R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattle of the Bulge!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battle of the Bulge!!!
    Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 6:21pm

Perhaps you have noticed, when your fresh water tank is full, it sags or bulges downward in the middle. It did so on my RP173, as it does on my present camper. In doing so, the water tank never completely drained. There is/was always a couple of gallons of water that would remain. This remaining water can become fertile ground for algae growth.

My recent bout with the green goo caused me to vow “this ain’t gonna happen again! The Battle of the Bulge has begun!

My present unit has but one center supporting strap for the fresh water tank - with one perimeter support at the front and rear attached to the top of the tank and floor/underbelly of the camper. The center strap is so flimsy, it promptly bent downward under the weight. If memory serves, my Pod didn’t have a center support at all.

For my first attempt, I added the largest steel square tubing I could find at the local Lowes store - 1”. I installed it about 1/3rd of the way back on the tank and left the existing support as is. This has helped, but it is not enough to accomplish what I want - a reasonably level tank bottom for good drainage. The weight of the full tank deflects even the steel tubing(though to a lesser degree than the flimsy OEM galv steel angle.

However, because the tank is flexible, instead of one large bulge, I have 2 smaller bulges. This is better, but not acceptable. I am still weighing options but, I’m thinking of finding a source for steel Unistrut and making 3 cross braces with a steel plate on top of those to help hold the tank bottom reasonable level. When I do this, I’ll probably upsize the tank from 20 gallons to 30 or 40 gallons. 20 is good for a weekend, but that’s about all, without reloading the fresh tank. I have a 39 gallon gray and a 20 gallon black so 40 fresh would not be unreasonable, I think.

In the mean time, I think I’ll bleach more often than twice per season. Here is a picture of how things are now:

I couldn't fit the whole picture in but, you can see the OEM brace still sagging and maybe even detect the 1" steel tubing deflecting some.  The tank is flexible enough that it wants to "conform" around the tubing. 
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 7:06pm
Years ago I heard someone from emergency management who came to speak at our church about preparing drinking water for emergencies such as hurricanes.  They said drinking water could be stored in 1 gallon jugs for up to 6 months if there was added 1 tsp chlorine bleach to each gallon jug.  So if 1 gallon of water was safe to drink with 1 tsp bleach, then to me it stands to reason that you could multiply that # of teaspoons by however many gallons your potable tank would hold.  And if there was a trace of chlorine bleach in your fresh water tank, then it seems to me the algae couldn't grow.   And if you are reluctant to drink it you certainly could still use it for showers and dishwashing with no harmful effects.

Just my thinking for whatever it's worth . . . . .

Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

iamsmonk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 10:07pm
David, would it be possible to put an additional drain outlet at the lowpoint of your tank?
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 8:11am
Not sure I would do that, its pretty low to begin with.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Hodge-PODge

Years ago I heard someone from emergency management who came to speak at our church about preparing drinking water for emergencies such as hurricanes.  They said drinking water could be stored in 1 gallon jugs for up to 6 months if there was added 1 tsp chlorine bleach to each gallon jug.  So if 1 gallon of water was safe to drink with 1 tsp bleach, then to me it stands to reason that you could multiply that # of teaspoons by however many gallons your potable tank would hold.  And if there was a trace of chlorine bleach in your fresh water tank, then it seems to me the algae couldn't grow.   And if you are reluctant to drink it you certainly could still use it for showers and dishwashing with no harmful effects.

Just my thinking for whatever it's worth . . . . .

Diane

Thanks, Diane.  Candidly, I intend to do that or purchase some chlorine tabs for the period between trips.  I take "store bought" gallon jugs of water for drinking and cooking, so a little bleach or chlorine will not be a bother - other than I don't like the smell. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by iamsmonk

David, would it be possible to put an additional drain outlet at the lowpoint of your tank?

Thanks to you and Tech.  I found a place on line that will take a standard tank size and put the fittings, sensors, fill tube, etc. where requested.  Even without considering the drain, I have always wished the tank were a little better supported.  I was surprised that approx. 160lbs deflected even the 1" steel tubing.
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 9:09pm
I just checked out the underside of my Pod and it seems that even with a full tank of water, there doesn't seem like there is any discernible unusual bulge.  Based on your picture, it seems that the Pod has the water tank situated a little different.  Yours seems like there is more mass in one area, verses the Pod that has the tank spread out like a rectangle. 
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 7:36am
Yep, my 151 has that buldging fresh-water tank too.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
 Post Reply Post Reply