation.  I want to know I have a spot.

We love GPS and Google Maps.  When we go on a big tour of the US in a few years I'm going to install a laptop mount in the tow vehicle for GPS, weather and traffic updates.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 11:08am
I usually just plan and reserve the big destination(s) and leave the little details for the road.  Of course, if we're crossing the border, homeland security likes to know where we're staying for the first night in the U.S.; I make sure to have a printout of the reservation.

Choosing a spot to overnight or as a home base for being tourists is much different for us than choosing a spot for more traditional camping.  A KOA or similar resort that specializes in short stays and offers amenities like swimming pools, hot tubs and mini putt is right up my alley.  In general, I like to stay away from resort parks full of seasonal residents with only a handful of transient sites.

As far as guidebooks, I prefer the Trailer Life Directory (Good Sam).  The parks are regularly visited (for the most park, annually) and the reviews and information are up-to-date.  The ratings focus on cleanliness and general appearance.  In addition to the printed guidebook, they have a CD version available- I've bought this every other year for the past six years and load it on my netbook to take with us.  The software has excellent route planning and I find identifying and choosing between different campgrounds much easier than looking them up in a phonebook-sized guide.

As far as navigating, I prefer my satnav.  I've got a TomTom that came with free quarterly updates for life, which keeps the maps and the Points-of-Interest (POI) database current.  I find the POIs invaluable, whether looking for a gas station, a bank machine, WalMart or a shopping mall in the local area.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 11:12am
Hi Marshwatcher,
Our planning sounds a lot like yours. I like reservations if we are staying more than overnight but am willing to wing it  some nights. We travel across the country every summer but this will be our first cross-country with the pod instead of a tent. We know all the good campgounds and not-so-good ones on the route and don't expect we will have trouble getting a site but possibly may lose out on electric now and then if we stop later in the day.
For other trips, although we have and use our GPS, I still like our big road atlas for a better over-all picture.
I really enjoy not having reservations the most, as you can decide to stop earlier than normal or stay an extra night at someplace nice but most of the time time pressures make that impossible. I am hoping that will change somewhat after Tom's retirement this week!
B
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 6:37pm
Our major trip planning is usually based on a 3 day/night destination with day trips to the surrounding area. Usually two or three destination stops if it is a week trip with two weekends. We are map lovers, and Chris is an ace navigator- give her a map and you'll soon be on roads you thought couldn't exist, let alone get you someplace! So we plan out the major routes using the Internet, especially AAA, and then wing it for our daily excursions. Being map folks, we have a collection of DeLorme state atlases to guide us, and pick up official state road maps at the entry visitor centers. Next on the planning guide, after retirement (if it happens in the next couple of years) is the round the country jaunt, with the goal of filling up that state map! Then we'll really see how we are able to plan our trips.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 1:28pm
We're huge planners.  With lots of our favorite campgrounds the site we love the best fill up almost immediately, so for those that allow early reservations we always get those set up as soon as we can.

We keep a pretty extensive filing systems of all our campgrounds, favorites spots, backup spots if our favorites are reserved, maps, directions and local things to do.

I'm rather bad about wanting everything planned thoroughly ahead of time.  Once we hit camp then it's time to relax, know that everything is in the right place and that no surprises will pop up during our trip.  Except for the weather of course, some of those rainstorms just can't be planned for!  LOL

We already have one trip in June and one in July already booked, paid for and our favorite sites reserved for next year.
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by techntrek

We'll sit down in January or February and figure out places we want to go that year.  In the past there have been a few gotta-go locations, same time same channel every year.  Plus one or two new places.  But we've had so many "I'd like to go to's" lately we decided recently that next year we are going to completely change it up.

We like reservations.  Even if we decide to go someplace for the weekend last-minute I'll get online and make a reservation.  I want to know I have a spot.

We love GPS and Google Maps.  When we go on a big tour of the US in a few years I'm going to install a laptop mount in the tow vehicle for GPS, weather and traffic updates.

Geez man, just get a droid..lol.  The GPS Navigation App on Android Phones IS google Maps, it's free, and it has traffic on it.  The phone can also show you weather pretty easily, there are tons of apps out there for that.  The best part, is they already have car mounts for the phones, I use mine all the time.

OP, I too like reservations.  Even last week, when I took the camper out for one night to a local campground I called first and made a reservation.  I'd hate to show up someplace and not be able to stay there because I didn't call ahead.

We also tend to plan a few "events" while on our trips, and the rest of the time we usually just wing it.  So say we were traveling to Oregon, we'd pick a few must see things, pick a primary and a backup day to do those things, and spend the 'unplanned' time doing whatever strikes our fancy.

My parents on the other hand plan EVERYTHING.  Every day has a set group of activities to be accomplished, which usually involve lots of hiking.  They just got back from a two week trip to Scotland, and they had things planned out for every single day they were there...although probably about half the time was spent traveling between locales.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 4:42pm

Don't worry, as my user name implies, I have high-tech phones (my wife, too).  My next phone, hopefully by this weekend, will be a Samsung Infuse (4.8" screen).  My current phone has a 5" screen (HTC Advantage).  I like 'em big, customised, rooted and unlocked.  But even 5" isn't big enough for me going down the road.  I want to see everything in one glance, plus whoever is in the passenger seat can do some surfing in-between.  Geek

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Don't worry, as my user name implies, I have high-tech phones (my wife, too).  My next phone, hopefully by this weekend, will be a Samsung Infuse (4.8" screen).  My current phone has a 5" screen (HTC Advantage).  I like 'em big, customised, rooted and unlocked.  But even 5" isn't big enough for me going down the road.  I want to see everything in one glance, plus whoever is in the passenger seat can do some surfing in-between.  Geek

Why not just use a Tablet then? :).  I'm holding out for the bionic....hopefully it gets released one of these days.
Iteach5th View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 5:54pm
It all depends..
On my trip to Yellowstone and the Tetons I had reservations set in those mail locations. On out trip from NY out there we found places on the road as wee traveled. Used my atlas, GPS and Good Sam book. When I go for a weekend or a spot I want to stay for a while, I'll make sure I have a reservation first.
On the road, I like the freedom to keep driving or stop early.

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right"- Henry Ford

2011 RP-177
2009 Jeep Cherokee
1982 Coleman Redwood pup
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>