R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSlideout Awning Instal ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slideout Awning Instal ?
    Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 10:37am
OK, so here is the deal, we have friends, who in the first 18 months of ownership, discovered that their slide had been leaking, apparently since day one. By the time they realized it, the ENTIRE slide had to be replaced. Was not an R-Pod or Forest River product. The dealership went to bat for them and got it covered under warranty. Took about 6 weeks to get it done.

So we are sure we don't want any chance of that fun and adventure if we can help it.

Ordered a Carefree Sideout Kover II to fit a 72" roof. Trailer already has an awning rail in the right place.

BUT.. looking at it, right where the awning itself should mount, there is a trim piece that runs all the way around, with a plastic insert that covers what I assume to be the screws that hold the "flange" to the "room"..  It looks like that will need to be cut and removed in the area where the mounting brackets for the awning need to go..

Anyone else done such a thing and how did you handle it??

Thanks in advance for any help..

TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 4:06am
I haven't done it but I don't think it would be a problem.  Personally, I think all slide outs should have an awning over them.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 7:02pm
OK, update on progress..

The trick is in getting the mounting brackets in the right place, so the brackets will be screwed into the room framing. That framing is directly under the flange track..

Having to build a filler piece to go inside the flange "track", and a spacer to go below it and support the brackets. I am using .250" x 1" aluminum bar stock to build them. The spacer I just drilled holes to line up with the bottom bracket holes and painted. But the filler for the track area of the flange I am fitting.. it needs to be .610" x .180".. that should make it flush, +/- a couple .001's with the spacer..

Once they are done, I will remove the track filler strip, a couple screws that the factory put in there, put in my filler and line up the bracket, mark, remove filler, drill it, then use the self tapping screws provided with the awning to mount the brackets. There are also two corner filler/cover doohickies that will need to be modified.. all easy from there.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 8:03pm
Couple pictures to show what I am talking about.. (this is the right end of the slide out, the left is just a mirror image..

The starting point..

The plastic trim removed..

The fillers in place..

And, the fillers and the spacer.. The bracket will screw over these..

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 12:21pm

Its too bad they didn't include mounting points from the factory.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 12:57pm
I think part of the problem with that (factory installed brackets), after rolling over to my local(ish) RV store to see how they were done is.. there is no standard. Each awning manufacturer uses a different kind of bracket system. and not all slides are "flanged" the same..

Got my brackets up this morning.. going to need a second pair of hands to get the awning in the track and mounted.. I think feeding that awning welt bead into the track past the scupper is going to make putting on the Rdome look like childs play.. at least vocabulary wise..lol

TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 1:33pm
It looks good so far.  Good job!Smile

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 3:39pm
OK, so, awning up. Need to run it in and out several times to settle the fabric, then secure the fabric to the track. And modify/replace the corner cover thingies..

It was actually pretty easy to feed in there myself.... once I broke the scupperCry superglue will fix it I am sure..

In:

Out:

My buddy who had to have his slide replaced happened to stop by yesterday, He noted the 4"-5" roofing/sealing tape across the outside of the slide roof. He said his first slide didn't have that, but the replacement did.. He thinks that was probably where the water was getting in. All I know is I feel this a good thing. Water is the ENEMY.

FISHTAIL View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 4:40pm
Nice job.  I was going to do this also, until I read that Forrest River advised against it.  They never gave a reason why they didn't want us to do it, they just said not too.  My 'guess' is that they are concerned that the awning could bind and damage the slide out mechanism.  I can't see any other reason why they would care.

After my warranty is up, I will probably go ahead with this project anyway.  I wasn't to worried about water per-say, but more about sticks and stuff getting caught up there and tearing the seal when I draw the slide back in.
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 4:42pm
Off topic, but was that a 94-98 Mustang I spotted in your driveway in front of that airstream?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>