R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHitch Heigth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitch Heigth
    Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 9:03am
Does anyone know the hitch height (distance off ground) when the R-Pod tailer is level ? I am currently towing with a 2011 Toyota Tacoma and have a 2" drop from the receiver.

Thanks in advance   ...

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 11:04am
For your r-pod the way to measure is from level ground to the top inside of the trailer coupler while the r-pod is sitting level.  Then for your Truck measure from level ground to the inside top of the receiver box. The difference between the two is how much drop or rise you need for towing.  On my Trailblazer Before i installed the risers on the r-pod I used a drop but once I installed the risers I had to flip my receiver to raise the ball.  It will differ depending on the vehicle and what options they have.
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 11:18am
Thanks for your reply. Since I already pull an rv I am familiar with what you explained.

What I am looking for, and probably didn't word vwry well, is the "actual" distance from the ground to the top inside edge of the R-Pod coupler   ...in inches. From there I can determine how much drop or rise I would need on my current hitch.

Thanks again for your reply   ....

MJ
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 11:21am
i will try to measure tonight when I get home.  Be careful as any measurements may be off depending on risers installed or not.  Not sure if yours have them or not.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 2:01pm
Thanks    ...really appreciate that. Also, let me know if you have the riser/lifter option installed so that I can allow for it in my calculatiom.

MJ
HerbL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 6:05pm
The way I did it was to fully load the trailer and truck and hitch them together; then measure the trailer frame front and back. In my case, the front was about two inches lower than the back when I was using a 2 inch drop hitch. I bought a straight hitch (one with a 2" ball on the top and another size ball in the bottom). Our trailer now is level when we park on a level spot. I do not think a 2 inch drop in front presented any towing problems, but many times we stop over night on a long trip and I prefer not to unhitch, now I don't have to deal with a trailer that is lower in front when we stop. I'm told to never have the front of the trailer higher than the back.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 9:26pm
The whole front end being lowerr/higher than the rear end thing boilsmdown to 2 points:

The first is propane flow. If your stove top and/or furnace is in the rear of your trailor you don't want the front end to be excessively low. Secondly, but this is less an issue with the R-Pods since you sleep crosswise, it's always a good idea to have your head somewhat at the same level as the rest of your body.

So   ...the goal is to set up pretty close to level side2side and front2back. Even if you don't unhook your trailor at night you can still crank the fromt leg up/down a bit to make it more level.

MJ
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 9:58pm

For towing nose slightly down will help prevent sway.  One of our overnight stops at Wal-Mart I did as Footslogger suggested and just used the jack to push it up some to get it level (and act as a stabilizer jack).  I left a big note on the driver's seat so I wouldn't forget to put it up in the morning!

Footslogger, I'm not sure being out of level will affect propane operation, its a pressurized gas once it leaves the tank.  However, being level is necessary for the fridge to prevent crystals from forming in the tubes.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply