FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"The Little Smoky's"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: "The Little Smoky's"
    Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 5:17pm

This is Brown County State Park in Indiana.

We Hoosiers sometimes refer to it as "The Little Smoky's" because of the obvious; we want you to think that it is a cool place - come here - spend your money! Smile 

The rolling topography of southern Indiana doesn't approach the grandeur of the Smoky's, but it is a favorite of local campers and outdoor lovers - especially when fall colors are in full bloom.  The adjoining town of Nashville is somewhat like Gatlinburg, TN - lots of shops to buy things that you didn't even realize that you needed (like FUDGE)! 

If you do decide to visit/reserve online, pay careful attention to the "camping spur" size.  Some are plenty large, others, one would be challenged to park a Mini Cooper in (no joke).

As I have a habit of leaving the camera in a safe place when I go roaming about ( I forget to bring it), the below are pictures from the immediate area of my campsite - #93, in the Buffalo Ridge" section.

What would one of my posts be without a picture of Dixie!Big smile  Here, she is "on the hunt".  Perhaps the most feared and respected bug hunter in the State!  She seems to be OK with the creepy crawly ones - with maybe just a "nose of curiousity".  But, if it "buzzes" - it's TOAST!

BIG BEAR View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 11:15pm
been to little nashville, several times. wife and i love the shops. have never camped there but is def on our list for next year . will holler at you for the best camp grounds. looks like a nice place. do they still have all the flea markets?
LIFE DOESNT WAIT. ENJOY IT. THE ALIEN CRAFT 2011 SURVEYOR SPORT TOYOTA FJ CRUISER
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by BIG BEAR

been to little nashville, several times. wife and i love the shops. have never camped there but is def on our list for next year . will holler at you for the best camp grounds. looks like a nice place. do they still have all the flea markets?

It is probably much as you remember it except the "Little Opry" burned down a couple of years ago.  While they did bring in some of the bigger country music stars, news stories seemed to indicate it was barely profitable (not enough seating?).  The owners have no plans to rebuild and none has stepped forward to purchase.  So, you'll have to get your country music fix elsewhere.

There are some commercial campgrounds nearby but, I have always stayed at the park.  Buffalo Ridge and Taylor Ridge are all electric (only). Raccoon Ridge - some are electric, some are not.  Buffalo has several handicapped sites (if you need this) and all of the parking spurs are paved.  Taylor has gravel spurs.

I'd be happy to help you zero in on a spot when the time comes.  Who knows, it might be a good time for me to me to be in Brown County also!
BIG BEAR View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 7:40pm
WAS HOPING WE COULD HOOK UP THERE DAVID.
LIFE DOESNT WAIT. ENJOY IT. THE ALIEN CRAFT 2011 SURVEYOR SPORT TOYOTA FJ CRUISER
 Post Reply Post Reply