R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnyone Add an Awning ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone Add an Awning ?
    Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 10:58am
I have been out camping, imagine that, and have not kept up with the forum.

I have the awning made by Bear Creek, very happy with workmanship,  But have not been able to use it as of yet! Due to places I have camped and the tent stakes can not be pounded into the hard packed gravel. Dang. No trees in the right location to just tie the ropes on to. looking forward to camping in Elkmont for several weeks Sept-Oct. Maybe then I can find ground to stake in.
Love the looks of all that have been posted, the "vintage" ones just great
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 7:57am
MM - we've missed you!  I wondered how you were doing.  I camped out this past weekend in your neck of the woods - Townsend, at Tremont Campground.  Had a great time there, but had to pack up in the rain yesterday morning.  My daughter told me I looked like a wet dog!  (And I did, too).  Was a great trip.  Got stuck in traffic venturing into Gatlinburg Saturday afternoon.  The grandkids LOVED the Sugarlands Visitor Center.  The nature center with exhibits of the plant and animal life in the Smokies was wonderful.  My grandson said, "Nana, this was a great idea you had to come here."  High praise indeed.
Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 6:30pm
Update on the "vintage" awning:

I used it for the first time this past weekend - absolutely loved it - it was perfect for camping out for just a night or two, and very easy to set up.  Our little "fix" with the plastic tubing over the awning welt to make it fit worked really great - I know because I had the opportunity to test it.  Went to the grocery store without staking out the rope to tie the awning down.  A little rainstorm blew in and when I got back the awning had blown upside down over the top of the camper (without blowing off, mind you.  Yep, the tubing held it tight).  Due to the dome shape - now the UPSIDE DOWN dome shape - my awning was catching all the rain water.  The most hilarious part was me trying to turn it right side up again while it was holding water.  Water is HEAVY!   So I had to take the awning back off (luckily it wasn't damaged) to, dry it out under the shelter, put it up again the next morning, and of course, I learned my lesson.  This time I staked it down!

Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 1:27pm
I love the look of this awning.  We were toying around with the idea of having a small awning for the door made for use when overnighting in transit in the rain.  I noticed that the slope of the awning stops right by the windows on either side and was wondering if that guided water into the windows?

We have a 152 and when it rains hard, everything gets wet just going in and out of the pod without some sort of cover by the door 
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
XJ2202009 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 8:11pm
Hi everyone,
have anyone ever attempted to bolt one of those role out canopies?  coming from a pop pup to  a 176T I want things as simple as possible.
philstat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 5:35pm
Huron,
that looks like a great idea for a lightweight awning. Where did you get the material that slides in the existing channel?
We sold our R Dome in the forums, as we found that few of the state park campground's pad areas were wide enough to set it up. Your work in progress seems to have a lot of potential.
If memory serves me, you will be at the Porcupine Roundup this year.
We will look forward to meeting  you then, and take a look at the awning.

Regards,
Phil
West Virginia Girls View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 5:04pm
Hodge Podge:
Sounds like you have really worked out the bugs.  I believe you are still working on the chimney, but I have a few questions.  I think I understand why you didn't get the entire length of the channel, but how wide an awning did you end up with?  It looks great.  I am thinking 7x7 would be wide enough.  Did you have to order the cross brace and the poles seperate from the awning?  Last question, how heavy is the awning and all appurtences (cross brace and poles).  That puppy looks great.  I appreciate you guys sharing all the trials and tribulations of getting it to work.  Great minds out there.Wink
Billie & Debbie
Furry friends: Jake & Mollie
2013 RPOD 177
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD
jj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 8:40pm
would this work with the suction cups, 
Tri-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 9:05am
Doesn't appear to be very large. But a clever idea.
2010 PR 176 sold 2012 replaced with
2013 SP 240 w outside kitchen
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
Me, My Honey, and Max our GSP
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 5:59pm
The R-pod is taller than the car shown, so the pull out might not work just as it did on the utube.
a pull out awning would be on the wish list for engineering at Forest River. I know they have the extra room to attach, but not all of us want that when an awning would do.
I quite like what I have finally gotten set up,,, now getting too old and tired to hook up and pull away.... alas, but kind of funny. Like an old hen that can't get her nest fixed, then to find she is too old to use the nest!
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>