R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedList of really useful things to bring along

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: List of really useful things to bring along
    Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 10:40am
Following another thread on running fridge on 12V/propane that morphed into RV LED lighting tips, here are some things we found really helpful/useful so far on our trips.  What are everyone's favourite items that make trips easier & more enjoyable?

1) We love LED puck lights.  We use them as alternate lighting when it's too hot to switch on the regular lights or when we're boondocking. Recently we also have been using them as mood lighting for when we feel the overhead light has too much glare.  We put a puck above each window pointing up, so there is no glare and the light reflects off the ceiling.  This is what we are currently using but are looking for something better. http://www.amazon.com/Rite-Lite-LPL623W-Puck-Light/dp/B000ETQLY6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312466667&sr=8-1  These pucks don't really cut it as task lighting but we have yet to find something better.

2) We love reading lights/book lights.  This one is my favorite because it has 2 LED light settings, uses AAA batteries and also has an ac adapter for shore power and even a stand attachment with magnets. It also comes in different colors so everyone can have their own.  The accessories are sold separately but still, a good all round reading light. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1933622709/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

3) We like candlelight, however when it is not convenient to light a candle, we use this LED table lamp. The light points downwards and not in your eyes. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TDL3TY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

4) We like whiteboards :) It's August so back-to-school sales are starting. Look for cheap acrylic clipboards to be used as inexpensive outdoor whiteboard/message boards.  We also like whiteboard/chalkboard sticker-sheets to make your own custom sized/shaped boards. http://www.amazon.com/Brewster-WPE90261-Dry-Erase-Message-Marker/dp/B000TW0QT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312468634&sr=8-1

5) We love Platypus water bottles. They are freezer safe and we fill with drinking water and freeze them to use as ice packs to help keep our picnic (and the fridge) at constant temperature.   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LSQCBU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

more to come :)

-T

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Damour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 11:02am
Ohh yes you say LED in english and we say DEL in french .. sorry  I hope everybody understant my message lol

LED puck lights ! That' what I have too and I love it !
rp 171 , from Québec with not a good english writing lol
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 2:10pm
I fixed your links for you.  You have some good ideas there!  Keep them coming!

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 12:35pm
6) We also love headlamps for handsfree convenience. Plus, they are available in multiple colours so everyone can have their own

7) We like water pressure! This is probably the best low-flow compact shower-head we've found to date. I think it might even fit into the exterior shower compartment MOD too.

8) For those of us who like to cook but want real stainless tri-ply cookware for the pod that doesn't take over all the storage space.  This is the only nesting cookware set that has 2 handles of metal.

9) We like Tide Sink Packets for when we need to wash 1 or 2 items only.  They are low-sudsing, and easy rinse Smile

10) For campgrounds that have hard packed ground, we like rollable table-in-a-bag low coffee table-styled tables.  This small aluminum one is good for setting drinks between 2 chairs and for individual use at group gatherings.  This wood one we use under the r-dome.  This Coleman 4-in-1 table looks interesting but we haven't personally tried it yet.

More to come Smile

-T

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 2:25pm
I second 6 and 10.  We have 2 small aluminum tables like the first link in #10, but ours are regular table height.  We take them to the kid's games and everywhere else.  We have the same as the wood table but ours is aluminum, I like that I can put a hot pot on it w/o worrying about burn marks.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 3:19pm
I have a small aluminum table that I set the grill on.  How many times have you see burnt table tops in campgrounds.  Lots!  I don't have to worry about burning the table.  I also use Puck lights, home and the camper!

Terry

PS:  Keep the ideas coming!
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 6:57pm
I second the Oxygenics shower head.  That is a must-have for every Podder.  I like the fact that I can have decent water pressure as well as saving water.  

If you're like me and are OCD when it comes to cleanliness, then you must buy a boot scrubber to set outside your door.  I actually bought a plastic one from Camping World, but this one works well too.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/campers-world/high-country-boot-scrubber/lmt375120

While I do enjoy my laptop movies and sound system, power does make it a drawback while dry camping, so I bought a car dc power plug so that during the day, I can recharge my my laptop in my truck while doing other outside activities in the daylight hours.

For those of you who really enjoy their satellite radio, I would also recommend a boom box that has the plug in capability for your satellite radio and/or your Ipod.  Most of these boom boxes also have the ability to run off of battery (usually 8 D batteries) power.  

I've also recently ordered and will report back to you on how the new Bose mobile speaker performs.

It is the Soundlink Mobile Speaker on the very first page of the website.

http://www.bose.com/

For those of you, like myself, who enjoy a skinny dip from time to time, make sure you bring good bug spray, plenty of extra dry clothes, and some kind of clothes line.  Clap Evil Smile

2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 10:52am
11) For the 18" wall outside the bathroom, we found this towel rack on a pole that fits perfectly in that space.  It comes with 3 towel rods that swing out, and a single plastic hook for a hanging toiletry kit or robe.  I'm not sure if it can handle heavy towels bouncing up and down enroute, but it's a great space saver if the over-the-door towel rack isn't your thing or you'd like to hang extra towels.  It can also be assembled to fit perfectly inside the shower as well.  The company is also really friendly and just sent us an additional plastic hook to hang a second robe free of charge. 

12) For bath mats, we love using thick fluffy handtowels. They are sized perfectly for the small space just outside the shower and are quick to dry because of their small size.  We carry a stack of them and rotate so there's always a dry one on the floor.

13) If you like techy towels, we like these for use while traveling as they are lightweight, absorbent but quick to dry.

14) We like being dry :D and have an Ikea laundry rack similar to this (<$20) for when at a site with no trees from which to hang our laundry line.  

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 11:38pm
15) As I'm still waiting for Greg to install LED rope lighting as twinkly lights inside the pod, I'm temporarily using these LED candles for mood lighting.  These particular ones take regular AAA and AA batteries and are inexpensive and are not too heavily scented.  A plus is that this one has a 4-hour timer to switch itself off automatically in addition to the regular on & off settings so I can go to bed earlier without worrying about keeping a glaring light on for Greg.  Being flameless, these are also petsafe.

16) We love our plug-in towel warmer, which doesn't warm the towel as much as dry it.  We have an older model similar to this one here that we use in the pod in the cooler and/or wetter months and it really helps dry the towels and can also be used to keep clothes crispy-ish in damp weather.  It made our trip up to Maine this wet fall so much more comfortable.

17) We love our battery/plug-in fan that can be moved around the pod and the campsite to help ventilate the pod Smile  This particular one comes with an adapter for 120v.  The fantastic fan version pushes much more air (is essentially the same as the one in the bathroom) but needs a car to plug adapter and really drains battery.

more to come....
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
Alex&Marie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 9:19pm
Great list and I can't think of much to add except:

(18) a cordless drill with a socket to use on the stabilizer jacks.

(19) zippered pillow bags for storage of extra clothes and towels

(20) collapsable bins for laundry
Alex and Marie
2012 R-pod 177
2006 Toyota Tundra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>