FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing an R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing an R-Pod
    Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 8:29am
Hello! 

I have had a confusing and frustrating week! 

I own a 2009 v6 Toyota RAV4 without the tow prep package. (no, I can't add it because the dealer wants $3,000 to put that in now)

I am getting a lot of different opinions as to whether I can tow an r-pod 175 that I am thinking of purchasing.

According to the Toyota.com web site http://www.toyota.com/rav4/specs.html, a 2009 Rav4 without the tow prep package can tow up to 2000 lbs. One equipped with the tow prep package can tow up to 3500 lbs.

The Towing Prep Package includes an Upgrade Radiator, Fan Coupling, larger Alternator, and Pre-Wiring

I don't know what the fan coupling would do, and the larger alternator is to run the camper lights, etc. but the r-pod I am looking at has LED lights, so not a problem (?)
The pre-wiring is no big deal because I can get the people who are going to install my brakes to do that also.
The only thing is the upgraded radiator.  The upgraded radiator has a transmission cooler on it.  I can add an external transmission cooler to my RAV for $400.  Although, I don't see how that could make a 1,500 pound difference in towing capacity. 

Yesterday, the transmission guy told me that he didn't think it would be safe to pull a trailer with my RAV because my RAV was too light and I would get blown around by semi-trucks, wind, etc.

The RV dealers are telling me it would be okay.  Of course, they want to sell me something.

I will of course be adding an electric brake module, stabilizer and a sway bar controller hitch to the RAV.

Do any of you have experience with pulling an r-pod with a SUV?  I don't want to make a huge mistake here! Ouch

Jumper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 10:37am
I would be concerned with towing a R-Pod with a Rav4, just for the reasons you stated. A short wheelbase veh. like a Rav4 would not be a good idea, I have a 2010 4Runner and I am still debating between a R-Pod 171/MPG 180 or just sticking with my first choice and getting a Rockwood A122 (A-Frame folding trailer).

The R-Pod 175 has a dry wieght of approx. 2300lbs, when loaded up you will be close to 3300lbs., in my opinion that is cutting it to close to your max tow limit of 3500lbs.

An external trans. cooler should not cost $400.00, a good quality B&M cooler is around  $75.00 and the install should only take about an hour.  
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 10:46am
I tow the smallest made R-Pod with a Tacoma with the OEM installed tow-package.  No way in hell would I attempt to tow an RP-17x with a RAV-4, even if you had the OEM equipped tow package.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 12:33pm
I have the exact model  RPod you're looking to buy. I, like Nascar, tow with a Tacoma TRD off-road. Mine has a tow rating of 6500 lbs, and does a fine job of towing our 175, but I wouldn't want to tow with any less able tow rig. When you push to the top of your tow ratings it can get pretty nasty. An RV dealer is looking for profits and doesn't look after your welfare. Many of us here have made poor trailer/tow rig decisions in the past, and it can be expensive, frustrating, and dangerous. Be very careful!
pineview View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 1:18pm
I tow my 172 with a 2011 Chev Equinox with the 6 cyl engine with around 260 h.p.   I do not use an equalizer hitch or sway control.  I have no problems with sway under any conditions and the trailer tracks true.   My only complaint is that I would like a little more torque for the hills.  I am not a newbie to towing rvs so I'm well aware of towing conditions.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 7:11pm

Welcome tattulip and Jumper!

tattulip, I agree with you that as long as you get a transmission cooler on your TV (tow vehicle) you should be ok.  A larger alternator doesn't help in any way - while the brake system on the 'pod and the fridge in 12 volt mode will use quite a few amps, standard alternators can handle that load.

What is the wheelbase?

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Also, welcome! Smile
tattulip View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by techntrek

tattulip, I agree with you that as long as you get a transmission cooler on your TV (tow vehicle) you should be ok.  A larger alternator doesn't help in any way - while the brake system on the 'pod and the fridge in 12 volt mode will use quite a few amps, standard alternators can handle that load.

What is the wheelbase?

Thanks for the welcome!

The wheelbase is 104.7.  I was on the RAV4 forum and several people have said they tow a small lite weight camper with their Ravs.  Dunno! 
Jumper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 9:02pm

You are doing the right thing checking on the different forums and researching the information, but in the end you will have to make a decision that you will be comfortable with. I would always side with caution when it comes to towing. Good luck with your choice and enjoy your new camper. 

David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 6:50am
 The weight limits in towing does not consider the wind loads. If you look in your manual it may under towing give you your square footage allowed for the front of what you are towing. That has been the biggest problem with small SUV's. I think there is one or more forum members who tow a Rpod with a Rav4 that may be more helpful. Our Jeep Liberty has a 5000 lb. towing capacity. That 5000 lbs. may be fine for a boat with low wind resistance, but for our 171 Rpod it has to work hard to get up steep hills. I think a V6 Rav4 could pull a 175 Rpod but you may prefer that you had a stronger engine.      David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>