R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing
    Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 5:46pm
We have an RPOD 171 and live in Mobile AL.  Although we winterized last year, we plan on camping through the winter and doing the "coldest" months in FL. What do y'all in the SE do regarding winterizing? Is it really necessary? We will be in NE GA in September and Oconee SP SC In October with a plan to get to Guntersville Lake in November. CAn we avoid winterizing under these circumstances?
Thanks for your help and advice.
Uphill, Di, Tracer & Jorja
2011 171
2008 LR3
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 6:42pm
If I lived in Mobile, and didn't intend to be north of there, no way would I even use the word winter.. let alone make plans for it..lol.

Winterization is mostly just preparing your water and sewer systems for FREEZING weather.. if you are not going to be where there is such a thing.. no reason to do it.

We winterize here, but we have extended periods below freezing, and in fact occasionally extended periods of single digit temps.. So we would definitely have frozen pipes if they had water in them. 
uphillracer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 4:22pm
Thanks so much. I thought that might be the case. I figure I will let the water out of the low point drains when we are at home.
How about camping in freezing conditions? Will the furnace create enough heat to avoid lines/pipes/hoses freezing?
We will probably go to N. AL in November and then NW FL Dec - Mar.
Thanks,
2011 171
2008 LR3
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 4:55pm
Isn't Mobile in "N.W. Florida"..?Tongue

I *suspect* that in those areas, you *probably* won't see a hard freeze, so I would think you would be OK.. If you are going to over winter in the FLA.. ask some of the snow birds how they handle it, what they have seen for lows, etc. We are going to LBL just after T-Day for a few nights, the average lows there for that time of year are right at 32.. Will leave with empty tanks/WH.. try to keep them that way if it looks like a below average run of temperatures..

1 note though.. on a Pod your holding tanks are completely exposed to the weather/temps.. I am sure if you keep it warm inside the trailer your plumbing will be fine. If I was worried about the tanks themselves, I might add a layer of that shiny bubble wrap insulation to the under belly, kind of enclosing the tanks, so some of the heat from above would keep them above freezing.. I have not looked to see the feasibility of this.. it's just a thought..

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 5:23pm
Thanks. Also, though undocumented, a great ideaSmile
2011 171
2008 LR3
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 5:42pm
Actually, I hate to say it (after hearing some recent objections to math...) but physics will tell you that in near and near-subfreezing temperatures at night, your best bet is to have nearly full tanks under your 'pod. The mass of liquid will take much lower temps to solidify than having just a thin layer in the tanks. Considering that the pipes for water are all internal, the warmth generated by your bodies, the heater and that glorious winter sun (the reason you are there!) and a little ceramic heater (see other threads for that discussion) will keep your water flowing. If one is worried, some "space blankets" on the ground, or even held up against the tanks, will radiate the extant heat back into the tanks.
Enjoy your winter in the south!   
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 5:49pm
I totally agree. The greater volume makes freezing, chemically, more difficult!Great point!
2011 171
2008 LR3
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 10:09pm
I agree about thermal mass.. but if you are somewhere a "hard freeze" can/is expected.. that is a whole other ball game.. And I have to admit, considering what it takes to get one of them tanks full.. it isn't like you are going to watch the weather report and say.. "gee gonna be a cold one tomorrow.. better run to White Castle and get some gut bombs and build up some thermal mass..."

OK, actually I mountain bike with some guys who would say/do that.. but most folks wouldn't...Tongue

And my apologies to any WC fans out there who might be offended.. but everyone KNOWS Kristal's are better.. and COZY INN is the very best.. look it up. (I'll help.. www.cozyburger.com )
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 7:43am

A good way to save some propane.  Nuke

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 10:49am
Originally posted by furpod

And my apologies to any WC fans out there who might be offended.. but everyone KNOWS Kristal's are better.. and COZY INN is the very best.. look it up. (I'll help.. www.cozyburger.com )

I live in WC land (aka. "sliders", "gut bombs", etc.) and no offense here.  Krystal's ARE better.  No trip South would be complete without a quick lunch stop there. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>