R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWill your Freezer freeze ice?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will your Freezer freeze ice?
    Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 10:52am
Curious if anyone actually has or does make ice cubes in trays in their freezer.  We've managed to keep frozen foods relatively frozenish in the past but haven't actually tried to covert liquid water into ice.

Because my DW is notorious for making Rum Runners throughout our trips she always wants fresh ice.  Sometimes the cooler ice will get some debris from around camp inside and she was asking me if I thought she could make maybe one tray of ice at a time in the freezer?!?!

Reason I now ask everyone here is because on this past weekend trip the DW came up with another brilliant permanent addition to our summer camping pack list.  This was the addition of Otter Pops to our food selection.  I hadn't had these since I was a kid and at first laughed at her for wanting them.  First let me publicly apologize and thank her for being smarter than me because on high 90's and mid 100 temperature days, a frozen Otter Pop is quite possibly the most amazing thing in the world.

Here's the kicker though, our freezer was empty sans the Otter Pops and they were frozen solid before the move to the Pod freezer.  I moved them over Friday morning and I think, now on Saturday when we got them out they were slushy at best.  The ones at the back of the freezer next to the metal piece were frozen pretty well though but again most the others were a nice icy slush.

So now I'm curious if we could actually start with liquid water and turn it into ice, and I'm also wondering if anyone else's freezer performs similar to ours or if maybe we have an issue with the cooling.
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 11:31am
Yep, sounds just like my freezer!  I actually did freeze 2 ice trays this past trip.  The one on the bottom of the freezer froze overnight.  The tray sitting on top of it took over TWO days to freeze solid enough.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Damour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 12:15pm
This week end we also test the pod freezer and it's not cold enough to put fudge or things like that .

They were all half-melt  ..
But somebody have tell me that it's almost normal in this little freezer.

I will never again put fudge or creamsicle in the Pod freezer  ..
rp 171 , from Québec with not a good english writing lol
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 12:29pm
I don't know, I had Chunky Monkey in my freezer this past week and it stayed nice and frozen.  Smile
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 1:09pm
I'm thinking I didn't plug the fridge in at home early enough to get the freezer and everything to ideal temperatures before loading it up.

In the past I usually give the fridge 1-2 days plugged up outside the garage before loading all of our food.  I know how quickly the temp can drop every time you open the door and especially as you're loading it full of your trip's food.

I think it just took a while to get back to freezing temp and plus the sun was beating on the fridge side of the Pod all weekend which never helps.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 1:17pm
If you must have ice cubes on the go, you can buy portable ice cube makers.  I've never owned one or seen one in action...

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Pawpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 3:52pm
Tried freezing pop freezes and after 3 days still not froze. Got one of those fridge fans and they were froze the next day.
Ready to pod around!
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Pawpod

Tried freezing pop freezes and after 3 days still not froze. Got one of those fridge fans and they were froze the next day.

Which type you referring to Pawpod? 
Pawpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 6:27pm
One of the ones that go inside the fridge
Ready to pod around!
Iteach5th View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 8:25pm
When I put some ice in my little cooler I fill a zip lock bag with ice and put that in my freezer. Helps keep temps down and I have ice for my drink. We usually bring a small cooler for lunch if we leave a campground to see the sights

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right"- Henry Ford

2011 RP-177
2009 Jeep Cherokee
1982 Coleman Redwood pup
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>