R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFurnace/Battery Help and Black Water tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furnace/Battery Help and Black Water tank
    Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 6:00pm
Colder weather coming on! Tested my heater, works well. My question here is how much battery power, if any, does it use to run it or does the propane do it all. I am going out camping without hookups. How best to have some warmth without draining the battery.  I don't quite understand if the thermostat is powered by the battery when no hookups. For that matter, does the water pump have the assist of the battery?Confused
And the black water tank. This year the read out inside always reads "3 lights", whereas the grey water goes down to "1 light. when I have dumped. . The grey water  starts (when I start to dump) with 3 lights , goes down as it should. I read that something may be hung up on the level gage and only way is to keep an eye on it, if it is constant in this reading. OR take it to your dealer.  Dealer is some way from me, that would not be bad, but they may have it for months before I get it back..   Comments if anyone has the problem and any suggestions.

Thanks
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 6:27pm
Some good questions all around.  Since I've experimented with dry camping, I can probably help you with some of your questions.  If you choose to use the electric water heating coil, your battery will drain in time much fasters than it would with using propane only.  Even though the propane water heater doesn't use any power, you have to keep in mind that the water pump does use some battery power while in operation.  
It is because of this that I stick strictly with propane to heat my water while dry camping.  I've found that the furnace blower uses very little battery power and if you set the thermostat for a reasonable inside temperature (68 - 70 degrees), then it really won't use very much propane or power.  

As far as the black water tank sensors, I have also had issue with the sensor showing two to three lights even though it was completely drained.  The way I fixed this issue was to wash the inside of the black water tank with the wand that is sold by Walmart and other supply stores.  I was really surprised at how much toilet paper came out of the tank with washing or flushing the tank with that wand.  I am guessing that the toilet paper was covering the sensors which in turn gave the false reading.

My only other suggestion would be for you to buy a second battery if you plan on dry camping as I've already found that the dual batteries have really lasted me quite a long time as compared to only one battery. 

Edit:  Tech is right, the furnace blower does use quite a bit of battery power if it constantly goes on and off the entire night.  Like Tech said, the Pod is indeed insulated, so when I set my thermostat to 70, it really doesn't use that much power or propane as it doesn't cycle on and off all that much even when the temp is around 40.   
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 7:21pm

Unfortunately the furnace uses a ton of propane and is also a battery hog.  I wouldn't worry too much, the pod is well insulated and even down in the 40's our furnace rarely runs overnight with 4 of us inside.  The water pump is battery powered, but the electric element in the water heater is 120 volts only so when you are boondocking you must use propane.

The black tank in any RV is a problem.  My black and gray tanks have the same behavior as yours.  I've read one solution is to add some water softener after each tank flush - it makes the water slippery so everything theoretically slides out off of the sensors.  I haven't tried this yet.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 7:33pm
OK on the water wand. Just how do you approach it, from the inside, down the tolit? I guess it is pretty sure to be the way.
 Would you get a little more detailed on the Walmart product, so I know what I am looking for. Is it made for this or something else?

'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 7:34pm
Oh, one way in which I save both power and propane is to only turn on what I need to use when I need to use it.  In other words, I keep the rocker switch in the off position for the propane water heater until I really need it (i.e. to wash dishes or take a shower).  I also turn any lights off that I don't need and turn the water pump off as well during the day when I'm outside hiking or playing.  The water pump switch really doesn't matter whether it's on or off if you don't have any leaks in the system which could make it cycle on and off constantly, but it does give me some peace of mind.  I also turn the furnace off or really low during the day to save on propane.  
2004 Chevy Trailblazer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 7:37pm
The water wand is made for this purpose and if your Walmart has an RV or towing section, chances are that they also have the wand as well.  I couldn't find a link on-line at the Walmart site, but here is the link to what it looks like.
2004 Chevy Trailblazer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 7:41pm
You attach the wand to a water hose (not your drinking water hose), turn off the water pump so that when you open the toilet flush and shove the wand down in the tank, you're water pump won't constantly cycle just to refill the bowl.  What I do is move the wand up and down and twist it side to side so that I get the whole tank sprayed down.   
2004 Chevy Trailblazer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 7:41pm
ON the heating side, I much prefer a chilly sleep than a warm one! So I would probably set it as I do the house one and since the space to heat is so small I may run it down a bit more. In the day I will have it off unless we get the chilly rain.

Water softner will not interfere with anything in the system? Sounds like it might work, AFTER I get it washed outLOL the hubby thinks I am being careless and not dumping entirely, but I know that is not so. Why then would the grey water go out???

'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 7:44pm
I've found that soap scum also inhibits the sensors as well, so what I do is pour the softener in both the gray and black water tanks.  I also add a little bit of that deodorizer/treatment stuff that is specifically for RV waste water tanks into both the black and grey water tanks after each flush.  The softener won't hurt the tank at all.  
2004 Chevy Trailblazer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 7:45pm
So the cleaning CAN NOT be done while out dry camping. Have to have a water supply. Does the wand have a cut off so you can carry it to the toilet, then turn it on when it is down the hole.

You say to turn the water pump off, but when I have full hookup I would not be using the pump.

'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>