R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLED Lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED Lights
    Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 10:00am
Originally posted by rid415

where did you get these from please

================

Here's a link to the LED elements I ordered for the inside fixtures   ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300596316284?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2657wt_1272

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 6:28pm
The light fixtures in our pod is the older double type.  Do I need to have the same bulbs on both sides or would I have a problem if I leave 1 incandescent and 1 LED in the same fixture?  G doesn't like the harsh light LEDs give off but wants to dry camp more this year. So I'm worried about heat and battery usage.

Also, does anyone have any experience with putting up LED rope lighting?  The puck lights that I had put in the storage areas have gotten bumped by other items and broken off during transit so I'm trying to figure out how to put in a low profile light.  The main areas I'm thinking of putting the rope lights in are the street side cargo area right above the door, a strip in the cabinet above the stove and a strip tucked in the front part of the microwave cubby (we don't have the microwave). 
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 1:22pm
Two different bulbs shouldn't be a problem short-term, I've heard of others doing that.  Although the extra heat from the incandescent bulb may shorten the life of the LED.  You might try selecting specific fixtures to convert to LED and only use those during dry camping.  Maybe leave the big area lights on the ceiling as incandescents and convert the task lights to LED?  Most of my task lights (except the one over the bed) are single-bulb fixtures so if yours are the same this gives you the additional benefit of running fewer fixtures and fewer bulbs when dry camping.

Look at the 3M line of wall attachments, they have hooks, loops, etc which will help mount rope lighting.  Or since the lights will be mostly hidden you could use clear packing tape.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 5:02pm
I use only LED lights.
I found this LED striplight, it has a self adhesive back, it comes in different colors, I choose the warm white because I dont like the stark white light. I put in about 9 feet.

I also found these handy trivets, they are small and they are good for 260 C or 500 F

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 11:33am
Our 152 is a 2009 and so the light fixtures are the older ones where there are 2 light bulbs in each fixture with the exception of the bathroom and 2 bunks.  Newer pods have 2 separate fixtures with a single light bulb each over the dinette/bed areas.  For example Marwayne's  mod had an LED ribbon between 2 fixtures. 

I read somewhere that I needed separate 12v wiring and a separate "box" for that other circuit because there aren't any existing 12v fixtures close to where I want the strip lights. This is so over my head Tongue

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 7:44pm

Sounds similar to mine - two single-light fixtures over the dinette, one single-light over the sink, a single light in the bathroom and a double over the bed (we took one bulb out since we use that after the kids are in bed).  Two double-bulb fixtures in the hallway.

Look for close-by 12 volt appliances.  Use your water heater as the source for your pass-through.  Run an extension from your antenna amp to your microwave cabinet, running it through the other cabinet on the way.

David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 7:14am
   For the LED reading lights I conected the wires for one light to the 12 volt wires leading to the refrigerator. And the other light to the light adove the sink. We added a extra storage compartment mounted to where the dvd tv was mounted. I ran the wires behind that out of site. LED lights take very little amperage I don't think there would be a problem overloading any wires or circuit breakers you connected to.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 2:56pm
Agreed, they shouldn't be a problem as an extra load on any circuit.
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 12:41pm
LED lites are sensitive to ambient hi-temps.  I wouldn't put an LED lit in the same fixture as an incandescent one.  The LED unit was not designed to withstand the much higher temperatures found in an incandescent fixture.  I don't think that it would last very long.  The LEDs are much more expensive to purchase but last a lot longer (if they are not cooked).
TIDALWAVE
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 11:38am
So we just bought the same 36-bulb white LEDs as rpodcamper :) Can't wait until they get here!

We also bought another pair in warm white from a different ebay vendor.  This one has 25-bulbs instead of the 36-bulbs.  Hopefully this should be enough light.

As G really detests the blue-white colour of most LEDs, I was thinking of putting a warm white and a cool white in the double fixtures.

Hopefully these will arrive by the end of the month. The shipping timetable says it could take up to 4 weeks!
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>