R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ
    Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 4:28pm
     Camping World sells a lot of different campers on consignment. I asked a while back if they would sell ours and they said no they would not sell a Rpod on consignment. I wonder if the reason was because it was not leagal and they did not want to be liable if there was a law suit. I never asked why, perhaps I will ask them and see if it was because of improper lighting.     David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Tri-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tri-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 6:54pm
David, be really helpful if you can getmsomething in writing.
2010 PR 176 sold 2012 replaced with
2013 SP 240 w outside kitchen
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
Me, My Honey, and Max our GSP
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Tidalwave4455

Thank you GMANDUAL for informing the R-Pod community concerning Forest River's attempt to get out of following US-Canadian safety rules. Especially on the short time left for owner comments to the NHTSA.  (I did send in my comments).
Please keep us apprised on the situation as it unfolds.
Thank you again.

I second this!  Your work and research are appreciated, I'm sure.  It is unfortunate (but not totally unexpected) that FR would not want to recall.  It would/will cost them a lot of money to remedy this.
Good luck to all of you!   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by David and Danette

Camping World sells a lot of different campers on consignment. I asked a while back if they would sell ours and they said no they would not sell a Rpod on consignment. I wonder if the reason was because it was not leagal and they did not want to be liable if there was a law suit. I never asked why, perhaps I will ask them and see if it was because of improper lighting.     David

I too would find this interesting.  The local CW took my Pod on trade in March of 2010.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 6:46am
I wonder how much it would cost us to have this work done if Forest River gets their way on this issue.  They should be ashamed of themselves!  What they are attempting makes good financial sense but really lousy PR sense.

Terry  
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 7:49am
Comment submitted.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 7:52am
Originally posted by TerryM

I wonder how much it would cost us to have this work done if Forest River gets their way on this issue.  They should be ashamed of themselves!  What they are attempting makes good financial sense but really lousy PR sense.

Terry  

I've been complaining about FR and specifically the R-Pod, since the 1st month I've owned mine.  I won't rehash my issues, but this latest non-yet-to-be-a-recall issue only strengthens my negative thoughts and opinion of Forest River.  Here's the issue.  With all of this now "out-there", people will still continue to support FR and purchase their products, for some strange reason.  Voting with your wallet is the only way these makers will pay attention.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 10:41am
Originally posted by TerryM

Terry  

Right now its virtually impossible to retrofit the lighitng yourself and do it with out impacting the value of your trailer by damaging it while making the lighting legal.    The unique curve design of the trailer means its VERY difficult to fabricate a piece to attach to top rear of trailer that makes sure that the 3 indicator lights are parallel to the road.    The fenders are easy to do yourself, the 3 indicator lights are near impossible to do without harming the trailer.

I have been fighting this for now over a year and a half, and finally got my trailer fixed by forest river with the Canadian retrofit kit in September of this year.     The custom spoiler piece FR has made is the only real way to attach lights without damaging the trailer physically or negatively impact its appearance.    Which means the lighting kit FR has put together is really the only viable option at this point to do the lights correctly.    Because of this the nightmare scenario would be that FR petition gets granted by the NHTSA, and then owners of trailers could potentially end up having to buy the custom spoiler piece from FR.   Who knows if that is how it would happen.   FR might be just trying to get out of notifying owners, but still might do the update for free on a case by case basis for people who call them.

As well as putting comments in with NHTSA, it might be to your benefit to contact your R-Pod dealer and inquire about them filing a warranty claim to have them install the canadian lighting recall kit.  (doesn't matter if trailer is out of warranty, as its a recall.   Just dealerships handle it as if it was a warranty claim)   As FR's stance on the situtation right now might be different (better or worse) than what their stance might be on the 28th.    The kits area available but I have no idea what FR current position is on retrofiting the U.S. trailers right now.

rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 1:48pm
From the letter Dated Dec 22, 2010 from Forest River, Inc. to NHTSA

Marker lights would require the following items:

Roof Spoiler w 3M Hat tape - $42.65
Adhesive Promoter $39.27/gal. -.1 gal req. - $3.93
314"' LED Clearance Light-Red $3.82 ea 3 req. - $11.46
14-2 Green/White 12 gauge wire $0.11/ft 20 ft req. - $2.14
Yellow wire nuts .02 ea 10 req. - $.20
#8x l"PanHead WhiteScrews $.Olea IOreq. - $.10

Labor to remove aluminum molding on the road
Side rear, install spoiler, lights and wiring and re-
Assemble and seal aluminum molding at $1 00.00/hr, 1.5 hrs req. $150.00

Clearance lights require the following items:
Sealed Marker Light Amber $.69 ea 2 req. - $1.38
Sealed Marker Light Red $.69 ea 2 req. -$1.38
Base for sealed marker light $.41 ea 4 req. - $1.64
18" Lead wire for sealed marker light $.39 ea 4 req. - $1.56
16 gauge DK Green TEW lOSe wire $.03/ft. 24ft req. - $.83
4'' split black convoluted tubing $.02/ft 24ft req. - $.58
1!4" plastic loop clamps $.007 each 10 req.- $.07
Insulated WP connector $.33 ea 4 req. -$1.31
14" NAT mount Cable Tie $.04 ea 8 req. - $.30
#86 Red Wing Twist-on connection $.03 ea I req. - $.03
#8 x 1 Quad Pan SDS Zinc Screw $.01 ea 12 req. - $.12
Y4-14 x 1 Unslotted HWfl SDS Zinc Screw $.02 ea 10 req. - $.20

Labor to install, wire and seal lights $100.00 per hr, 1.5 hours req. $150.00

Total cost per trailer $369.87

multiplied by 2,741 trailers equals a staggering
$1,013,813.60 cost for these two divisions. This does not include the shipping cost and
postage for the notification. There is also potential of de-lamination and leakage that
could result if the aluminum corner molding on the road side is not properly re-installed
and sealed.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 2:12pm
Also something else Forest River Stated:

"Forest River recognizes the error of the interpretation of the standard and has rectified all
R-Pods built as of December of 2010 by adding the clearance lights to the fenders, amber
in front and red on the rear along with a red reflector on the rear of each fender. We have
also added a spoiler to the rear of the unit to house the 3 red rear marker lights indicating
the height.
The basis for our petition for exemption is for several reasons.
1. The box of the unit is under the 80 inch width and is properly marked according
to table 1 V of 571.108. The fenders are low on each side of the unit.
2. There are a total of2,74l units involved and the cost to repair is substantial. Here
is a break down of the cost to add the marker lights and the clearance lights."

So ok they have said they are wrong, but the 2,741 units they did not build correctly are still ok to be rolling out on the roads?  I already know when I'm towing at night I cannot see the fenders and do not know how far they sticking out.

I'm drafting comments to be posted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>