Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuestions on a 172T

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions on a 172T
    Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 2:23pm
   Hello folks, my wife and I are new to the forum and are about to get a new 172T, but had a couple of questions.
1. Can anybody rate the overall performance of the RPods for us, what do you think about them?

2. We were wondering if anyone has used it without the tent being down, how much is it in the way.

the dealer is closed for the holiday weekend and we just had some questions. We are planning to sign the papers come Tuesday and was looking for some info good, or bad...Thanks
Bear
barbanjoe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 3:13pm
OK, here goes, My own experience only!!! We spent 2 hours at the dealer going over every detail including setting up and then we took down the r-dome.  We did this because we upgraded from tenting, although we had rented pop-ups and class c Rv's from time to time. Last year we were out 11 times, long weekends and 1 week in san diego. Our tow vehicle is a jeep liberty rated at 5000 lbs and has a v6.
Any direction from home requires uphill driving and I have had zero problems in towing without a WDH or sway bars. I do turn off overdive if we are not on flat terrain and  average 8-11 miles to a gallon a/c on while towing.
 Our Pod went through 3 tv/dvd/radios before we got a good one and I have had a few loose screws inside. We have had no other issues.
 To be fair about things, I have spent my whole life in the transportation industry fixing and driving anything with wheels, and although you will see many opinions on here about the quality and other rants, I have found it a quality product, worth what I paid and of better features compared to other small trailers( quantity of water, cabinent finish,storage areas, ) again my own experience only!!!!.
BarbanJoe
010 Rpod 171
02 Jeep 4x4
12 Ram 1500
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 6:27pm
Welcome to the forum and to the podding life!

Ihope you have spent some hours going through the forum topics and threads. There you will find just about every opinion imaginable, but the greatest majority, or even supermajority, echo barbanjoe's experience - the R-pod is a delightful camping trailer, well made, quality components, and well thought out. It is not without the certain little glitches that seem to come with these types of machines, but a good dealer or a little thought and clever work can right justvabout all the problems.
Again, I urge you to read all the forum posts, you will be much the wiser for it. Welcome!,
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 9:23pm
Welcome!  We love ours.  We've had a few glitches, but I expect that from any device/vehicle/home.  We like using our EZ-up awnings more than the R-Dome most of the time, but the Dome has its place during rainy weekends.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 8:51am
I absolutely LOVE my R-Pod.  It has all the conveniences of a bigger towable, is simple to set up or break camp, and I can hook it up or unhook it all by myself.  My daughter thinks it's a bit small - she has a pop-up - but the trade-off in size is worth it to me for its convenience and ease of use.
Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:14pm
Welcome to the group! Smile

You'll notice that I no longer own a Pod (used to own a RP173).  However, IMHO, the Pod is competitive with anything in it's class/price (18' TT) when it comes to quality and value.  Mine was well made and everything did what it was supposed to do.  I only had a couple of minor caulking issues - which I repaired myself, in just a few minutes.   
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:27pm
We shopped for a TT for two years and went back and forth between PuPs, hybrids, small TH's, and even went back to our original idea of just buying a boat.  I spent almost a year researching and reading the forums while we shopped and debated, all the while getting more and more information on the Rpods.

We made the decision last summer finally but didn't buy until early this Spring, and we've never looked back and have been thrilled with the performance and quality of our camper.

Now I won't lie, we've had issues but in my opinion they are nothing major.  And so far all of our issues have dealt with appliances.

We had to have our grill replaced that came with our unit because it didn't get much flame on it.  We had our convection microwave replaced, not because it didn't work but because occasionally the door sealed shut and wouldn't open so we could get our food out.  And currently right now I think there's something wrong with our fridge and we're looking at having that serviced.

Now that might seem like a lot but to me that's minor glitches.  The Pod itself is nice and easy to tackle most addition and maintenance with ease and very little prior knowledge.

So we're happy and even with some issues will remain happy with our purchase.  The Rpod has changed the way we camp and made it even more enjoyable.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 6:19pm
We have about a dozen nights in our 177 now. Not a single complaint or problem. (@ kymooses.. we made ice this weekend..Wink)

We also looked at lots of other campers, and of course already had a large one.. plus picked my parents brains who are on their 4th or 5th RV, camped with them several times.. compared notes. I think for the money, you just can't go wrong. It it well built, fully equipped, just the right size..
Iteach5th View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 8:19pm
We've had our 177 since April and love it. Spent 25 days on the road traveling from Long Island, NY to Yellowstone and the Tetons, Been down to Chapel Hill, NC, Hudson Valley,NY,and just returned from a long weekend in the Adirondacks. Easy to pull with my Jeep Grand Cherokee, a breeze to set up and unhook. Hot showers and all the comforts. Total of over 40 days out with it so far this season. Loving every minute of it.

My wish list so far--better television and risers that hopefully will help with draining the tanks.
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right"- Henry Ford

2011 RP-177
2009 Jeep Cherokee
1982 Coleman Redwood pup
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 12:02am
Iteach5th,
For someone who hasn't retired yet (you haven't, have you?), you have sure done some traveling in your Pod!  I'm impressed.  And about the risers, I just camped out for the first time since having mine put on, and they really do help you drain your black and gray water tanks.  Finally -- no more "uphill" draining!
Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>