Topic ClosedLooking at a new POD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking at a new POD
    Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 6:01am
Originally posted by akwagon

Reading the forum Im still not clear of what people think the quality of this trailer is compared to other manufactures?
Personally, I would say the build quality is as least as good, or perhaps better, as any other manufacturer, in this price range.  A couple have had significant issues, but the vast majority have had little/minor issues.  This is going to be true no matter what you buy - RV, car, refridgerator, lawn mower, spouse/significant other (LOL), etc. You COULD get a "lemon" but, more likely, you will get something with no or a few minor issues.  Keep in mind you are not looking at, say, an Airstream ($$$$).  You are looking at an affordable camper.
Another question would be, how does it tow compared to more of the traditional square shape design trailer vs the teardrop rpod shape? Does the shape really make it any better to tow or for mpg reasons or did you just buy it for the style?  My personal experience is that, fuel mileage wise, it tows just about the same as just about anybody else's 18' travel trailer-regarless of shape.  Expect about 10-12mpg.  I think the unique/retro shape is what initially catches most folk's eyes. 
Great forum
and my TV is a 2011 Xterra Smile
Chuck View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 8:57am
There is not much that we could add to what has already been said other than we spent 3 years looking for a 60's Shasta canned ham. I really wanted one bad until we found the R Pod. All the character with more conveniences than anyone could ask for at this price point. Perfect for the two of us. Now if we could just get the grown kids to stop asking to borrow it. Oh well.
Z-pod
Chuck Janet & Bogie the dog
'12 RP 177
1972 Shasta 1400
2005 Ford F-150 5.3L V8
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 8:58am
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 9:00am
There is not much that we could add to what has already been said other than we spent 3 years looking for a 60's Shasta canned ham. I really wanted one bad until we found the R Pod. All the character with more conveniences than anyone could ask for at this price point. Perfect for the two of us. Now if we could just get the grown kids to stop asking to borrow it. Oh well.

Sorry for the double posting it wasn't intentional.
Z-pod
Chuck Janet & Bogie the dog
'12 RP 177
1972 Shasta 1400
2005 Ford F-150 5.3L V8

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 9:38am
Hello   ...new to the group as of yesterday. Currently own a T@B but tired of converting the bed to living area every day and want a bathroom - - otherwise we are pretty happy with our little teardrop after 3 seasons. Recently saw the R-Pod and it really caught our eye. We live in Wyoming but are vacationing in Ohio and stopped in at a dealership near Cincinnati the other day. Like both the 175 and 177 but think that the big table in front of that slideout sofa would be a royal pain in the arse    ...so it looks like the 177 is the model for us.

Just wanted to get registered and recognized here so that we could begin getting feedback from other R-Pod owners, especially those who own the 177. We are used to having an active user group after owning our T@B so this is great. Scanned over some of the forums and see that there are some issues with the R-Pod but as others have pointed out, all rv's have issues. For the most part it seems that R-Pod owners are satisfied with their purchase.

Would appreciate any feedback anyone would offer on what questions to ask and what options are useful/useless. I am pretty handy and have made a number of modifications to our T@B so I would expect to do the same with an R-Pod.

Thanks in advance   ...

Mark J
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 10:29am
The 177 is nice, but we ended up getting the 182G after seeing it at the Chicago RV show in January.  We loved it at first site.  We looked around at other trailers and still came back to it.  

Just about any trailer will have issues, even ours had some minor issues, but the dealer has been responsive in getting things fixed quickly and getting us back on the road.  
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 10:53am
Dollars are tough to be specific about. Some dealers discount deeply, some don't, some obviously will negotiate, others have sticker prices. Collecting info here on the forums, it looks like 12,500 to 18,500 is the range, depending on the dealer, the model, and the equipment included. MSRP ranges up to 20,000+, depending on configuration.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 10:58am
Just looked over the layouts again in the brochure and I can see why you like the 182G. If we went that route though ("G") it would probably be the 181, mainly because of the permanent bed. We have spent the last 3 years converting the living area to the sleeping area every day in our T@B and REALLY want a bed that is always a bed, if you know what I mean. Plus, the extra 2 feet of length and added weight is a consideration for us.

MJ

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 11:02am
We were quoted $12,850 about a week ago for the 177 model. That included every option but the axle lifters and bike rack.

MJ
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 11:29am
Prices seem to have dropped since last fall when we were looking. Low prices were in the 13's then.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>