R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnyone Add an Awning ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone Add an Awning ?
    Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 6:56pm
We have the equivalent of the R-Dome on our "brand x" (T@B) now and would prefer not going that route again. Lots of work to set up (regardless of what anyone tells you) and not very cool/airy inside. Biggest issue is that they wrap around on the sides and actually block ventillation, despite the zipout panels.

We are just about to buy a modell 177 R-Pod and plan on installing a more tradional pull-out awning to block the sun while still offering maximum ventillation.

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 12:33am
Consulted the awning maker and we THINK we have a simple solution.  She actually tried it out but without access to a 1/2" C-channel (her vintage awning has the 3/8" channel) she couldn't be FOR SURE that it would fit.

Here is the idea.  Tomorrow I am going to Home Depot to buy a length of clear PVC tubing.  It has a 7/16" outside diameter, and a 5/16" inside diameter.  I am going to carefully slit the tubing open and slip it on over the 3/8" welt.  It is an easy fix, inexpensive ($5.87), not messy (no glue), and should still look good, too.  The only problem I forsee is that it may be TOO snug.  I will let you know if it works.

Other than that, the only alternative iI like s Tech's idea to sew a new 3/8" welt alongside the existing 5/16" welt. 

LESSON LEARNED:  If you have a custom awning made, make sure you get the 3/8" welt for a 1/2" diameter R-Pod C-channel - (NOT 5/16" welt for a 3/8" C-Channel)!

Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 12:45am
Footslogger, you will LOVE the 177!  Well, I love mine anyway.

A traditional pull out awning is a good idea if you are comfortable (or handy) at mounting it on the Pod.  The only reason I went the route I did is that I just like the idea and the looks of a "vintage" awning.

I know what you are saying about your R-dome equivalent.  My R-dome ripped and is being replaced under warranty but I don't know that I want to set it up EVERY time I camp.  The "vintage" awning will give me a nice alternative.  Believe it or not, it - the custom vintage awning - ALMOST looked great on the Pod - the beading was just too narrow to keep it attached! Unhappy  But I WILL fix it - one way or another. Approve  And then I'll post pics. Approve

Diane
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 7:01am
I'm pulling for you!

Pun intended. Clap
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Hodge-PODge

But I WILL fix it - one way or another. Approve  And then I'll post pics. Approve

Diane

Any post weekend updates...?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by furpod

Any post weekend updates...?

Yes, actually I do, Furpod - thanks for asking.  SUCCESS AT LAST!  I took a length of 7/16 plastic tubing a little longer than the awning width, slit down the length of the tubing, and slipped it over the top of the 3/8 welt on the awning, as my awning maker had creatively suggested.  It worked!  It slid in the C-channel easily (I had used silicone spray previously), but yet it still fit snug enough to not pull out.  And I think it looks great - I love it!  Here are the pics to prove it . . . .

Hee hee hee! - that peculiar thing sticking out above the awning is my chimney!

When I camp out, I'll be sure to tie down the vertical posts.

2011 Mercedes ML350

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 10:33pm
P.S.  Just in case anyone else is interested in this kind of awning (see pics above), go take a peek online at http://www.vintageawnings.blogspot.com/
The lady who makes them is absolutely wonderful to work with, and she has a variety of fabrics to choose from - all posted on the website.  I am very pleased with the quality of the awning and the quality of service, too.  NOW we all know the correct size for the R-Pod's C-channel so what happened to me won't happen again.  Don't you just love that learning curve!  And all really is well that ends well.
Diane
2011 Mercedes ML350

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 6:29am

Hee hee hee! - that peculiar thing sticking out above the awning is my chimney!

[/QUOTE]
Thumbs Up  I couldn't agree more....all is well that ends well.  Glad you found a solution.

How DID you do the chimney mod?  I've never seen anything like that! Ying Yang
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 8:28am
Maybe I missed it, but say again, why you didn't get the awning to be wider to use more of the track?  Was it that you didn't want the down-sloped look/feel of the awning?

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 10:11am
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

Maybe I missed it, but say again, why you didn't get the awning to be wider to use more of the track?  Was it that you didn't want the down-sloped look/feel of the awning?

It had more to do with the length of the shock-corded poles that provide the cross-center support (like an X-shape) underneath the awning - that's what gives it a kind of "dome" look.  We would have had to buy additional poles and then sort of splice them together to make the shock poles center support longer.  I was just trying to cover the door area and was trying to stay out of the curve of the C-channel.
2011 Mercedes ML350

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>