R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnyone Add an Awning ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone Add an Awning ?
    Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 11:30am
I read over the owner's "wish list" and see that an awning seems to be mentioned a lot. Coming from the T@B world, our only options were the curved "tent-like" awning or the actual "add-a-room" tent. The big brother to the T@B was called the T@DA and several of those owners added an 8' Catalina cassette awning (more of the tradional style) to their units. Haven't put a tape measure to the R-Pod yet but I was wondering if that same Catalina awning would fit lengthwise on the R-Pod and still allow the door to open.

After owning the curved tent-like awning we would really prefer something that just came straight out from the camper and had open sides. The curved sides of the tent-like awning on the T@B (and I am presuming this would be the same for the Dome Room option on R-Pod) blocked air flow and at times was like a sauna.

Anyhow   ...just curious if anyone has explored or actually implemented a "real" awning on an R-Pod.

Thanks in advance   ...

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 12:03pm
Several here have had custom awnings made, roughly 8' so they are straight across the flattest part of the awning track.  A quick search here should bring those threads up.

I agree that the curved sides hold in heat.  Plus the R-Dome (made by Dometic and now sold for other trailers) doesn't have a silver lining like EZ-ups have so it doesn't reflect any heat upward either.  Our very first trip out we put up the Dome and even with a fan blowing it was too hot to sit under.  The flip side is the fully-enclosable Dome is nice when you know its going to rain all weekend.  Keeps out blowing rain better than a standard awning. 

We've also been on many sites since where the terrain around the door didn't allow the Dome to be set up.  We usually just use our EZ-ups and reserve the Dome for rainy weekends and a week at the beach where we could get showers every day.  I have clamps and a big tarp I can wrap around our EZ-ups to get the same advantages of the Dome if it is blowing rain - but its still easier than putting up the Dome.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 2:31pm
Welcome to our group!  Smile  Feel free to hang around, regardless of what you end up doing.  There are of few ex-Podders (like me), Podder wannabes, and/or just people who enjoy camping and the good group we have here.

Back when I had my Pod, I was looking at doing a cassette awning.  At the time, Thule was the only one I could find making them.  Now, I think there are others - as you mention and I think even Dometic makes one now also.  Widthwise, 8' would have extended a little (maybe 6"-9"?) beyond the front and rear of the Pod, if memory serves, but still high enough to clear the door swing (with very little angle to the awning roof).  I think one would need to build a "spacer" or cut out portions of the Pod's dome "C" channel track for a tight fit against the Pod's side.  My "spacer" was going to be a couple of full lenght strips of 3/4" square aluminum tubing.

Again, I'm working from memory, so please check measurements yourself.  There is plenty of framing in the sidewalls of the Pod for fastening securely.

I think the idea is "doable" - but I'm not aware of anyone that has tired it yet.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 2:43pm
My mention of "8 feet" was also from memory, I could be way off!
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 3:00pm

Here's an awning I made from an old headsail. I added another grommet to the center of the front edge since this picture was taken so we can use a third pole. It's sort of a work in progress, thankfully I have enough material left to make a couple more if I really screw this one up badly. We do have the rDome, but haven't put it up yet this summer. 
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 3:05pm
I think you are right, Doug.  These folks slide their awnings thru the "C" channel on the pod.  It curves a little on that end but, on the far end they have a flat horizonal bar with "legs" - very much the an awning on a popup.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 3:06pm
Thanks Huron....your picture is worth 999 words! LOL
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 3:51pm
Looks nice.  Not too dark under there either.
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 3:59pm
Bummer   ...can't see the picture. Must have something to do with the iPad. Probably requires Adobe Flashplayer, which is incompatible with iPad.

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Footslogger03

Bummer   ...can't see the picture. Must have something to do with the iPad. Probably requires Adobe Flashplayer, which is incompatible with iPad. MJ

If you really want to see it follow the link in my sig line to our blog. That same picture appears in the first page of entries.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>