R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
sfish View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ
    Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 10:33am
Mine is going in on the 28th to have the recall done. They said it was a big job and they needed it for the day. Thanks again to Kristin for all your help.
sjf
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 3:36am
I got my Pod back from the dealer yesterday.  The light kit looks real good!

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 10:54pm
Pics of my marshmallow (front/back) here, for those that haven't seen it yet:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2007&title=removal-of-decals-front-and-back
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
secretbard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote secretbard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 10:36pm
I nearly did the marshmallow on the front and back, but left the R-pod name decal on both sides as neither were peeling.

Yay!  This is post number 172 for my R-pod 172.  Tongue  
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 8:38pm
Well, Tracy, you could go "marshmallow" on the front and back like we did.  Smooth as a baby's butt.
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 7:11pm
I would also like to add that the side clearance lights, per CFR 571.108 Table ll, should be mounted "to indicate the overall width of the vehicle"

That, to me means install them as far to the outside as possible to meet the intended purpose of indicating the extreme width of the vehicle.  I plan to tell my dealer where I want them installed and have a copy of the spec when I take the Pod in for the recall work.

gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by g4royce

We were a bit surprised at how high the bar was and also a bit concerned that it was so close to the a/c.  Our dealer said that DOT says it has to be level with the highest part of the body of the vehicle.

Light bar doesn't really have to be at extreme top of vehicle.   The standard, per FMVSS 108 is:
"On the rear—3 lamps as close as practicable to the top of the vehicle at the same height, as close as practicable to the vertical centerline, with lamp centers spaced not less than 6 inches or more than 12 inches apart"  
This is to allow for wierd shape trailers where putting at extreme top of vehicle would mean mounting of clearance indicators in a position that would no longer be at the back of the vehicle.

Per the engineering drawings submitted to the NHTSA it looks like the dealer installed it much higher up than it needed to be.   Should be lower and more like it was above the front of the Window.  (maybe 8-10 inches closer to the back)    From a safety standpoint it should serve its purpose the way it is.
g4royce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote g4royce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 5:20pm
We were a bit surprised at how high the bar was and also a bit concerned that it was so close to the a/c.  Our dealer said that DOT says it has to be level with the highest part of the body of the vehicle.

In regards to mpg, we have seen 13.5-14 (if our car's readout is to be trusted) over flat terrain on the highway a few times when towing ever so slightly nose-up by moving the weight to the back compartment. Our average speed was 55-60 Unhappy  You know, those times when everyone on the HW is passing you and you secretly refer to the thing you're towing behind your car as the "snail-pod" Embarrassed. However we usually average 11-12mpg on most trips.

The lights are actually just simple screws, screwed into the fender, so it's easy to move them, but there will be holes where it was originally installed.

The front decals were already curling when we got our 'pod in fall of 2010, but this year we were surprised to see the back decals start to peel.  We haven't decided what to do about it yet, though I've threatened to have it wrapped into a mouse, a tomato, pumpkin or even a Pokemon when Greg is out of town LOL

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 4:45pm

Since your bar is higher than the placement for the 17x and 18x I'll be interested to see if you do in fact notice a change in your MPG.  Yours might be high enough to actually affect the turbulence in the wake.

A shame they have to put the lights so far in.  IMO that negates half of the reason for the recall - to put marker lights on the widest part of the trailer.  At four inches in they might as well have left them off.  I'll have to talk to my dealer about that before they do the work.  Maybe I'll see if they can just run the wires to the fenders and leave them taped there then I'll install the lights myself.  On the outer edge.

Looks like you are starting to get the infamous decal peeling like I did. 
g4royce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote g4royce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 2:06pm
Just got our 'pod back from the dealer yesterday and they seemed to have done a good job.  We have a 152 so its up there with the a/c....

Our dealer also told us that they had to install the fender lights exactly where they did (4" in from the sides) bc of DOT regulations and that moving it further out was not negotiable.

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>