R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ
    Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 1:51pm
I have seen quite a few down here.  People on vacation.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by rpodcamper.com

Also something else Forest River Stated........
....So ok they have said they are wrong, but the 2,741 units they did not build correctly are still ok to be rolling out on the roads?  I already know when I'm towing at night I cannot see the fenders and do not know how far they sticking out.
I'm drafting comments to be posted
I'm drafting comments to be posted also....Just in case anyone has missed it, FR inflated there numbers.  Yes they made 2741 units between 2008 and 2010, of that number 719 are already under a RECALL by CANADA unless I missed it in the fine print they use the total number of units created.   747,877.14 doesn't seem as large as 1,013,813.60, that extra coma makes it scary, which I might add would be a drop in the bucket for Forest River. 

IMHO Not that I would imply that I know more about R-Pods then Forest River, but if their fear of leaks due to the attachment of the Roof Spoiler, why not get a LED company to make a Battery powered, maybe light senative (or remote on and off) LED strip (to meet clearance lighting specs) , that could be glued to the body. Doesn't have to be on a Spoiler to make it safe.
My guess is they would come under the present 60.48 unit cost and would cut labor down to .50hr.

Also FYI, the first report of lighting problems was April 6, 2010 and the kept the heads in the SAND until NOV 2010  added spoilers in Dec 2010.

My Couple Cents.
LeeStar
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 2:17pm
That is a very good point about the one already done in Canada.  I thought the numbers were combined when I first read it but then pushed it out of my mind.  I did see there are about 20 comments posted up on Regulations.gov.  Hope more of the 2000 people end up commenting. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 9:51pm
I added a direct link for comments at the top of the first post.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 8:42pm
This whole mess has been beyond stupid.   Opened up the case with NHTSA and U.S. DOT over a year ago.   Last time I talked with NHTSA folks they seemed to imply that forest river was dragging things out unnecessarily using every legal dodge possible.    You would think that FR would just fix it and be done with it.   At this point I don't see the NHTSA letting them out having to fix the trailers.  But if they did FR would have to know it would end up as a class action lawsuit.
The integritity of the trailer arguments are BS when it comes to retrofiting the trailer.    I finally got NHTSA to call forest river on my behalf in September, and finally got my trailer retrofited.    While no one (including the dealer) would let me see the copy of the installation instructions for the kit, it looks like the spoiler just goes on the top of the trailer in the channel and attached with adhesive and they run the wiring down the channels on the outside of the trailer.   I put some silicon caulk on the inside panels of the trailer (just a dab) so I would know if they removed them, and caulk was still in place.  So don't think they had to do anything inside trailer.

Will be winterizing the trailer this weekend, and will take photo's and get them posted so everyone knows what the FR retrofit looks like.   For the most part it looks like the light bar was just always there.    But of course individual results will vary depending on are the dealerers will take when installing the retrofit kit.
Goose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 11:19pm
   gmandual, I have been following this and do have a stake in the outcome seeing that we have a 2011 that was built in August of that year and does not have all of the lighting that is said to be required. The first question that I had right away was what prompted you to take this to the NHTSA as a safety issue, I know that in the beginning you stated that you had a legal issue with your state but did not explain any further. It would be helpful to know what the legal problem was or what lead up to it so that everyone else that has POD's like ours might be able to avoid a run in with the law until the lighting issue is resolved.
   If you can help that would be great, you have already gone far beyond what the average person would have done.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Goose

gmandual, I have been following this and do have a stake in the outcome seeing that we have a 2011 that was built in August of that year and does not have all of the lighting that is said to be required. The first question that I had right away was what prompted you to take this to the NHTSA as a safety issue, I know that in the beginning you stated that you had a legal issue with your state but did not explain any further. It would be helpful to know what the legal problem was or what lead up to it so that everyone else that has POD's like ours might be able to avoid a run in with the law until the lighting issue is resolved.
   If you can help that would be great, you have already gone far beyond what the average person would have done.   Goose

I really can't get into to much detail, as am still dealing with some fallout from the situation so have been advised not to discuss many of the specifics.  But the basics of it was that a traffic stop led to lighting/legality of trailer lights being brought into question which then led to situation where trailer's ability to have its license renewed was put into serious doubt.   This led to me researching that part of vehicle safety code, contacting NHTSA for numerous clarifications, then finally filing a complaint with them.

kotasnana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kotasnana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 10:37am
Coment added!
Goose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 12:13pm
   Thanks for the answere gmandual, that was one of three situations that I thought was possible. Totally understand about not being able to talk about the details at this time. I did have a typo as I said that our trailer is a 2011 but was built in August of 2010.
     Lets hope that FR does the right thing to resolve the problem so that no one else has to go through the same situation.    Goose 
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 2:26pm
  comment added
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>