R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectric Heaters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Heaters
    Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 10:03am
While we love the heat output of the furnace, sometimes (ok - all the time) it's quite loud when it lights up.  I was wondering what type, make & model of alternative heaters are being used in people's pods.

With a 152 (the smaller version of the 172) and a fluffy dog, we're a bit worried about heater accidents.

-T
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 10:18am
I tried a small electric (AC) ceramic heater first as an alternative to the propane furnace.  The problem was the incredibly high temps the heater put out. It had a tip-over shut-off switch.  I experimented by just shutting off the heater and then checking on how hot the front was.  It stayed hot enough to catch paper on fire for more than 1/2 minute.  If the unit had tipped over while heating...it still could have started a fire!  It also had a small fan which was not very quiet. So I switched to the smallest 'oil-filled' electric heater I could find.  It puts out a lot of heat but never hot enough to ignite anything. You can even lay a wet towel over it to dry without it ever catching on fire.  And it makes no noise at all. It is much larger than the ceramic heater but I feel safer.
TIDALWAVE
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 10:59am
I don't have my heater here at the house and I don't remember the name of it.  Its a little black box looking thing.  It will shut off if it over heats, tip over switch, fan (3 speed) and thermostat.  It stands about 1' high X 8" wide and 6" deep.  I set it on the counter by the sink.  It isn't loud and as long as it doesn't drop below freezing outside it will heat the camper.

Do a search for small electric space heaters.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 11:47am
The 'pods are so well insulated it doesn't take much to keep them warm, even if you leave the vent wide open to help control humidity.  Our small ceramic heater barely comes on, which is what we use when we have hookups.

I agree they are not the safest things, especially with young kids and pets.  When our kids were younger we just kept them on the counters out of the way.  If your dog doesn't get up on the counter you could try putting one there, or even higher up on a shelf.  I'm sure you won't have room in your 152 for an oil-filled heater, they are fairly big.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 9:40pm
We use this portable electric heater from West Marine:

It's relatively flat and low to the ground, impossible to tip over. Heater elements are safely concealed deep inside the heater body. Thermostatically controlled, with a sleep mode that's relatively quiet. We've been camping in weather down to the upper 30s/low 40s at night and it does just fine. 

The downside is it's more expensive than a typical cube heater. 
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 2:53am
We have a small little heater called a Vornato, it has 3 fan settings and 2 heat settings. With no kids or pets in the POD we put it at the base of the table on low heat and slow fan speed, it does more than just take the chill out.
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 11:26am
Here is what I use:

I bought this at Lowes a while back for around $10 (?).  Like Huron, I have used it in 30-40F and even on "low" it keeps things plenty warm.
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 9:41am
Gee thanks everyone Smile

I did find an oil filled wall panel/towel unit that "might" fit the 18" wall (our only wall) we have between the bathroom and the bunk beds but realized that it would be right under the thermostat.  Not ideal.  However, if this heater was good enough to be used instead of the pod-furnace, this placement wouldn't be a problem.  It is also $$$ Ouch and might not be available in a plug-in model.

We also have a portable towel warmer but it's not a 2-in-1 model that can be also used as a heater. http://www.amazon.com/Warmrails-Wonderbar-Hanging-Warmer-Chrome/dp/B002I63952/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1313933403&sr=8-3  This model is great for slowly drying towels that tend to stay damp in the inside and for adding a bit of warm on the inner layer.  It does not have the power of the other models that can actually heat up a thick spa towel.

We also have a dog-proof outdoor one that we love for warmth, but it is very bright and very orange.  Not sure we would mount it inside the pod.  http://www.amazon.com/Solaira-Season-Quartz-Patio-Heaters/dp/B000BWMV6S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313933827&sr=8-1  This a effective patio light when everyone is facing away from it and when there are other sources of light to combat the orange-ness of the heat lamp. Star

Still looking....

-T

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 11:30am
Get one of those oil-filled floor-based radiator style heaters.  They make no noise, have much more "confortable" heat, have safety devices for an accidental tip-over and are great for putting wet hats/gloves on top of them to dry.  The only negative about them is they take up floor space.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Hawkeyes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 3:01pm
We used a little ceramic heater on our trip to South Dakota.  Kicks on and off without making much noise.  It did not make the floor hot and we loved it.
Hawkpod
2013 Surveyor Sport 189
2017 Chevy Silverado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>