R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLED Lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED Lights
    Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 4:06pm
Rpod/ I ordered mine today on ebay, it looks like it is shipped direct from China, the price was right, thanks for the tip. I wish they would have come from an American Company, I would have paid twice the price if they would have help kept an American on the job, thanks for the tip.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by rpodcamper.com

I have just finished replacing all my lights with this:I found them on eBay and am pleased with the light.http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-T10-W5W-168-36-SMD-LED-White-Car-Side-License-Plate-Light-Bulb-Lamp-12V-New-/320760897055?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4aaed6de1f

====================

Will this bulb fit in the outside fixture ? I've already ordered all ofmthe Led's for the inside fixtures but never even thought about that yellow outside one   ...Duh !

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 3:39pm
Just got my LED's in the mail. These are the 36 element arrays that were shown by another R-Pod owner on this thread. Really like them. At least as bright, if not brighter than, the factory incandescent bulbs plus it is a "whiter" quality light. Changed out all 11 inside lights in our 177. Have one element left and might try loading it in the outside fixture.

Uploaded a pic to Dropbox and listed below is the link    ...MJ

http://db.tt/74LAMI97

dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 3:55pm
Foot/S, I ordered mine monday from the thread that rpodcamper provided, great price, I think they are coming direct from china, I hope for a bright white light with less battery drain and less heat. Since I winterized our pod I have been going down some evenings and reading manuals and after 30 or so minutes the lens on the incandecant lights are very hot, I bet after 4 or 5 hours they would get soft and or melt, however I do not want to do a "field evaluation" on melting or discoloring the len's . good luck with your new bulbs, let us know how you like them.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 4:14pm
I ordered the ones listed by "MT868" from eBay at the link he provided in the first post of this thread.

http://www.rpod-owners.com/new_reply_form.asp?PID=21141&PN=2&TR=14

I had not even touched the fixtures prior to replacing all of the incanscent bulbs with the LED arrays. The Pod was a little dark inside when I started working on the first fixture (double light right inside the door) so Imturned on the light. By the time I got the LED array out of the bag and ready to install Imcouldn't even touch the bulb in order to pull it out - - it was RED hot. Not sure how hot they ultimately get but given the distance between the bulb and the globe I can definitely see that there could be some discoloration over time. Glad I caught this early and replaced all the bulbs. The LED's can be handled while lit as there is virtually no heat output. Plus the brightness, as I said earlier is equal to or higher than that of the incandescents. Personally, I like the whiter light of the LED's too. Never truly realized the difference in light quality until I saw the side by side comparison for myself today.

Best of all was the price - - $ 0.99/per light plus shipping.

MJ
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 6:06pm
I noticed the same thing when replacing the oem bulbs, makes me wonder if they would melt the fixture covers if left on and no a/c running.
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 1:37pm

I still have the factory bulbs and haven't noticed any bubbling or discoloration.  Several have been left on for hours at a time. 

At $1 a "bulb" I might have to make the switch!  My only worry is often cheap LED lights will be overdriven (too much amperage) to make them brighter than they should be, and that results in them quickly fading and then failing.  I've experienced this with LED night lights.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by techntrek

I still have the factory bulbs and haven't noticed any bubbling or discoloration.  Several have been left on for hours at a time. 

At $1 a "bulb" I might have to make the switch!  My only worry is often cheap LED lights will be overdriven (too much amperage) to make them brighter than they should be, and that results in them quickly fading and then failing.  I've experienced this with LED night lights.
After I posted that, I thought it was silly, but I still can't get over just how hot the original bulbs get in a very short time. Will be taking the  Pod out soon and will see if the new LEDs hold up.
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by psaman

Originally posted by techntrek

After I posted that, I thought it was silly, but I still can't get over just how hot the original bulbs get in a very short time. Will be taking the  Pod out soon and will see if the new LEDs hold up.

===============

the only thing I noticed so far is that the 2-sided gel tape that comes attached to the backside of the LED arrays doesn't like to stick in cold weather - - but that's a solvable problem.

MJ
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 9:34am
     We needed more light for reading so we ordered from amazon.com a 12 volt LED reading light from Seasense. Chose the white finish, they have brass but thought the white would match better. When it arrives we will decide the best place to mount it and make the electrical connection. Will post a picture when we have it mounted.     David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>