Caverkim View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 9:36pm
Congrats on your purchase and welcome!   
caver*pod 175/Louisville KY
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 9:01am
Let me join in with the choruses of welcomes and to the world of Podding.  We truly love ¡Podtástic! and have been out just about every weekend since June.  I'm so not looking forward to winter and having to put her away for a few months.  

I've learned a lot from the forums and the people here are very nice and will help out if you have any questions.  Thumbs Up
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
marshwatcher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 10:35am
Originally posted by tpierce220

I've learned a lot from the forums and the people here are very nice and will help out if you have any questions.  Thumbs Up

How true! How true! I always look forward to reading the new posts with a cup of tea in the morning! Welcome also to Cay and Company!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 10:52am
Welsome to the group! Smile  Always freel free to post with questions & comments - the more often, the better! LOL
plmain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 10:24pm
Hello
We are new owners  and new to this group. Tried to post but could only figure out how to reply so here goes.
 We bought our 175 Pod this spring in Ohio and towed it to Kansas where it sat till July. Everything worked well in the cooler weather when we bought it, but frig was terrible in summer heat. 12 volt was nearly useless. 110 volt was a little better. Wound up using propane all the time for best results and it was errattic. We've had several camper frig's before and this is by far the worst one. Anyone else  have problems?
Other than the frig and we need a lift kit, our 2 month trip to Alaska went very well. Alaska highway took its toll on paint and jacks, lights and fenders. Pretty rugged in places. Replaced both sewer caps 3 times till the lock lugs broke off the drain valves. Finally used bungee cords to hold things together till we got home. Towed it 12,000 miles and 65 - 70 MPH seemed to be the best tow speed with our 95 Dodge diesel pickup. Averaged 13MPG on the trip. Had hoped for a little better but had a cycle in the truck and no tailgate so induced a lot of drag according to a retired windtunnel test guy we met on the road. Anxious to try some of his advice. You meet the nicest people on the road it seems.
One mod we did was add a flush mount electric heater in the bathroom wall aft of the door and close to the floor. It was a tight fit but it works great. Nice and quiet and takes up NO space which is a big deal in a camper this small on a 2 month trip.

Pat
2011 175 Pod
95 Dodge Ram
sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 11:55pm
Welcome to the forum and Happy Camping !
sjf
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 7:47am
Welcome! 

Where along the Shoreline are you? We're near Mystic CT.

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 8:00am
Wow, you're braver than me.  Alaska terrain can be rough on a vehicle.  I've been up there several times and I said I would like to rent an RV (but that's probably very expensive).  However, I don't know if I would want to bang up my own R-Pod on that terrain.  But I sure do admire you - wow - 12,000 miles.  I'm impressed!
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 12:18pm
Welcome plmain!

Personally I've had much better temperature regulation with the pod's fridge than we did with our pup. On our pup I added a 12 volt fan and a baffle between the upper and lower compartments and never got to the point where I trusted food or drinks that could spoil. Ended up taking a dorm fridge with us since we always camped with full hookups and only used the pup's fridge for canned drinks and water. A few trips ago I started taking a wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer with us - with the remote unit inside the fridge and the base unit either in the tow vehicle or on the counter of the pod. On our last trip I had turn the thermostat setting down a notch to keep the fridge from going below 32 F! Make sure you have yours set on max (5 lights), and if you still have problems I can suggest a test or two to make sure your exhaust fans are working correctly.

Your mileage is about average for all pod owners. Most of us see around 12 mpg, I've gotten as low as 8 mpg with a strong headwind.

I saw a Mythbusters which tested "tailgate up" vs. "tailgate down", and they found the engineers design for the tailgate to be up for the best mpg.

I assume your electric heater faces into the living area, and doesn't protrude into the shower at all? We love pictures of mods in the mod forum.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>