Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camp Grounds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShades of Death!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shades of Death!!!
    Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 6:01pm
Shades is my favorite Indiana State Park.  I have been going there since the mid 1970's.  The campground is all "primative" - meaning no hook ups.  However there are modern showers, paved parking spurs, fire ring and a picnic table.  Firewood and ice are available at the gatehouse but, there is no camp store and no close large town with a grocery so, plan accordingly.  You'll find your Pod will fit in most any campsite.  The campsites are reasonably well spaced and a certain amount of "greenery" is allowed to grow between the sites for a little privacy.  Here is the info - for your viewing pleasure:

The property/area has an interesting history - more of which I'll try to post later.  However, it was originallly referred to as "The Shades of Death".  Folklore attributes this to a couple of possibilities: (1.) The bloody battles of warring Indian tribes and/or (2.) A homesteader's wife who buried an axe in her wicked husband's head!  (women can be so lacking in understanding & sympathy sometimes Star LOL )
The name was thought to be "unsavory", so it was shortened to "The Shades" and is presently just called "Shades".

Here I am - arriving on Friday afternoon:

There is a water fill station (above) and a dump station.  As a side note, someone (here on the forum) noticed my hitch bar was set up with a 2" rise..........this is why.......the camper sets rather high (it's a 2 stepper to get in).  If you look closely, you'll notice water pouring out of the water fill port.  I was taking pictures, instead of turning off the water, as I should! Embarrassed

There's more pictures and narrative to come.  But, for now, I'll leave you with this caution/caveat:

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 5:38pm
Parked and set up for a weekend of camping.  It sure was nice to enjoy temps in the low 70's during the day and high 50's at night....after all the heat we've had this summer.

But, it's time for Dixie and I to hit the trail and see what wonders and adventure awaits us.  Downward we descend.....

until we arrive at our first erie wonder....the Devil's Punch Bowl!

I don't know these people.  Perhaps they scared off the pointy eared, pitchfork wielding fellow.  A few brief pleasantries and it is onward down the trail...........
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 6:15pm
Is that a radio antenna on the rear of your camper? 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 7:04am
Originally posted by rpodcamper.com

Is that a radio antenna on the rear of your camper? 

Yes.  It is a Yaesu ATAS 100 (motorized screwdriver) that is mounted to a 12' extending painter's pole that fits quite well in my spare tire bracket.  The other end is connected to a Yaesu FT847.  I have a lot of fun playing on the Ham bands - when not out hiking, etc. Smile

One day, when I become silly rich, I'd like to mount a Tarheel antenna (so I can work 80 meters, too) to either (1) above my existing crank up batwing TV antenna or (2) install a second crank up assembly for just the radio antenna.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 6:10pm

Dixie, veteran trail blazer, leads us off towards the unknown......

Fallen trees, muddy creek beds and perilous rock overhangs are of no concern for my best buddy K-9 adventurer!!!  Adventure awaits!

However, we eventually learn that when one goes down, one must sooner or later go back up. Cry
Being ever considerate of the needs of my friend, I pause from time to time to let her catch her breath. Embarrassed

Here we find ourselves looking down at Sugar Creek.  However, after a couple of hot/dry summers, there's not much of a creek at all.  Normally, this is a favored destination of canoe enthusiast and I have done so a few times myself.

It's time to leave the dried up creek behind and forge ahead....

What wonders might await around the next bend in the trail????
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 6:39pm
Well.....if you want to know what lies beyond the next bend in the trail, you'll just have to hike it yourself!  I wouldn't want to show you everything. Tongue

It's time for a shower and for Dixie and I to start thinking about supper.  Later, relax around the campfire.

Tomorrow it will be time to pack up and head off to that place we're all familiar with.......

And no....there's no hook up for your tank rinser...you'll just have to slosh!!! LOL

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 9:33pm
Don't forget the Calgon!  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
iamsmonk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 11:59pm
David, I always love to see photos of your adventures and love the relationship you and Dixie have.  You will never find a truer friend, never be loved like she loves you and never love another like you love her.  I cherish my 4 legged pals.
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 9:30am
Thank you.  It's nice to know somebody looks at this stuff....after spending considerable time hacking down photos to under 500KB.  LOL

Dixie is my 3rd GSD (in succession).

First was Kyna (pronounced Kee-na) black/silver, American bloodline
Second was Kenda, black/silver, also American bloodline (who played a part in earning me the moniker "wierd guy with a wolf")
And now, Dixie (Dixie Vom Kolenda) black/red, West German Sieger bloodline

As you might guess, I'm an enthusiast of the GSD breed.  All of mine have been just wonderful companions.  Here is where I got Dixie - they have some interesting info on the breed, if you are interested

and if you click on the GSD facts tab, you'll go here:

Yes, I've had my sanity questioned several times for spending that much money on a dog but, Dixie will be my last GSD so, I splurged!  I will be in my mid 60's when her "time comes".  I would be in my late 70's, at that time, should I get another.  I doubt that I could physically (and gently) carry another, at that age, for that dreaded "last trip to the Vet".

With the above said, however, I like all dogs.  We humans could learn a lot from them.  Being a fellow K-9 lover, no doubt, you understand. Smile  

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 7:53pm
I've been enjoying the pics, David!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>