R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI've been SLIMED!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I've been SLIMED!!!!!!!
    Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 4:49pm
Yes, I've been slimed....worse than Bill Murray in the original Ghostbusters movie! Cry

It started Labor Day weekend when I noticed my water pump acting strange.  On the last day, luckily, it wasn't pumping much water at all...just a periodic "spurt".  Yet, I could see (looking at the tank, along with my monitor panel) that I had plenty of water in the fresh water tank.

So, as I am packing to go home, I'm thinking: "Great...I've lost a water pump".  Oh well, when I get home, I'll get online and order another one.  This, I did, without looking any deeper into the matter.  In a couple of days, I had an exact duplicate of the original.  A quick swap of the pumps and my troubles will be over!  Or will they????
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 4:55pm
Hmmm.. large bit of algae find it's way into the intake?

Confused 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 4:45pm

So there I was, laying on my back underneath the camper. I see dark matter floating about in my fresh water tank. (Ooooo…this is not good!) I unscrew the water intake hose to the inside water pump and get just a dribble. (Ooooo….this is not good!)  Cry

Out comes the needle-nosed pliers to remove the inlet screen; it’s covered in green goo. This is followed by a rush of water and more of the ectoplasmic green slime/goo - some of which needed to be coaxed out with the pliers. Along about this time, on of my 5th wheel neighbors comes over to see what I’m doing. Neither of us had ever seen algae quite like this!   Dead

Anyway, the tank has been taken care of and the whole fresh water system severely sanitized, repeatedly.

I can honestly say I have never had an issue with algae before. However, in retrospect, the situation was ideal to have an issue with algae. (Though this was surprisingly BAD) (1) The camper had sat for about 3 weeks between trips, (2) we had approx. 30 days straight of 90+ degree days - with some over 100, (3) this year, I had taken to filling my tank at home - which is untreated well water (other than passing thru a water softener), and (4) the “bulge” - which I’ll address in the upcoming “Battle of the Bulge”

Tri-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 5:21pm
OMG , you certainly scared me with your post, until you got to the part about well water. So sorry for you problem, but it does bring up a good point, we have stayed at camp grounds that were on well water so I guess it pays to ask the attendant before you top off your tank. Good luck with finding a solution. Clark
2010 PR 176 sold 2012 replaced with
2013 SP 240 w outside kitchen
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
Me, My Honey, and Max our GSP
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 6:49pm

Wow, that's certainly one way to go green.  Dead

Glad you got it all out.  Now you have me worried, we have a well and I always keep some water in the tank all summer so we have water to wash and flush with on the road.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
cgarb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 1:49pm
OK, if you empty the tank after each trip, will you still get algae? I've been wondering about this. We empty it and refill for each trip, but don't sanitize between trips. What do you think? Are we going to start becoming pod-people with things growing in our tummies from the water?
Carol
177 HRE rpod
2014 Honda Pilot
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 2:51pm
Normally you shouldn't have to sanitize more than once a year.  There is also the argument that RV antifreeze is in the alcohol family and therefore everything but your fresh water tank is naturally sanitized all winter long.  And if your tank is dry all winter even that shouldn't be growing anything (same goes for between trips to answer your question).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 4:47pm
I'm going to "sanitize" my fresh water tank with Jim Beam.. cut out one step in the evenings...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by cgarb

OK, if you empty the tank after each trip, will you still get algae? I've been wondering about this. We empty it and refill for each trip, but don't sanitize between trips. What do you think? Are we going to start becoming pod-people with things growing in our tummies from the water?

I can honestly say I have never had an issue with algae before. However, in retrospect, the situation was ideal to have an issue with algae. (Though this was surprisingly BAD) (1) The camper had sat for about 3 weeks between trips, (2) we had approx. 30 days straight of 90+ degree days - with some over 100, (3) this year, I had taken to filling my tank at home - which is untreated well water (other than passing thru a water softener), and (4) the “bulge” - which I’ll address in the upcoming “Battle of the Bulge”

Normally, I just sanitize twice per year and that has always been fine. 
melp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 10:58am
I can say that I have never had an issue with green stuff in my fresh water tanks. I have had travel trailers from 16' to a 30' fifth wheel. In this new single lifeI went with the R pod. Between one and two week long trips, from Feb. in Florida to October in the Great Smokies, I leave the tank empty. I never haul with fresh water tank containing any water. As far as flushing on the road I keep a couple of one gallon milk jugs full of tap water. Use enough to "dump the pot". I then fill up fresh water tank at the campground. I never drink campground water and use only bottled water when I am settled.
melp
 Post Reply Post Reply