R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSlideout Awning Instal ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slideout Awning Instal ?
    Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 4:46pm
I can't hardly see how FR would be against it.. they sell the trailer with the rail already installed.. About my only concern is it's weighs about 15 pounds.. that's 15 pounds off my payload weight. I will have to carry fewer s'mores kits next trip..lol

Where or how did you learn they were against it? My dealer was willing to put one on for us, I just wasn't willing to pay him to do it..Wink
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by FISHTAIL

Off topic, but was that a 94-98 Mustang I spotted in your driveway in front of that airstream?

'95. Last year of the pushrod 302. As my wife says.. "it's completely stock from the cowl up"..

331 with a TwEECer, Tremac, full 3" exhaust with Flowmaster and offroad X pipe. Full Racecraft Suspension. '03 wheels and tires, Baer/Cobra brakes 3.55's etc etc..
FISHTAIL View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 9:11am
Originally posted by furpod

I can't hardly see how FR would be against it.. they sell the trailer with the rail already installed.. About my only concern is it's weighs about 15 pounds.. that's 15 pounds off my payload weight. I will have to carry fewer s'mores kits next trip..lol

Where or how did you learn they were against it? My dealer was willing to put one on for us, I just wasn't willing to pay him to do it..Wink

Saw it on the "other" forum.  Someone called to ask about it and they said no.  Never got any real explanation as to why.
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 9:16am

Originally posted by FISHTAIL

Off topic, but was that a 94-98 Mustang I spotted in your driveway in front of that airstream?

'95. Last year of the pushrod 302. As my wife says.. "it's completely stock from the cowl up"..

331 with a TwEECer, Tremac, full 3" exhaust with Flowmaster and offroad X pipe. Full Racecraft Suspension. '03 wheels and tires, Baer/Cobra brakes 3.55's etc etc..

Very nice.  I have a 92GT with a 331, 5 lug 4 wheel disc conversion (13" front, 11.5" rear..same as my old 03 cobra including that cars stock wheels), full exhaust, etc.  Still a work in progress though, I've been screwing around restoring it for the last 5-6 years and in the meantime have owned one other supercharged fox, 2 2003 cobra's (the second one was a 2.4kb car), and now a 2011 5.0.  It's a sickness..lol. 

I was on the fence between race craft, griggs, and maximum motorsports, and after talking with a few of the folks that work at various places went with MM.  Still not a full setup though, far from it.  I'm just getting started there. 

What do you think of the TwEECer?  I was considering getting one for the 92, but when I talked to Lund about tuning it he didn't seem to indicate that he needed it.  Still think it would be fun to have though.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 10:05am
Probably no need for the tweecer on an 92.. the OBDI crap on a 94/95 is a whole 'nother deal. Our very first engine mods were a "E" cam and thumper heads.. thing would start, and run too.. as long as you didn't need it to idle, or rev above 3800...lol The tweecer is pretty easy to sort out, do need a dyno and a exhaust sniffer to get the fuel/air mixture right across the whole range. But once it's there.. all is good. Idles and pulls to redline perfectly.

We have been seriously tempted by the new 5.0 GT, (and not just for the engine/tranny, but I have to admit, I am finally at a place were turning the key and going, is OK with me. The Mustang lost it's odometer gear last week, it's always some little something with it..) BUT as far as the '10 and on Mustangs.. I think the body is.. well.. just not all that. I don't think you could ever make that rear fascia profile NOT look like it was stole from a Maxima or Camry or something. If I could of had that engine in a '05 -'09...

At this time, we are looking (casually) for a '95 SR351.. thinking of building a 427 stroker for it if we find the right one.. We passed on a "R" we could have gotten at a very good price in '95, because we had a full tilt '86 and a very rare Teal '94 GT convertible at the time.. Both gone now.. Cry

and, Dang driftin' the heck outa' my own thread.. lol
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 12:21pm

Probably no need for the tweecer on an 92.. the OBDI crap on a 94/95 is a whole 'nother deal. Our very first engine mods were a "E" cam and thumper heads.. thing would start, and run too.. as long as you didn't need it to idle, or rev above 3800...lol The tweecer is pretty easy to sort out, do need a dyno and a exhaust sniffer to get the fuel/air mixture right across the whole range. But once it's there.. all is good. Idles and pulls to redline perfectly.

We have been seriously tempted by the new 5.0 GT, (and not just for the engine/tranny, but I have to admit, I am finally at a place were turning the key and gowing, is OK with me. The Mustang lost it's odometer gear last week, it's always some little something with it..) BUT as far as the '10 and on Mustangs.. I think the body is.. well.. just not all that. I don't think you could ever make that rear fascia profile NOT look like it was stole from a Maxima or Camry or something. If I could of had that engine in a '05 -'09...

