Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing an R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing an R-Pod
    Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 11:30am
I use to tow with a 2009 Equinox.  It was OK but I didn't like running a 3000-3500 rpm pulling into the wind.  I know with our 176 I was close on the max towing capacity.  IMHO I would think about a different TV.  I would be very concerned about the transmission etc.

2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 2:29am
If you have enough figures to plug into the graph on the following site, this may help you determine whether the RAV4 is capable of towing the Pod.  Here is the site...

Click here

As others have mentioned, there are a lot of variables here.  There is the weight distribution calculation as seen in the above link and the engine power to carry it all.  I'm betting the 2.5 liter will struggle greatly, but the 3.5 liter should be able to handle it granted that the RAV4 can handle the weight. 

P.s.  Sorry guys, I just don't know how to post links in shortened form.  :(

Edit:  I shortened the link - techntrek
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
philstat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

I tow the smallest made R-Pod with a Tacoma with the OEM installed tow-package.  No way in hell would I attempt to tow an RP-17x with a RAV-4, even if you had the OEM equipped tow package.

Why is that?
mt868 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 8:08am
I had a 2008 rav4 without tow pkg. I gave it to my dad and got a 2008 Highlander without tow pkg. I'm thinking about adding a tranny cooler to the Highlander. 

I have a 2011 MPG (2500 lbs). I wouldn't tow with a Rav4 because it's wheelbase is too small and it's engine is too small. The Highlander does fine but I can def feel the weight when going up steep hills.
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 8:10am
Originally posted by philstat

Originally posted by this_is_nascar

I tow the smallest made R-Pod with a Tacoma with the OEM installed tow-package.  No way in hell would I attempt to tow an RP-17x with a RAV-4, even if you had the OEM equipped tow package.

Why is that?

Because even with my Tacoma at a 6500 max towing capacity, I'm very aware the Pod is behind me while towing.  I can only imagine what that would feel like with a Rav-4.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 12:21pm
Definitely get the tranny cooler.  The last thing you want to do is over heat the transmission--that's one expensive repair.  
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
tattulip View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by tpierce220

Definitely get the tranny cooler.  The last thing you want to do is over heat the transmission--that's one expensive repair.  

Well that's because it's a FORD!  ;)

I pulled it with my Rav-4 and it pulled like a dream.  I only went a couple hundred miles.  If I pull further, I will get the tranny cooler put on it. 
2Peas-n-Rpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 8:34am
We used to pull our 182G with our Montero that has a 3.6L V6, 5000 lbs. capacity, and towing in the mountains or into a wind really pushed the engine and tranny to the limits. After one trip, we decided to get a TV with more power and torque, as well as a longer wheel base, and we are very pleased with the results. Considering how much strain we put on the SUV, you will want to consider a larger TV, especially if you travel in the mountains much at all. Just my experience.
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
"Ribbitt" Pod (now sold)
2000 Ford F150 5.4L V8 TV
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 6:14pm
We use an f150 with lots of headroom on capacity.  On the flat it isn't needed.  In the Rockies I wouldn't want much less.  I haven't had it in the nasty winds that sometimes are a problem out on the planes, but I think the bigger TV would be a help there also.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 10:44pm
We moved up from our Grand Caravan V6 to a 4.8l. V8 Durango when we tried the Caravan on a few short trips around home. Yes, the dealer was right, we could tow with the Caravan but not with any comfort level at all. Once we moved up we took our pod on several long trips (Ontario from Alberta and back and Grand Canyon and back) and hit some very steep hills and bad wind storms and were very glad we had not risked those trips with the Caravan.
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>