R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHitch and Sway Control

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitch and Sway Control
    Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 10:26pm
Hi.  Am a newbie to trailering and a new IPod owner.  Have put about 500 miles on our new 177 and love it.  Tow vehicle is a Nissan Titan which seems to handle the IPod very well.  The IPod tracks very well and I have experienced no fishtailing or other handling issues.  We do not have a weight control hitch or sway control.  Do any of you use a weight distribution hitch and/or sway control?  I have read many horror stories about handling issues with trailers on line.  Have no problem adding hardware, but find that virtually all the weight equalization hitches are designed for very large trailers.  What do you all think?

Attached a picture of the IPod, Nissan and Roxy, the travel and trailer loving dogster, in the Redwoods near the Smith River on July 4. 
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 10:29pm
See my reply on your other post...
Good looking rig!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 3:53am
If you don't have any towing issues you really don't need anything else added.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 6:52am
Welcome to the group! Smile
You have a nice looking set up and K9.

Like you, I towed my Pod without a WDH and/or sway control and had no problems.  It is the same with my existing rig.  However, those who have these devises seem to like them.  I have found that towing with the tongue slightly down (don't over do it) and proper trailer loading contributes a great deal to towing stability.  From a mechanical viewpoint, I would think if you have a well mounted class 3 hitch and 6000lbs ball, you shouldn't have to worry about your Pod breaking away from you. 

Sway - the trailer wanting to pivot back and forth at the point of it's axle(s) - kind of like the "tail" wanting to "wag the dog" becomes more problematic as the trailer becomes longer.  In addition to the above mentioned, the most common other cause would be aero forces - such as strong side winds, being passed by a super sonic semi truck, etc.  I wouldn't tow, say, a 30' trailer without such devises. 

I suppose the bottom line is; do you feel comfortable and safe with your present set up?  Some do, some don't.   
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 9:42am
Originally posted by TerryM

If you don't have any towing issues you really don't need anything else added.

Terry

That's a pretty good way of looking at it.  But again it might come down to how you feel.

I can't really comment because myself with a mid-size SUV rated to tow 5000lbs I can tell a difference when I don't have my sway bars on.  Now I wouldn't go as far as to say my Pod is all over the road if I don't use them but when I do I can tell a difference that makes driving to camp more enjoyable.

I have never had passing semi's every sway the Pod, and only some winds from some really strong storms have ever caused it to "wag the dog" a bit here and there.

It's not that a I feel safer when using the sway bar setup, I just don't notice I'm even towing the Pod when I do.  Hehe and that's not to say I'm not paying attention to her, just that she doesn't ever move unless I move and that makes long drives more enjoyable for me.
bobt49 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 10:38am
Thanks for the quick response and good practical advice.  Will pay special attention to loading and weight placement.  I won't lose any more sleep over the issue but will continue to research the hardware.  Seems like most of the devices out there are made for hitch and trailer weights two or three times the RPod.  Will consider adding something if I can find one more in line with the ultra-lite RPod.
Bob & Cindy
San Francisco Wine Country
RPod 177
Nissan Titan
Damour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 11:04am
I'm not sure to understand well the question but we have  tork "something"  and anti-sway  on our trailer of  the Pod with the Santa Fe .

Sorry I don't know the right words in english.
rp 171 , from Québec with not a good english writing lol
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 11:12am
I drove for a year and a half w/o any sway control, and air bags for levelling.  After adding an E2 it made a world of difference in the ride comfort.  I had few problems with sway but enough that I'm more comfortable having it now.  My previous popup was suicide to tow w/o sway control so I know what its like to have the tail wag the dog.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
cgarb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 2:18pm
We got both sway bar and load leveler bars with our pod. The hitch with the ball on it is so heavy that we have a hard time handling it safely (bad backs) and are now looking at ways to deal with moving it around when we take it on and off. The dealer had said that the units would be smaller and lighter than the full size things for the big trailers, but they are the same size! A lot more than we thought, but too late when we picked it up. It  does tow really well, though!
Carol
177 HRE rpod
2014 Honda Pilot
bobt49 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 3:04pm
Thanks for the info.  We still have not gotten either sway or equalizer control.  Am still researching.  So far we have not had any issues with the Rpod and our Titan truck.  It tows really well but I still have the feeling that it might be better with a sway/equalizer add on.  There are only a couple of light trailer units available and I would like to see them before buying one.  That is proving difficult as no one seems to stock them.  Will let you know what I finally do.
Bob & Cindy
San Francisco Wine Country
RPod 177
Nissan Titan
 Post Reply Post Reply