At this time, we are looking (casually) for a '95 SR351.. thinking of building a 427 stroker for it if we find the right one.. We passed on a "R" we could have gotten at a very good price in '95, because we had a full tilt '86 and a very rare Teal '94 GT convertible at the time.. Both gone now.. Cry

and, Dang driftin' the heck outa' my own thread.. lol

Well, in my case I could use the tweecer for my injectors.  Any MAF that's "calibrated" for injector sizes larger than 24# starts to loose resolution and impact drive ability.  Problem is, if my 331 makes the power it's supposed to make (I'm skeptical it will), then 24# injectors aren't going to cut it at 80% duty cycle.  I'll need 30 or 36#ers.  And I plan on keeping my 24# calibrated MAF.  So...in order to do that, I'll need the fuel air tables re-programmed for the new voltage readings.  Jon Lund is going to do it for me with a chip now I think, but I've been meaning to ask him if he'd rather I went with a tweecer.  It's just been on the back burner while I finished a few other things, which are now done.  I'm waiting on my intake to come back from powder coating and then she'll be back on the road again.

So what kind of power does your 331 put down to the wheels, and what's your setup?  I've got ~10.5:1 static compression with a custom ground cam (and I can't find my cam card to post specs...lol), AFR 185 heads with a 58c chamber, Harland Sharp 1.6 RR's, Scat crank, RPM rods, Probe Pistons, Canton road race pan, SFI balancer, roller bearing timing chain (this was a cool special order Australian piece) and all ARP hardware.  Top end is a TFS intake manifold, MSD dizzy, and BBK fuel rails (these were a cosmetic mod).  Car sounds nasty as hell, dunno what kind of power it'll make though.  Originally started this build with the intention of open tracking it, but now that I see so few clean fox mustangs on the road I decided to scrap that plan and turn it into a clean street car instead..hence why it's taken so long.

Regarding the newer mustangs, I agree.  I love the front end, but could do without the rear.  I hear that 2013 is getting an updated rear fascia though that should solve that problem for you...so you might want to wait.  If you haven't driven an '11+ though, do it.  I wasn't even in the market for another mustang, I was shopping for a late model M3 when I saw that motor trend comparison.  After reading that I went and drove the 11 GT and ended up getting one.  One of my favorite options on the car is the glass roof, that thing is awesome.  And the car itself is a blast to drive, especially after I swapped the springs/shocks out for a steeda/koni setup.  Get's pretty decent gas milage too.  Go try one...

Good luck on the SR351, not many of those to go around.  I've got a buddy with a supercharged 95 R, not sure if he'd be willing to sell though.  I'd still like to get a teal 93 cobra, I really like those things for some reason.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 5:01pm
Mustang + R-Pod = interesting!  Not on topic, but interesting.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 5:55pm
Yeah a little bit of thread derailment does the heart good now and then.  Especially when it's car related :)
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 8:29pm
  Well furpod I have to through in my 2 cents. The job looks GREAT and I am sure that it is something that should be standard equipment, but the addition of the awning now increases the overall widith of the POD from 78 inches to 78 inches plus what the awning sticks out. This puts the trailer in a different DOT lighting class. Trailers 80 inches and greater require front amber marker lights on the top front corners,  red marker lights on the rear side top corners and three red identification lights in the middle of the trailer on the same plain as the top corner lights. Forest River knows this and I am sure that in order to keep expenses down they don't offer the options. 
  I hate to rain on your parade when I know the feeling of finishing a MOD that really makes sense, looks good and works well. Are you going to get pulled over by an officer of the law and have the trailer measured, it could happen if an officer is looking for that sort of thing. Will it happen, no one can say. I have thought of doing a couple of MOD's that would increase the width of ours but I am sitting on the fence because of the lights and the fact that we travel across the country.
   Great job......   Goose  
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Goose

Well furpod I have to through in my 2 cents. The job looks GREAT and I am sure that it is something that should be standard equipment, but the addition of the awning now increases the overall widith of the POD from 78 inches to 78 inches plus what the awning sticks out. This puts the trailer in a different DOT lighting class. Trailers 80 inches and greater require front amber marker lights on the top front corners,  red marker lights on the rear side top corners and three red identification lights in the middle of the trailer on the same plain as the top corner lights. Forest River knows this and I am sure that in order to keep expenses down they don't offer the options. 
  I hate to rain on your parade when I know the feeling of finishing a MOD that really makes sense, looks good and works well. Are you going to get pulled over by an officer of the law and have the trailer measured, it could happen if an officer is looking for that sort of thing. Will it happen, no one can say. I have thought of doing a couple of MOD's that would increase the width of ours but I am sitting on the fence because of the lights and the fact that we travel across the country.
   Great job......   Goose  

REALLY?? how do they figure the width of the trailer?? The awning in no way shape or form makes the trailer wider than it was. The fenders stick out 10 inches on both sides already. In fact, if "accessories" count (and somehow fenders wheels and tires don't), it's already wider than 80 inches if you count the fact that the bare body is over 77", the collapsible porch rail sticks out 3+ inches on one side when folded and the steps about that when folded and slide extends an inch or better even when "in" on the opposite side... don't even ask me about the door stop or porch light..

Any "officer" that needs that bit of excitement in his day is free to stop me and give me a fix it ticket.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>