R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedadding another brake light - help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: adding another brake light - help
    Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 1:32am
We had the recall up here in Canada,how ever it took FR for ever to get the kits out to the dealers, so I did my own recall work. FR had told my that they would reimburse me to the tune of what ever the cost to the dealer would be.I send pics to FR, they told me they had to send them to transport Canada to be aproved. That was 6 monht ago have heard nothing yet. I know the wheels of Gov. turn very slow, how ever the wheels at FR turn very very very slow.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 8:29am
Another fine job. Thanks for sharing.
sjf
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 9:34am
I agree, it looks professional. What is that bar on top, and how did you mount it?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Gretchen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 9:36am
Marwayne,

Thanks so much for SHOWING exactly what you did.  It looks great!

1. How did you affix the lights to the top?  (I am trying to avoid putting any holes in the shell if I can avoid it).
2.  Did you run the wire thru the a/c and if so were you able to hide it getting it to the light wires?

Thanks.
Gretchen in Tennessee; Excited new R-Pod 151 owner and quilter

He has set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. Ecc 3:11b
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 12:33am
     Gretchen

I can only speek for the172. I tied the wire in to the drivers side tailight ran it through the outside storage comp. under the seat than under the fridge up behind the fridge and microwave through the cabinet above the microwave, then drilled a1/4" hole through the roof.
Then build a spoiler out of plywood covered with decking material wired the lights in to spoiler.
With 4 srewes I attached the spoiler to the roof. The screws go into the metal cross member, then caulk.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Gretchen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 4:48pm
Thanks so much (a little slow) for the info and helpful picture.  Today I built the chase, alot like yours, that mounted the light to it and am about to put it on my R-Pod, but have to wait out the storm now.  I will post a couple pictures for anyone else who is doing this shortly.Star

He has set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. Ecc 3:11b
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 7:41pm
Definitely interested.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Gretchen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 8:58pm
Just to tell you, I got a 4 ft long alluminum angle at Lowes, a 15 inche LED light at the camper place, made a foam gasket, drilled a few holes to mount the light to the angle, used butt clips with heat shrink covers over the wires calked into the angle and will try to find a couple of studs to screw the angle into with short stainless steel screws.  I will use a thin tape backed wire cover to get the wires to the cover that goes down the edge, than make a hole near the bottom (or maybe come right up the under floor) into the pass thru storage where I'll turn it over to my hubby to hook up the wires.  I think.  .... more to followErmm

Gretchen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 9:15pm
Hug

Here it is!  The new brake light.  Turns out it is also an additional turn light.  I will feel MUCH safer driving now knowing others can better see when we slow down seeing as the factory brake lights are so pitifully low. 

This is a Optronics 11 light LED 3 wire Streamline light. I got it at the camper store around $20.  Bought one 1/ 1/2 x 4ft. aluminum angle at Lowes.  The light is completely enclosed in plastic, so nothing to waterproof there.  I mounted it to the angle with stainless nuts and bolts, fished the wire thru to the back where I butt spliced and heat shrink wrapped the connections, than making one small hole all the way thru, fed the wires inside and covered in a neat little  tape backed track running over to the side and down into the storage compartment where my handy husband did the wiring. 

The ends of the angle are closed with a neatly cut piece of cedar silicone calked in just so and a good bead of caulk along the top ONLY.  I left the bottom unsealed to act as a drain incase any water does get in.  It is held in by two stainless 1 inch screws, but mostly the caulk held it.  Not bad for a housewife, huh? 

Now, if anyone has made an awning for the back window, I would love to know/steal your idea.  I am thinking a piece of vinyl soffit would be light and let wind blow thru it.  I would like to see if I can do this with magnets so as not to make any new holes.   Thought appreciated.  I can't wait to get camping!!

Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 9:41pm
  I know that the back window is tinted, but you can still see through it fairly easily. It might be easier and no holes in the roof if you placed your third brake light inside the back window like they do on some SUV's.     Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>