R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSlideout Awning Instal ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slideout Awning Instal ?
    Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 11:40pm
  I did not write the rules, I just have to know them and abid my them. They are measuring the width of the trailer, that means the box on top of the axle and all attachments. No trailer can be wider than 102 inches including the width of the axles without an over width permit and the only exception is for saftey devices such as marker lights. I did forget about the amber and red lights that also would have to be added to the fenders on the POD, amber in front to the outside and red on the rear of the fender to the outside.
  I did not mean to upset you only to inform you on the regulations here in the US and why the PODS don't have all of the marker lights that you see on other trailers. As far as the nit-picky things that you can be stopped for, there was a post on here a while back about someone that got stopped in Utah because the fenders did not cover enough of the tires because the trailer had axle risers.
       Goose 
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 8:16am
You didn't upset me.

Your post just doesn't add up to me. As I said, If they measure the "box" then as delivered, the Pod with slide is about 78 1/4", If they measure all accessories and protuberances, (again, somehow skipping the fenders/wheels/tires), the trailer is still OVER 80" as delivered. So every Pod out there is wrong from the get go.

I am sure there are plenty of people who worry over stuff like this, but honestly, I don't.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 9:00am
There is a recall in effect for Canada to install new marker lights on the fenders and high-center on the rear on older 'pods, so it would seem (at least in Canada) that its the total width including the axle that counts.  Height must also come into play because many popups are far wider than the 'pods yet they don't have any extra marker lights, just the 4 corners.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 11:53am
Originally posted by FISHTAIL

Originally posted by furpod

I can't hardly see how FR would be against it.. they sell the trailer with the rail already installed.. About my only concern is it's weighs about 15 pounds.. that's 15 pounds off my payload weight. I will have to carry fewer s'mores kits next trip..lol

Where or how did you learn they were against it? My dealer was willing to put one on for us, I just wasn't willing to pay him to do it..Wink

Saw it on the "other" forum.  Someone called to ask about it and they said no.  Never got any real explanation as to why.

To revisit this.. because I asked the factory directly when we were there a couple weeks ago..

Here is the deal.. Most of the time, they mount the awning to the FACE of the slide. The factory puts a "backer" in that spot to support the mounting brackets. The only slides that FR doesn't do a backer on is..

you guessed it, the Pods.

In my case.. it never occurred to me that there would be a backer from the factory, so I attached to the actual framing of the slide. A FR rep said it looked great and will be fine. In fact the implication was that it was possibly better than the ones put into the backer plate..

SO.. if anyone stumbles across this and wants to do it, this is the not approved or recommended by the factory way to do it right. (or at least a field engineered way to do it safely)

LOL
3ofUs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 9:01am
Just noticed this track after a year. :( Where did you order the Carefree? I'm thinking this is a permanent roll-up type like on our previous owned motor homes.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 1:02pm
Ordered from pplmotorhomes.com out of Texas. Have ordered from them several times, very happy with them.
3ofUs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 10:48pm
Just looking for something simple, no major mod that someone else has to do. In the meantime, my Wal-Mart sunshades on my windows will work, although it sure makes it dark inside. :(
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 9:27am
Well.. this isn't for shade, it's to protect the slide from debris and rain/snow/etc. Wasn't a hard instal, but took some thinking and planning, and a little basic tool use/knowledge. I don't believe I have ever seen any kind of regular shade awning put on that side of a TT. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 2:42pm
It wouldn't be a bad idea to get more of the pod in the shade, especially if you were boondocking.  And give you more room under cover.  Although it might just be easier to string a big tarp above the whole thing.  I've seen that done many times for popups.  A bit "redneck", but functional.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Marx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 8:45pm
Our model has the attachment ready for it, we just have to purchase.  I think that I'm probably going to pick one up for it in the future.
2014 R-POD 177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123