R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould I have any concerns buying a 2010 model?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I have any concerns buying a 2010 model?
    Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 2:51am
One thing missing from the '10 and included on the '12 is the front stabilizer jacks.  Considering how many of you are going to be walking around in the Pod, you might consider buying the '12 for the fact that you can stabilize the shakes just a bit more with the added front sizzor jacks.  
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
jnsluft View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 7:16am
Originally posted by secretbard

One thing missing from the '10 and included on the '12 is the front stabilizer jacks.  Considering how many of you are going to be walking around in the Pod, you might consider buying the '12 for the fact that you can stabilize the shakes just a bit more with the added front sizzor jacks.  

This is the type of stuff that I'm hoping to find out.  I'ts another question to ask the dealer before pulling the trigger.  Thank you very much.

Shawn
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 12:25pm
A very minor problem, we fixed it by using jack stands (sturdier than portable jacks), but you could negotiate the addition of permanent jacks as part of your deal.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 12:33pm
My '10 RPod 175 came with front stabilizer jacks. It probably depends on the build date whether the trailer has 4 jacks or not. Also, they are really cheap to install or have installed. The scissor jacks on the '12 Pods are a little better quality than the stab jacks on older Pods, but that also is not a big deal. I dunno, are the HRE models the only ones with scissor jacks or do all '12 Pods get scisssors?
Also, you really should not try to level the RPod with either the old style stab jacks or the scissor jacks. The old style jacks will bend, and the scissor jacks will put too much torque on the frame of the Pod which may cause enough frame flex to bind your door. Level the trailer, then use the jacks for stabilization only. 
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 1:05pm
Our early '11 177 came with stabilizers all around.. but I surely would not let that be a deal breaker.

There is a whole section on this forum dedicated to all the things owners change or add to make the Pod theirs.. or better than it was when it left FR.

secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 10:27pm
These guys are right when it comes to adding extras after the fact, such as installing your own front stabilizers.  It seems as though the features of each Pod change throughout each given year providing more features later in the production year.  I don't know.  

In any case, when you shop for your Pod, the best advice would be to try everything out, walk around and inside it, sit on the toilet, imagine your family walking around inside on a rainy night, try to imagine all of you sleeping in it.  Is there enough room?  What features would you like to have in your future Pod?  Take a peek at the Forest River web site and look at all the specs and features and figure out what your ideal Pod would look like, then examine some alternatives and runner-ups, then the must-haves and don't-needs, then the compromise, then finally the purchase.  There is a lot to think about, but this Pod will be all your own, so you have to determine (based on what features and options are available) what Pod is right for you.  By the way, the compromise only comes if you choose to buy a used Pod as you may not get everything on your list, but you may save a tremendous amount of money by going the used route.  
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
Tri-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 12:24pm
We purchased a 2010 176, new from the dealer this year.   The only major difference we found was that the outside graphic were different. Ours had front & rear stabilizer. We saved a bundle so it was to good of a deal and it felt right. We have had ours for 6 months and had no problems. Good luck. Clark
2010 PR 176 sold 2012 replaced with
2013 SP 240 w outside kitchen
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
Me, My Honey, and Max our GSP
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 9:53pm
I have just asked about getting the "what ever" off the sensors in the black water holding tank.
I ordered, as suggested, a Master-Blaster from Amazon. This is put on the end of a hose (NOT your white hose) but the one you clean with outside. It has a cut off valve on it and you carry it inside, insert it down the toilet, turn it on and spray the insides down. So for us that do not have the built in new addition, this probably is the best way. I have not used mine yet, but sounds as if it will work. Short of taking it to the dealer to do the same thing.

'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
travelite View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 12:11pm
I can only say as a casita owner the one thing I will miss is there is a small widow in the bathroom,  when you 're at the dump Sta. you run a hose through the widow and wash out the tank. I know some that leave a small amount water in the tank and drop a bag Ice in it while going down the road, the ice banging around helps clean the sides of your tank, and the then dump that before getting home......a lot of work to me.....but it will keep the tank clean....
You know it time to clean the frigerator...When something close's the door from the inside.
pamspod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 4:20pm
Love the quote!  LOL  I'm a newbie too, and hate to be so dense but where exactly do you put the bag of ice that helps clean it down??  I need a play-by-play!
Pam
'10 R-pod 171
'10 Chevy Equinox
P's in a Pod!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>