Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLeadville, CO, Hiking, Podding, and A WEDDING

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leadville, CO, Hiking, Podding, and A WEDDING
    Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 5:25pm
Just returned from a 1500 mile trip with the pod that included driving from 1000 feet above sea level to 10,200 feet at Leadville, CO. The new tow vehicle (Ford, F-150) performed without strain over the high mountain passes with the awesome mileage average of 10.8 mpg (oh well, I didn't expect much with that amount of mountain driving, and I was not disappointed, might have done better at 55, but drove 65 most of the time, and we were loaded, three passengers and gear).

We hiked as high as 11, 870 feet, but the real high point was when Tina and I were married at Leadville. In Colorado there is no requirement for judge or minister, just go to the county courthouse, pay the $30 (cash only) and sign the papers. Voila! Married!! And, quite happy! After the legal paperwork we exchanged rings in our truck, then hiked two miles up to a mountain lake to say our vows.

Awesome trip, great weather and hiking, 177 performed well, r-dome failed (pole split and ripped material), a bit crowded with three adults, but really no problem. Who spends that much time inside anyway . . . when it is 70* and beautiful outside. It got down in the mid 40's at night, and we had several opportunities to play in the snow when hiking at higher altitudes.

We stayed at Sugarloafin' campground, quite nice, but there are several National Forest campgrounds within a few miles at Turquoise Lake if one prefers. I've stayed in the area several times over the years and just love it. Leadville is a fun town, quite old and it retains it's high mountain charm. Awesome hiking and climbing.

Here is a link to the trip album.

Brush and Floss, It is the Secret of Life!
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 5:33pm
Well, congratulations, DocTom & Tina!  What a wonderful memory album you've created with your photos, too.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 5:53pm
Congratulations Mr & Mrs ! Big smile

IMHO, you couldn't have picked a much better spot....."the higher the altitude, the better the attitude".
There aren't too many places one can play in the snow this time of year.
Iteach5th View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 6:21pm
Congratulations, nice pictures
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right"- Henry Ford

2011 RP-177
2009 Jeep Cherokee
1982 Coleman Redwood pup
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 6:45pm
Congratulations and many happy married years are wished to you.!! Lovely photos, looks Ike a lovely place in the Summer- from over here in Jersey with our 95-105* temps .
Is the Leadville and Southern one of those narrow gauge geared locomotive rail excursions?
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 7:23pm
You mentioned that your R-Dome pole split and ripped the fabric...was the pole faulty?  Other members have commented on fabric tearing.  I wish that Forest River used rip-stop rather than
sheet fabric.  I would never buy a new tent that did not have rip-stop. 
TIDALWAVE
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 8:50pm

Congrats!

Dometic makes the R-Dome, and someone here (Hodge?) said they are getting a new one under warranty.  Hope to see any changes that have been made to it lately.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 9:29pm
Yep, my R-Dme ripped the very first time I used it when I took it down.  FR is replacing it under the warranty.  According to the dealer FR is aware of this defect with the fabric.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 9:46pm
Thank you all for the good wishes.

The Leadville railroad is a regular guage line, an old line of Burlington Northern, I think. A couple from Leadville (we chatted with one of them who was the brakeman on the train the day we rode) bought it (track, 2 locomotives and several cars and cabooses) for $10, spent thousands, and put it into service as the LC&S in 1988. It was quite fun, I've gone on it several times in the past.

The dome failure was initiated by the door shock corded pole. A seam in the aluminum split so the door pole came apart and went through the fabric. I have had the dome up before with no problem, just went this time. I will try to get it replaced but won't if not covered.

It is mid 90's here, now at 8:45 PM, with high humidity. Highly tempted to turn around and go back, but I get to go to work tomorrow instead.

Tom
Brush and Floss, It is the Secret of Life!
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 10:06pm
Thanks for the rail info, DocTom, since I started model railroading some many years ago, I drag my family on as many rail rides as i can!

Again, many happy returns to you and your new bride! Keep 'em flossin'!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>