R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnyone Add an Awning ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone Add an Awning ?
    Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Worst case you could get up on a ladder with long-handled adjustable pliers and try to narrow the opening.  
Tech, you CAN'T be serious! Then my R-Dome wouldn't go in!  Shocked  Before I take those kind of drastic measures, I will see if the person who made it can offer a remedy first.

Of course, Tech, you weren't that far out with your suggestion -- I even thougt about wrapping the welt in good old duck tape!  (Oh heaven's, I'm starting to think like my husband -- he thinks most things around the barn can be fixed with baling string!)

2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by furpod

What is the width of your track? ours is an '11, but a very early one, I will measure tomorrow and see what size it is. 

Thanks, Furpod!  That is very nice of you to do that!  I had a hard time measuring the channel because of the flare on the end.

Diane
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 10:57pm
UPDATE!  And yes, here I go AGAIN - y'all are going to be sick of me before I get the awning up!

I know what the problem is, the vinyl welt that was used in the awning was a 5/16" welt for a 3/8" CHANNEL and I failed to catch that.  The R-Dome channel is 1/2" and takes a 3/8" WELT.   All I knew was I need a 3/8" welt, so all I paid attention to when I ordered was the number 3/8 - I didn't realize I had ordered for a 3/8" channel.  (So THAT'S why it's falling out!) EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

It isn't the awning maker's fault - she did an awesome job - so now I just have to figure out how to fix it.  I'm the one that agreed to the wrong specifications.  OuchOuchOuch

Diane
2011 Mercedes ML350

ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 4:53am
I hate to be the one to mention it, but duct tape might just add the 1/16" to the thickness of the welt you need to keep it in place. It's not as purdy, but it'll get the job done. I'm sure if you sprayed a little silcon on the (tape covered) welt, it'd slide in smoothly.

Just an idea.

Or you could have the makers remove the smaller welt and add the 3/8".

No offense intended, but I'm sure glad you made this mistake, hopefully we can all learn from it.

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Longbed QuadCab 4.7L V8 --- '10 Forest River R-Pod 172
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 5:33am
Here is another idea, in addition to the above:

Examine the welt and determine if you think there is enough room to "fish" thru a fatter/thicker lenght of rope.  This will depend upon how tightly she sewed the welt seam.  If it looks like this might be possible, buy some thicker rope at your favorite home improvement store.  Open up both ends of the welt, remove the existing rope/plastic material* and, push or pull the thicker rope through and cut to lenght - a little shorter than the fabric/plactic welt (as it likely is now).  Stitch and/or super glue the ends closed.  Also, put a little glue on the threads that were cut when you opened the welt - to keep them from fraying/ becoming loose.

This might get you into winter, when you could send it back to her to have the welt replaced.

Hopefully, Huron will see this and jump in.  I think he may have made his awning himself.

* You may be able to tape the new rope to the old rope and just pull the old out and the new in at the same time.
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 8:25am
This might seem like a dumb newbie question       ....but why not just order a custom length conventional rv awning (the "cassette" type) and just mount it directly to the side of the rv, adding a thin spacer to allow for the slight stand-off due to the R-Dome track?

Just a thought   ...

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Footslogger03

This might seem like a dumb newbie question       ....but why not just order a custom length conventional rv awning (the "cassette" type) and just mount it directly to the side of the rv, adding a thin spacer to allow for the slight stand-off due to the R-Dome track?

Just a thought   ...

MJ

Well, one reason is because I've already PAID for this awning. 

Another idea -- what do any of you think about running a marine grade silicone bead down the existing welt, and letting it dry?  Do you think that would add enough extra bulk to keep the welt in the C-channel?  (And will it stay on the vinyl welt?)  Todd is right - I only need an extra 1/16 of an inch to keep the beading/welt in the C-channel.

Wink P.S.  Todd, so glad MY mistake may help the rest of you. Gotta love this forum!

And David, your idea might work but I'm going to try an EASIER route first, okay?

Diane
2011 Mercedes ML350

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 11:25am
Sorry, my suggestion was based on you only having this awning and not the Dome as well.  I don't think silicone will stay attached, especially if its the standard all-plastic welt.  Even if it were reasonably "sticky" that welt will get a lot of high stresses from wind.

I'm at a loss for an easy solution that will hold up to the stress.  Thinking about the rope David mentioned - again assuming a solid all-plastic welt.  What about taking a small drill bit down the side of the welt, every quarter-inch, in the crevice (look at the picture in the link below, at the 5 o'clock or 7 o'clock position).  Then laying a rope in that crevice and using a thick waxed thread, running it through the holes and the rope to secure it in place.  My father used to do some leather work and always had that waxed thread around, I don't know if it has a formal name.  It was heavy-duty.  This isn't an easy solution, but I would feel confident it would hold up.

Alternatively you may just need to contact the maker and see if they could lay a new welt next to the current welt, offset so the new one sticks out a bit (not longer width-wise, but in the direction perpendicular to the side of the trailer), sewing the base of the welts together.  Which should be cheaper/easier than trying to take the old welt off first.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Footslogger03

Just a thought   ...

MJ

Mostly because many want a bit of "vintage" look, and a cassette type awning won't look right for that. I have figured out how to add a cassette type if we decide to go that way, but she likes the idea of this solution almost as much as the dome itself.

As to the problem at hand... what about a long, say 6' length of denim, about 2" wide, wrapped around the welt as it is fed into the channel..
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 4:52pm
Is it a one piece plastic welt (like in Tech's link) or a sewn in welt?  Ying YangThinking...

I would not yet try silicone, though it would build thickness.  It is "high friction" (rubber- like) and might make it hard to pull the awning thru the channel.  Back in the day, when I raced R/C race cars (not the toy ones), we would totally coat our tires with silicone to get extra traction.  When it wore off, it was cheaper than new tires.

Duct tape seems to be the most easy answer, but it may take 2-3 layers.  Try it and see?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>