R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnyone Add an Awning ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone Add an Awning ?
    Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 11:58pm
I love your shade structure.  How did you attach it to the trailer at the top?  Thanks.
Suzanne
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 6:48am
If you have an r-pod there is the groove that curves across the top. It is attached that way. Some pointers (and more from others with more experience). Get a can of spray silicone and spray the groove ( waiting with a cloth at the ends because it will run down your pod), that creases the grooves! Being short, the only one doing it I worked out a system that helped me PULL it through. If I remember correctly (I no longer have the Pod) there were grommets on the end of the awning. I took a length of cord, tied a knot on one end, threaded it through the awning, got that side started up the groove as far as I could, took hold of the cord and pulled and pulled until it started to run into the groove. Being short I had to carry a small ladder with me so I could get some leverage on that pull! But once I got the hang of it the working does not sound so over powering. Being old, a lot is overpowering, so I had to get rid of my little Escape Pod, do miss it. The awing I bought had the poles and ropes and ground pins with it. hope this helps.           
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Jlwalbaums View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 9:34am
We purchased a roll-out type awning for a fold down and had an upholstery shop change the rope to the larger size. It works great! It has spring poles, so no ropes to worry about. All folds up and rolls into a zipper bag that stays on the trailer. I took the larger rope from the screen skirt that came with the trailer... 
Sorry, its not the best picture... got my son in there too.. ;-)
 zipper bag
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 9:59am
Welcome! Nice looking set up!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Suzanne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 10:09am
Thanks so much.  Does this look like the same type of set up?
http://www.hannarv.com/P/AEDometic944GS1100211FootMeadowGreenTrimLinePopUpTentCamperAwning/19002

Does the awning actually roll up and stay on the trailer, or do you take it off after each trip?

Do you just feed the rope through the groove?  Was is a 3/8" rope or 5/8" inch?

Great picture!
Suzanne
Jlwalbaums View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 1:01pm
Yes, that is similar.
Ours is a 9' Dometic.
I had to change the rope because you cannot buy one with the larger rope already on it.
I think its the 3/8" rope... the rail opening measures 1/2". I took the rope from the R-Dome bottom skirt.
Just feed it thru the groove and put a screw in each end to lock it in place.

The awning rolls up into the bag and stays on the camper all the time.

Hope that helps. I can get more pics if needed.

Jeff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 3:16pm
I like the set up you have. R-Pod should have one like yours that comes with the pod, like on other trailers. I was not good a putting screws into the metal, needed something that would not change the pod since I did not know what I was doing.... I think someone else had one like the one I got and I saw it on the forum.
By the way...Love your Ella schnauzer girl...Trudi travled with me when I had the pod. She is gone, but I have 2 more little guys, alas they do not have a Pod!
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Jlwalbaums

We purchased a roll-out type awning for a fold down and had an upholstery shop change the rope to the larger size. It works great! It has spring poles, so no ropes to worry about....

Very nicely done! Do you travel with it on the trailer? Would love to see a pic all rolled up.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 6:51am
I , too, would like to see the roll on the rig as you travel. The way I would have liked Forest River to have done it. If an individual owner can do it then their engineers should be able to do it....at extra cost of course, but with industrial materials at hand R-podders should not have to do a basic like that. Yes, post the pictures, maybe someone will take heed.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
chiman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 3:04pm
Jeff
Question for you:

It appears from the picture that the support poles are long enough to reach the ground without modifications.  I ask as my 178 is the Hood River Edition and sets up high towards the top.  I like the idea of what you have done but just wanted to ask the question.

Thanks,

Chiman
2017 180 "Frog" towed by 2017 Toyota Tacoma with co-pilot "Willow" a 80 lb Labradoodle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>