FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConsidering a winter camping trip this year

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering a winter camping trip this year
    Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by tdrace

I will be at Hunting Island State Park In South Carolina New Years Eve. It has been as cold as 15 or as high as 70. Both times were great!

Camp year round!!

LOVED Hunting Island!!!!
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 7:43am
When we got our pod last fall, it was the week when the weather suddenly changed from sunny summer to wet & miserable fall.  As a result our first 3 weeks in the pod was wet, and cold Ouch

We found that the floor does get cold in socks or bare feet and would recommend a few extra thick cotton (so you can wash it in a laundromat) bathmats to be used as floor coverings.  As we weren't sure how long we would be camping last year or how early we'd start this year, we also looked briefly into a heated floor mat for when standing around prepping stuff.  The model above was what we were considering, but still haven't gotten yet.

We did buy a portable towel warmer rack that can both be use at home and attach to the over-the-door towel rack in the pod.  We plug this into the socket above the microwave cubby that is next to the bathroom in our 152.  This particular model doesn't put out a lot of heat which works well for us because we use microfibre "camp/tech" towels in the pod.  The floor models that have more bars put out more heat and are better suited for regular cotton towels and can double as a room warmer (not heater) if left plugged in.  Warmrails does make a version that is 120v convertible-floor/wall model, the warmer ones are hot to touch, so if your kids are young and pets too inquisitive, wall mounting would be preferable.  A plus side of having these towel warmers (even if they only warm the parts of the towel actually touching the bars) is that the towels dry much faster.

We bought a hairdryer, for drying hair Tongue, drying things that got wet Tongue, and for warming up boots and gloves before putting them on.

We also have electric blankets/mats that you buy in the drugstore that we plug into the exterior of the pod via extension cords to keep us warm in our camp chairs.  If you have a microwave, microwavable bean/grain-filled pillows are great for cuddling and prewarming the bed.

If possible, bring an outdoor heater to be plugged into the exterior socket.  Sometimes, inside is just too stuffy but outside is too cold. 

For food prep, we have a Thermopot (or a crockpot) to cook soups and stews and several thermoses to hold our hot beverages.  We also brought an electric kettle.

As for actual pod-mods, google tank and line heaters Smile

Good Luck and let us know what worked for you Smile

-T

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 12:41pm
My wife uses a radiant electric heater when we are sitting around the campfire. No matter how hot I get the fire she's cold! I like the idea of the towel warmer, I'll have to look into those. We used to have floor mats we could scatter around our popup during colder trips, I might have to dig them out, thanks for the reminder.

rpodcamper - so far that weekend is free on my calendar. Want to post it in the Events section and see if anyone else is interested?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 9:14pm
maybe some board games because during the winter the days are shorter. as you said plenty of firewood, how about a dutch oven to cook on the hot coals, I must learn to cook on dutch ovens, I know how to, but have not tried the real thing.  put most of the windows facing south if can to catch the sun. lots of walking to generate body heat. let us know how it comes out, now you got me thinking about doing winter camping, I bet its not crowded. Wink
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 10:36am
rpodcamper.com- can you tell me about internet availability at or in the neighborhood of French Creek SP? I wanted a work (read worry) free weekend, but the international folks I work with and for don't celebrate our holidays. It looks like I'll need to get connected at least for a little while during my stay. We will be out and about - my wife is looking forward to some Amish country shopping
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 6:46pm
As long as there is decent AT&T cell phone coverage I can get you online.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12