R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSuperbrightleds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Superbrightleds
    Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 7:44am
Well.........there are LEDs and then there are LEDs. It is very difficult to compare all of the different products "apples to apples".  SMDs are probably the best thing out there, right now but...there are SMDs and then there are SMDs.  Wacko

Lumens are a measurement of light output so higher lumens should mean more light.  The "barrel" type LED, while more output, is going to put some of the output straight up into the fixture, itself - much like the standard 7 watt incandescent bulb... relying on some of it being reflected back down out of the fixture.  My ones in the first post are directional - with a 120 degree beam pattern (they all shine down out of the clear lens).

Kelvins are a measurement of the "temperature" of the light.  An incandescent bulb is around 3000 Kelvin.  As one moves to a higher number, the light will be "cooler", with a more "bluish" tint.

Personally, I think you are doing the right thing by buying one or two and determining if you like them.  The number of actual LEDs are not necessarily a good indicator of Lumens output or power consumption.  How and where you intend to use them factors in , also.  What I like, you might very much dislike and vice versa.
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 10:14pm

Update on LEDs . . . I ordered only 2 of these from Camping World because they were expensive, about $18 each.  I've installed them, and I like the cool white color - it's so much easier on my eyes.  They are 78.45 lumens They look like this:

This bulb is 90 lumens and costs $ 7.48.  I am really confused over the difference in the price of both of these.  Both LED lights are in an array of 15.  And this "cheaper" one is more lumens?  Will that mean more light output? Confused
Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 11:29am
Oh, thanks Furpod! 

Yes, on the overhead light, I already slid the cover off, but I was afraid to pull too hard on the bulb, so you answered that question for me -- just pull it out.  Also, I was trying to figure out what type of standard bulb I was replacing.

My "porch" light bulb also burned out.  I had no trouble removing the cover or removing that bulb.  The porch light is a barrel type connection, 12v, type 1141 bulb. The info on that was stamped right behind the bulb.

I appreciate your help!

Diane
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 11:12am
You need the "wedge mount" type bulb.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/led-directional-bulb-with-wedge-mount-connection-/55025

If I was going with a flat panel type, I would get the ones on eBay for about 90% less.. oh wait, I did..lol I bought 24's (3ea) and 12's(8ea), from this guy....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Smd-LED-Universal-T10-Car-Interior-Dome-Light-New-/130508479340?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e62e95b6c

To remove the light covers squeeze them a bit and move them latterly away from the base, easypeesy.

On re-reading your post, you have the cover off.. just trying to remove the bulb? if so, yes, they pull straight out. A couple of mine were stubborn, but none broke. The "porch" light is a different, base but all the interiors are wedges..

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 9:36am
Originally posted by cgarb

We got them at the dealer where we bought the rpod. I'm afraid it is a bit far for you, since it is in Stockton, Calif.! I would think any RV store should carry them.

LOL  Yes, I would find that a wee bit too far!

Okay, some of you that have already switched to LED bulbs, help the rest of us out.  Will any of  these LEDs fit the R-Pod?  After all, Camping World is accessible to all of us, at least online anyway.

Thanks!

P.S.  One reason I ask is because I'm having trouble removing the existing overhead light bulb  to look at the type of bulb and type of connection (12 volt, type # _____?).  It looks so fragile I'm afraid if I just pull it out (is that the right way?) I'm going to break something.  So do the overhead lights have a "wedge" connection? 

Hmmm . . . . . . kind of a new twist on how many men does it take to change a light bulb?  (Or women, huh?)

Embarrassed  Diane
2011 Mercedes ML350

Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 11:54pm
Thanks for the replies.  I went to a local dealer today that sells the rpods and popped off one of the covers of a light.  Seems like these will fit just fine.  They are adhesive backed and look like one of the connecters that are supplied with the bulb should fit the fixture.  They are being shipped direct from Hong Kong and should arrive sometime next month. Won't be able to fire them up till next spring at the earliest.  In the meantime I am adding to my "wish list" of additions to my 171 that I will order from the dealer.  Have been looking into waste disposal and so far have come up with a Camco Mod # 39761 waste disposal sewer hose kit which has very positive reviews from Amazon.  And the quest continues!
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Hugozork View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 10:35pm
Hi,
I purchase the same type as camper bob with 36 led and i'm very satisfy,
FrenchyPOD 171 2011
Toyota FJ Cruiser 2008 - MIA
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Tidalwave4455

Request of LED purchasers: if you post your opinion on the LEDs you install, would you be kind enough to include the lumins that the LEDs put out?  Last year I decided to replace all of the interior lites with LEDs.  After a long search in the web, I bought what was stated as the brightest LEDs then available which would fit the Pod's light sockets.  After installing, I found that the output was so low compared to the OEM incandescent bulbs, I put most of the OEM bulbs back in.

Ouch! Cry  Yes, it helps to have the specs in order to compare apple to apples.

One note about the type that I bought is that they are like "task lighting" or perhaps a desk lamp sort of effect...due to they way they are constructed.  This was what I was wanting.  There is enough ambient light for me to see to most everything, in general, that I want to do.  Although they are "warm white", they are not like the standard 7 watt incandescent bulb.  These put off a very white light - like an office florescent fixture (but not any blue tint that I can detect). 

With that said, judging by what I am reading, many would not like this type of LED array.   
cgarb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 5:00pm
The ones we bought are little cylinders with the LEDS arranged around the cylinder, 3 high. I'll try to post a picture later when I have time. They are 200 lumens each. They are plenty of light to read by. In fact they are just as bright as the ones we replaced. We put one of each type (natural white and cool white) in each fixture and the result is the same kind of light as the standard bulbs. The brands are Green LongLife and Next Wave LED. They just plug right in in place of the standard bulbs. Hope that helps.
Carol
177 HRE rpod
2014 Honda Pilot
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 12:54pm
How well do they work?  Are they far brighter than the original bulbs?
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>