R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould I have any concerns buying a 2010 model?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I have any concerns buying a 2010 model?
    Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 4:43pm
We are looking for our first camper, and with everything we've looked at so far, we always go back to the r-pod.  Our camper has to hold mom, dad, 6yr old, cocker spaniel, and maybe a 6yr old's friend.

The first 'pod we saw at our local dealer was a new '12 172 (the only r-pod in stock).  The size and weight seems to match with or car, a 2005 Nissan Quest which has a factory hitch and a recently installed Firestone Coil-Rite kit .  

We traveled yesterday to another dealer who had several new models.  It was nice to see the slide-out version, r-dome, and rear garage. 

One model they had was a '10 172.  Apparently used only once or twice.  Believable, because the r-dome was still in the box, and tags and stickers were still in place inside the camper.  We really like this one because of the price, r-dome, and it has the early version colored hoop decals.

But back to my initial question.  Has anything changed or improved since the 2010 models were introduced?  I want to go back and look at this a second time, and would like to know what to look for and check out.

Any help is appreciated.
Shawn

kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 6:29pm
I think "mostly" the only difference you'll notice are a few additions here or there that aren't necessary but have improved some of the looks of things on the inside.  Some decorative railing over the top of some shelves and microwaves and maybe a few other things.

One thing that will be different on the '12 model is the addition of the black tank flush which to my knowledge is coming standard on all the Pods now.  I think the mid 2011 production cycle began adding those.  And that is a nice feature that actually serves a nice purpose.

This I can't confirm but I think all new models now are also coming with sinks in the bathroom?  Now don't quote me on that for sure, for that might be very well only a feature on the 18x models.

For the most part with that '10 being as new as it sounds if the price were right, I don't think there would be much that a new '12 has that you'd be missing out on.

We own an '11 model and haven't seen any changes between ours and the '12's.  However owning a 18x model some things are different to being with.
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 7:28pm
Shawn,

I have a 2011 177, and it came with a corner sink in the bathroom.  Some people really don't like the sink because it takes up space and makes the bathroom a tighter squeeze than it was already, and it's only a couple of steps to the kitchen sink anyway.  As for myself, I neither really like it, nor really hate it. - But it's a good place to lay the showerhead when you're soaping up.

The blank tank flush is a great feature, but if you're speaking several hundred or a thousand or two dollars difference in price for the 2010 barely used model, then you may prefer that the price would drive that decision.

The only other thing I would add to Kymooses' post is that in the 2010 there was some complaints about the C-channel through which the R-Dome slides through.  The complaints were that the screws inside the channel needed tightening down flat in order to let the R-Dome slide on through, and the end of the channel was a bit tight.  Most people fixed that problem by tightening the screws, and widening the end of the channel a little bit by bending the metal to flare out the openings at each end, and to spraying the channel with a silicone spray to permit the R-Dome to slide through more easily.  On the 2011 models, Forest River flared the C-channel openings already, so I assume they were aware of the earlier complaints.

But the bottom line is that if you can get a much better deal on the 2010, then there's no need to fear that you are getting an inferior model, unless you REALLY want the extra features of bathroom sink, black tank flush, and a flared opening on the C-channel.  Maybe some of the other members may advise you if there are other extra features you should consider.

Good luck on making your decision and welcome to the world of podding!

2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

jnsluft View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 7:32pm
Here's my next newbie question.  What's a black tank flush?

Shawn
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 7:37pm
It's an opening for a hose on the door side of the R-Pod.  Basically, you connect a hose, and a sprayer inside the black tank will rinse down the sides.  Why that's important is that toilet tissue and other gunk (yep, think poo) can get stuck on the sides and dry out, and affect the sensors on the gauge that tell you the level of your black tank so you know when to empty it.

Our techie guys might can explain it better - but I think I basically explained it right.

Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 7:47pm
Diane explained it well.  Is it necessary?  I don't think so.  In my decades of camping I have never had one and I have never had black tank issues.  The other side of that coin is that it certainly doesn't HURT matters....can something be too clean?   To use it, you need to have a "garden hose" type connection of clean water, while hooked up to a drain.  Most typical dump stations don't have this.  I have only encountered it at "full hook up" campsites. 

One other thing several have encountered; with the large circle decals - many have had them start peeling after a few months (myself included).  This seems to occur mostly on the front and secondly on the rear.  The sides seem to do just fine.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by David

Most typical dump stations don't have this.  I have only encountered it at "full hook up" campsites. 

Really?  I've never stayed at any park in kentucky that didn't have a non-potable water connection at the dump station.  Yes but like you said, it isn't necessary, we use ours because we have it and that's about it.  I have no idea if my tank is any cleaner than anyones who doesn't have it.
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 9:18pm
Again welcome, jns. We bought a used for three weeks very early 2010 RP171 from the first owner. It came with a number of improvements and without a microwave oven, which is not a priority for us. The nice thing was that any of those little bugs had been worked out between the first owner and the dealer. So far, another plus is that the decals are still intact and show no sign of peeling. if you believe that you are getting your money's worth, and that the dealer will back a reasonable warranty, then the 2010 is a good buy. I just bought a black tank flush system (do it yourself) (and Hodge-Podge got it right!) for less than $20, so maybe your dealer can include one in your purchase deal.
Good luck and happy Podding!!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 10:31am
Originally posted by kymooses

Really?  I've never stayed at any park in kentucky that didn't have a non-potable water connection at the dump station.  

What can I say....I haven't camped in KY in a while! LOL
Indiana does not have them at dump stations and I don't recall them at the National Parks that I have visited.  All have had non-potable water - but no "garden hose" type spigot.  But, then again, I could be wrong! Confused
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by David

Originally posted by kymooses

Really?  I've never stayed at any park in kentucky that didn't have a non-potable water connection at the dump station.  

What can I say....I haven't camped in KY in a while! LOL
Indiana does not have them at dump stations and I don't recall them at the National Parks that I have visited.  All have had non-potable water - but no "garden hose" type spigot.  But, then again, I could be wrong! Confused

Dunno, only place in Indiana we usually go to is Scottsburg to Jellystone.  You know how us Kentuckians are about rubbing elbows with you Hoosiers anymore than we have to!   LOLLOLLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>