R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTire Wear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire Wear
    Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 2:56pm
What kind of tire life should I expect? Is anyone else seeing an unusual wear pattern?

I have the factory supplied Towmax tires with somewhere around 5,000 miles on them and have a significant amount of wear showing up on the outside of the tread. The tire is smooth with little to no cupping where it is worn. Both sides are showing the same trend, although one side appears to be a little further along than the other.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts / input you may have for me on this.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 7:32pm
Welcome to the group, Steve!

I am not a certified mechanic but, I am curious about what kind of tire pressures you have been running?
TheDogHouse View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 8:38pm
I've seen this wear pattern on a 2 position jet ski carrier that I had. Turns out someone had lifted the trailer (loaded most likely) by placing a jack in the center of the axle causing the axle to bow downward from the center. You may want to put a long straight edge along the bottom of the axle and see if this isn't the case.
Steve and Rosa
11' 173T
09' Silverado Extended Cab
Tucker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 9:36pm
I've been running the tires at 50psi and check them every time we go out with it.

I agree that the wear pattern makes it look like the axle has too much camber and the axle does appear to slope down from the middle. I'll measure the rise tomorrow. However, the axle paint doesn't show any sign of being jacked up using the axle. Also, I bought the trailer new and I know that it hasn't happened since the trailer left the dealer. I suppose it could have been lifted by jacking under the axle by either the dealer or the factory. I guess I need to get under some other r-pods and see if mine has more bend in the axle.

Thanks for the help!
TheDogHouse View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 9:49pm
Just curious, did someone install axle risers?
Steve and Rosa
11' 173T
09' Silverado Extended Cab
Tucker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 10:36pm

We ordered it with the axle risers and I think they were installed at the factory during the initial build.

sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 10:45pm
Driving under 65 mph will make a big difference in how long your tires will last . Tire pressure is also very important.
sjf
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 1:39am
  Tucker, I would take the trailer to an RV dealer or a good trailer dealer that sells the type of axle that you have. It could be an axle issue or the axle could be out of alignment.  Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Tucker

I've been running the tires at 50psi and check them every time we go out with it.

I agree that the wear pattern makes it look like the axle has too much camber and the axle does appear to slope down from the middle. I'll measure the rise tomorrow. However, the axle paint doesn't show any sign of being jacked up using the axle. Also, I bought the trailer new and I know that it hasn't happened since the trailer left the dealer. I suppose it could have been lifted by jacking under the axle by either the dealer or the factory. I guess I need to get under some other r-pods and see if mine has more bend in the axle.

Thanks for the help!

In looking at the pictures the first thing that came to mind was a camber issue.  I had to ask about the tire pressures, however.  Typically, for the average user, the tires will dry rot before the tread wears out.

I agree that it may be time for a professional second opinion.  I am not familiar enough with straight axle/torsion bar set ups to give much advise.  Good luck!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 7:54am
Welcome.  Definitely interested in hearing what you find out.  I've made a note to check out my tires tonight.  We've done approximately 2500 miles over the last 2 years, 1500 just this past summer, so if the tires are going to wear oddly I should see it by now.

Some vehicles just wear out tires due to their design.  I've had cars that cup and chew through tires no matter how often you rotate and align and switch tire brands, and some that go 50,000 miles on a set with barely a rotation in sight.  In general I've found the ultralight cars are the ones that do the damage (especially on the rear axle where there is no weight at all) and the heavier ones ironically do better.  I'm guessing due to more skipping around on the road.  We could see the same thing with the pods, they are light.  Even with sway bars trailers bounce back and forth a little - which would put extra wear on the outer edges of the tires...
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>