R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedcomputer hook up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: computer hook up
    Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 7:55pm
As a Baby Boomer, I don't have to have a computer all the time, it is a great tool.  My wife and I hope to start out with one or two or 3 day weekend trips, we are new to this. When you are traveling for say maybe 1 or 2 weeks can you get internet hook ups ? should you get one of those thingies that plugs into the side of your computer, or go to star bucks and Wi Fi, or do some camping spots have Wi Fi, whats up, any suggestions.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 9:08pm
Many commercial campgrounds have wifi. Many McDonalds have wifi, and yes Starbucks is another option. We use our cell phones, with data plans.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 9:15pm
I use my EVO 4 as a backup if there is no WIFI available at the camground.
sjf
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 10:27pm
Not trying to be cute, buts whats a EVO 4 ? I fell in Indian Creek about 2 years ago and ruined my cell phone, (they don't like water i guess) I went to the cell phone store and the guy said "what are you looking for ?) I said a phone I can take and make calls on, and maybe take a picture, he said I don't know if they make those anymore, thats how far behind the curve I am. The reason I fell in Indian creek is that the week before I fell through a ceiling and ran a flouresent tube through my right leg just below the knee, 23 stitches later and a warning from the ER doc as to stupid Man behavior I got another phone, oh the reason I was at Indian Creek was the Small Mouth Bass were moving and I wade fish a lot and I could not move my right leg very well, caught my foot on a root as I was entering the creek and went in face first, saved my rod but lost my phone, My wife says there is little hope for me.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Tidalwave4455 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 11:08am
Some campgrounds have WiFi but with limited distance coverage, if the sites are far apart.  There are WiFi USB antennas that are amplified so that you can get access farther from the main lodge.  Prices are fairly affordable. Check with Google, Amazon.com, etc. to see what is available.  

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 12:44pm
We carry a laptop, and a smart phone. EVO4 is a type of smart phone. We happen to like the iPhone.. It can access the internet without wifi, but is slow when off wifi.

You can get a tethering phone, which you can use with your laptop to be a modem. Most campgrounds have at least some wifi coverage nowdays. But since we are almost out and about while camping we do any e-mail or what have you then.
Iteach5th View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 1:54pm
Lot's pf private campgrounds have WIFI. However, I've noticed the service is spotty and often slow at best. I've used by I-phone many times instead of my lap top. Think next summer I'll be going to an I-pad and using my I-phone as a WIFI source.
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right"- Henry Ford

2011 RP-177
2009 Jeep Cherokee
1982 Coleman Redwood pup
 Post Reply Post Reply