R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFurnace/Battery Help and Black Water tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furnace/Battery Help and Black Water tank
    Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 7:47pm
I do use the BLUE stuff a lot.

Also the tissue for RV's
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 7:52pm
My wand, or the ones in the link and the Walmart variety do have a shut-off right on the wand.  

You are correct, the water pump is not needed if you have full hook-up as the water pressure from the spicket feeds the water pressure right into the Pod.  Normally, there is only one water spicket to tap into, so while your flushing the tank with your wand, you won't be hooked up to the city water on your Pod. 
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 7:59pm
Thank you for the information on the Blaster. Went onto Amazon and ordered one. Now have to decide where to go to use it.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 4:26am
Secretbard, I fixed your link in your post above.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 4:47am
Thank you.  

Could you message me on how to post the link properly?  Smile
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 7:45pm
Regarding the water softener, discussions I've read on using it say that the blue stuff isn't needed anymore after the first few water softener treatments because all of the stuff gets cleaned out so well.  Here is one article on using it, although I've heard of using less than they say, and w/o dissolving it in hot water like they say - just dump it in after a tank flush, fill with several gallons of water, and go on down the road while it sloshes around.  http://www.newrver.com/holdingtank.html
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 1:54am
  I had a Tornado installed in our black water tank when we bought the POD and have never had a problem with the sensors. That was one of the many things that I learned on the forum before we purchased the trailer. Put a clear section on the end of your sewer line and you know when your tank is clean.  Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 8:38am
Thank you for the article about the use of water softner for the black and grey water tanks. I am going out today and getting a supply in and starting the use of it.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Tidalwave4455 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 11:57am
When you go to buy the 'water wand' clean out device...check to see if it has a twist water valve on the top of the handle (mine did).  That way you can shut off the water at the wand.  My wand also came with a larger diameter plastic tube which you insert into the toilet to keep the toilet valve from closing down on the water wand.
Hopefully you had at least a quarter full tank to slosh around while driving over to the dump station...this helps loosen any sludge which has settled to the bottom.  A full (or 'empty') tank won't slosh and doesn't self clean as well as a quarter full tank.
I prefer to clean a drained tank when using the wand, that way the wand's spray will hit all of the interior surfaces of the tank rather than spraying ineffectively into water on the bottom of the tank.
1) shut off the water pump; 2) open the toilet valve completely; 3) insert the larger plastic tube (it should have three or four flange tabs which extend slightly larger than the toilet valve to keep the tube from dropping too far down the drain; release the toilet handle, the valve will close on the tube; 3) Make sure that the wand valve is not leaking (you don't want water spraying all over you and the bathroom; 4) before inserting the wand look at the lower end and find the spray hole(s) and their orientation to the wand valve handle; 5) insert the wand gently (the toilet drain has several cross pieces down below you need to go past); 6) turn on the wand water valve slowly (if the spray hole is positioned against the drain pipe, the spray may want to shoot back up at you);  7) increase the water spray and slowly rotate the wand so that the spray shoots out and hits all the sides of the holding tank; also raise and lower the wand so that the spray hits higher and lower; 8) don't get so involved that the tank fills completely and overflows the toilet, the last couple of inches fill really fast!. I usually fill the 'cleaned' tank nearly full. 9) shut off the hose valve, extract the wand, while holding the toilet valve open remove the larger tube.
Drain the tank at the dump station...when the tank is drained...flush the toilet a couple of times so that any remaining sludge is washed out. Close the drain valve.
Add the recommended amount of tank chemical and flush a couple of more times. (I add some tank chemical even if I am winterizing and RV antifreeze will be flushed down into the tank)

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 12:12pm
MM - Its one of those things I keep hearing about, but I never get around to doing... "add it to my list".  My very long list.  Anyway, water softener and detergent are now on my shopping list for this weekend so I can start using them.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>