R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRunning Fridge on Battery in Transit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running Fridge on Battery in Transit
    Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 9:34pm
We were told to travel with the battery and switch to propane when stopped, so that is what we have done on our 2 trips! We just used the battery for lights, since we camped in state parks with no hookups. Should the battery fully recharge after driving for a couple of hours? Ours didn't and we thought it should. We have the 2 batteries on the 177.
Carol
177 HRE rpod
2014 Honda Pilot
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 9:56pm
No problem traveling in 12 volt mode - as long as your +12 and negative lines are big enough.  If they aren't you could arrive with a partially discharged battery.  Not a big problem when you have hookups, but if you are dry camping it could mean a dead battery in a day or two.  If you do have hookups by all means leave your battery hooked up to the 'pod and it will get topped off while the 'pod is plugged in.  If you don't have hookups as long as your charge lines are big enough you should arrive in camp with a full battery. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 6:49am
When dry camping on 12v you have to do thing differently than when you have shore power.  Only use lights when necessary etc.  If you do a lot of dry camping you might want to consider changing your lights to LEDs. 

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
cgarb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 2:21pm
Thanks for the suggestion. A while back there was some discussion of using LEDs and it sounded like they weren't bright enough to read by. Do you know if that is still the case? Seems like there would be a market out there for good bright LEDs. So far we have spent most of our time outside, but that will certainly change as the weather gets bad. We'd better figure out how to make that work, for sure!
Carol
177 HRE rpod
2014 Honda Pilot
splante View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 7:43am
we switched to LED's and they are perfectly fine to read with..We found the bulbs that came in the rpod to burn too hot...love the LED's
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 8:39am
You're certainly right about those 12V bulbs burning hot!  We'd like to switch to LEDs also but they're so expensive!  >$30 per bulb.
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Damour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 9:03am
I have buy some LED puck lights , (works on batteries) and it comes with a switch (no wire)

We stick the pucks of LED at some places in the Pod and glue the switch a the enter near the door.

All the lights will open at the same time time and if you want only one to stay on you go click on the others and they turn off.

This kit was buy at COSTCO  under 30 $ and I love it. It makes a nice ambiance in the evening.
rp 171 , from Québec with not a good english writing lol
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 2:17pm
Here is a place that I used to get LED's for my motorized bicycle.  I bought the set of day time running lights to use as a headlight.  WOW!  Very bright!  I got my tail lights and turn signals there too.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

Terry

RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 4:09pm
My old jeep Liberty would cut off the 12V feed to the Pod when the engine was shut off.  So I never had to worry about the Jeep's battery running down if I left the two vehicles wired together.  My new Chevy Pickup is wired so that the Pod can feed off of the PUs battery if I don't remember to disconnect them.  My question is...if the Pod is connected to AC at a campground...does the Pod's AC2DC power supply electrically disconnect the TV 12V from the Pod's 12V? 
In other words, do I have to disconnect the TV from the Pod if the Pod is plugged into AC?
TIDALWAVE
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 4:57pm
As long as the 'pod is plugged into the TV, the pod's converter/charger will charge both batteries.  This assumes you have properly-sized wires running to the Bargeman connector from your battery.  At least 10 gauge on the +12 line, and at least 10 gauge on the negative line (or a direct connection to the frame of the TV).  If your wires are too small then its likely the TV battery won't charge at all due to voltage drop - although it won't discharge, either.

I always plug my 'pod in the night before a trip, partly to cool the fridge and partly to put a good charge on the battery.  I usually will connect the 'pod and TV to ensure the TV's battery gets a bit of a charge, too.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>