Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Countdown to Pick-up
    Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Footslogger03

5 days left and then we head down to pick up our R-Pod. We're getting a 2012 model 177' by the way.

Last time we bought second-hand. The previous owner gave us a nice overview but we still had to learn a lot on our own.

I am told that we are going to get and in-depth orientation to the R-Pod. We plan on taking good notes and possibly even shooting some video.

Just wondering if any current owners out there in Podsville have any suggestions on what to ask or what to pay special attention to.

Thanks in advance   ...

MJ

'Slogger, you might want to check out the walk-through videos for a new 2011 R-Pod 177 posted by PawPod in an earlier forum.  I put the links in a new discussion thread.

Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 11:17am
Ditto on the checklist. I have a full-page checklist I print out before every trip. It has things that can be done several days before (like pack towels and clothes), things to do the day before (plug the pod in, connect the battery to charge it and put the fridge on AC mode), and the day of (turn off the home water heater, turn down the home thermostats, put the pod fridge on propane).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 9:01am
We shot a video of the entire walkthrough and would watch it over and over, but when we took it out for the first time we realized that there were some things that were not covered during the walkthrough.  I ended up looking at the forum and posted questions about things that I just didn't know.  People here were quick to reply and offer suggestions.  

A checklist is great to have.  We have a routine that we go through so that we can get in and out in about 15 minutes when ¡Podtástic! shows up at the house.  We have to park illegally to get her loaded up, so we have to be quick before the police department comes to ticket.  Thumbs Up

Have fun and enjoy the world of Podding.  
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:03pm
Unless the 2012 model is better than the 2011, the owners manual is a generic manual for all FRs trailers and nearly useless.  You may need to call your dealer, and check here and ask.  These folks are great about sharing experiences.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:00pm

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 4:16pm
I'm not always good with words but, here is what I'm talking about:

A stout pin would work or, I have used in the past, just a regular padlock with a long "shank".  I bought these as a set at AutoZone and they are keyed alike.  As you can see, it also has a lock for the 2" receiver/bar.

Don't be bashful about making your own checklist* beforehand.  It is hard to remember everything during all of the excitement of the new camper.  When I picked up my RP173, the fridge didn't work.  It turned out to be that a spade connector on the back of the control panel was not pushed on.  It was a simple 15 min. fix but, better to find out then rather than later.  Jot down any questions you have and take the list with you. 

* Make sure you receive everything that you are paying for: R-Dome, microwave, spare tire, etc.
* Is the propane tank full, battery charged, etc.
* Have them show you where the water heater bypass valves are and how to operate, where the switch is for 120v. operation of the water heater, make sure the fridge operates in all 3 modes; 12v., propane and 120v., check operation of the furnace and the A/C, make sure all windows and doors operate smoothly, etc. etc. etc.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by David

Congratulations!   All of the above is great.  I also carry all of the manuals in the camper.  I sometimes will forget something and they come in handy.

You may want to pick up an inexpensive tongue/ball lock.  It fits thru the hole on the trailer tongue  and besides deterring theft, it gives one piece of mind when driving down bumpy roads.  I've never had a dealer provide anything like that.  They can be purchased at Walmart or most automotive stores.

I SWEAR, this is what I thought of when I first read your post.. and I am like "drive down the road??!!"

http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Tow-Ready/63228.html

Then I realized you meant one of the locks to go in the top of the coupler.. We have a "clip" for in there, and use something like that thing above for security..

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Redline/14-238.html

Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by David

Congratulations!   All of the above is great.  I also carry all of the manuals in the camper.  I sometimes will forget something and they come in handy.

You may want to pick up an inexpensive tongue/ball lock.  It fits thru the hole on the trailer tongue  and besides deterring theft, it gives one piece of mind when driving down bumpy roads.  I've never had a dealer provide anything like that.  They can be purchased at Walmart or most automotive stores.

=====================

David     ...will a small padlockmwork to secure the hitch/ball assembly while you havemthe Pod in-tow? We already have a hitch insert that locks in place when you are detached.

Thanks,

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 2:17pm

Hawkeyes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 12:45pm
Someone had a great idea to put all the manuals in a 3 ring binder and each book in a plastic sleeve.  I did that, even though I am not that well organized and it has been wonderful.  Then having the internet is invaluable.  We were setting up for the first time this spring (first time owning a camper) and I was frantic trying to figure out the hot water heater valves were supposed to be.  I did not want to burn it out and I knew someone had posted pictures. 
I love this website.  It was a lifesaver for us.
Have so much fun with your camper!!  We sure do.  I am actually really good at backing now.  Not embarrased to do that in front of other campers anymore. 
Hawkpod
2013 Surveyor Sport 189
2017 Chevy Silverado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>