R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWill your Freezer freeze ice?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will your Freezer freeze ice?
    Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 2:19pm
I agree kickstart, I installed a fan in the rear comparment of our popup's fridge and still was never happy.  Ended up only using it for non-perishable drinks, and took a dorm fridge with us all the time (with a compressor unlike many dorm fridges sold today).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 12:27pm
I agree with TIDALWAVE. Pre-cool a couple days, place prefrozen cubes in your freezer, and circulate the cold air with an interior battery powered fan. Good advice. Several years ago, I had a trailer with a Dometic fridge that I installed a non-thermostat controlled fan under the outside fridge vent. That helped some, too. Dometic fridges in RPods have a thermostatically controlled fan under the outside fridge cover, but they don't cycle to on until the outside temperature gets pretty hot. They're more of a temp holding device rather than really helping to cool.

RV fridges are notorious for their cooling inefficiency. The three Dometics I've had were all pretty poor. The one Norcold I owned was a little better.
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 12:10pm
I have found the only way to get an RV frig to really get cold throughout is have a battery powered fan running on the bottom shelf.  I also pre-cool the frig before I go on a trip.  I put a plastic container filled with ice-cubes in the freezer compartment before we leave.  We usually then have an adequate supply of cubes to put in drinks but also to help pre-cool the frig.
TIDALWAVE
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 11:42am
Ok, we are still set up in the driveway.. partial shade, and you know the local temps.. running on 30amp AC, and A/C is on, set to about 75 degrees. Fridge is set on max. about a dozen bottles of water in it. Filled little ice maker tray last night. It is the only thing in the freezer compartment, set near the center. Solid ice when I just checked it.

We do intend to use a portable ice maker when ever we have AC available. I go through a lot of ice.
Iteach5th View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 8:25pm
When I put some ice in my little cooler I fill a zip lock bag with ice and put that in my freezer. Helps keep temps down and I have ice for my drink. We usually bring a small cooler for lunch if we leave a campground to see the sights

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right"- Henry Ford

2011 RP-177
2009 Jeep Cherokee
1982 Coleman Redwood pup
Pawpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 6:27pm
One of the ones that go inside the fridge
Ready to pod around!
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Pawpod

Tried freezing pop freezes and after 3 days still not froze. Got one of those fridge fans and they were froze the next day.

Which type you referring to Pawpod? 
Pawpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 3:52pm
Tried freezing pop freezes and after 3 days still not froze. Got one of those fridge fans and they were froze the next day.
Ready to pod around!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 1:17pm
If you must have ice cubes on the go, you can buy portable ice cube makers.  I've never owned one or seen one in action...

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 1:09pm
I'm thinking I didn't plug the fridge in at home early enough to get the freezer and everything to ideal temperatures before loading it up.

In the past I usually give the fridge 1-2 days plugged up outside the garage before loading all of our food.  I know how quickly the temp can drop every time you open the door and especially as you're loading it full of your trip's food.

I think it just took a while to get back to freezing temp and plus the sun was beating on the fridge side of the Pod all weekend which never helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>